Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 7,976
Gender: Male
Member Number: 10438
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Bloom is off the Brady rose

Bloom is off the Brady rose
Cold, Hard Football Facts for January 19, 2011
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...rady_rose.html
By Nate Dunlevy
Cold, Hard Football Facts resident gleeful Colts fan

There was just 2:30 to play in the 2006 AFC title game, and all New England needed were 4 yards.

Four yards on third down would put the Patriots back in the Super Bowl for the fourth time in just six seasons. Overmatched Rex Grossman awaited in Miami.

But Tom Brady's pass to Troy Brown was just wide enough off the mark to allow Bob Sanders of the Colts to knife in and break it up. In what would become the dominant theme of the next four seasons, Bill Belichick's defense couldn't protect the precarious three-point lead, and the Colts, not the Patriots went to Super Bowl XLI.

Going into that game, the Patriots were 12-1 in the postseason during the Brady era. They had a tightly defined identity as a blue-collar defensive team with the perfect quarterback to coax just enough points out of the offense to win.

Tom Brady was always given credit for his incredible playoff record. But the numbers, the Cold, Hard Football Facts, say he didn't deserve the praise. In nine of those 12 playoff wins, Brady threw for fewer than 250 yards. More importantly for our purposes, he averaged less than 6.5 YPA in eight of those 12 games. Brady produced as many playoff games with a rating below 80 (five) as he did above 100. In four of his five postseasons, Brady had played poorly at least once. But every time he played poorly, his defense bailed him out.

Somewhere along the way, after that landmark 2006 AFC title game, Belichick chose to reload and redefine the Patriots. He stocked up on wide receivers like Wes Welker and Randy Moss, and Tom Brady was challenged to take his game to another level. The results were astonishing. Long decried as a “system” quarterback, Tom Brady led an all out assault on the record books.

His 2007 and 2010 seasons rank as two of the most spectacular passing efforts in history and netted him two MVP awards (assuming, as we all do, that he wins the award for the 2010 season). Brady saw his yards per attempt spike to 9.0 and beyond, as his passer rating twice soared above 110, a level few men had ever achieved. Nobody had done it twice.

Without question, Brady is a better quarter back today than he ever was when the Patriots were winning Super Bowls. He has improved in every aspect of playing the position.

They don't call him a caretaker anymore.

They don't call him a system quarterback anymore.

But they don’t call him a champion anymore, either.

Belichick's gambit to remake the Patriots into an aerial offensive force produced spectacular regular season results, but has left New England high and dry in the playoffs. Since starting his career 12-1, Tom Brady's Patriots have lost four of six playoff games, including the last three straight.

Brady hasn't always played poorly. His rating has wavered mostly in the 80s. But the same performances that held up so well when supported by an elite defense were not nearly enough as that defense suddenly grew old, and then just as suddenly became too young.

New England’s glory years support the belief that Brady did just enough to get bailed out by a great defense.

2001 playoffs – Tom Brady had brutal day in the snow against the Raiders, but when his touchdown run cut the Oakland lead to three with less than eight minutes to play, his defense forced two punts by an offense led by Pro Bowler and future MVP Rich Gannon, who was in the middle of a four year run of dominant quarterback play.

2003 playoffs – Tom Brady posted a rating of 73.3 against the Titans, and but his field goal drive with four minutes left held up as his defense harassed Steve McNair, forcing the Titans into a grounding call and a holding call with under two minutes to play and the ball at the New England 33.

2003 playoffs – Tom Brady posted a rating of 76.1 against Indianapolis, but his defense stopped the Colts on four straight plays in the closing minutes to secure the win.

Things started to change when Brady’s mediocre performances weren’t enough to when paired with a defense that couldn’t hold a lead:

2006 playoffs – Tom Brady posted a rating of 79.5 in Indianapolis, but went home a loser as his defense allowed an 80-yard touchdown drive to win the game in the final two minutes.

2007 playoffs – Tom Brady was battered in the Super Bowl, but gave the Patriots a lead late in the fourth quarter, only to see his defense struggle to stop Eli Manning, who led to fourth-quarter touchdown drives.

2010 playoffs – Tom Brady struggled to read the Jets coverage, but got his team to within three points at the end of the third quarter. His defense then allowed a 75-yard drive (all through the air) to a young quarterback (Mark Sanchez) with a career passer rating of 70.

Tom Brady is a better quarterback than he has ever been before. Hey may have been better this season than anyone ever. His team, however, is not nearly as good as they once were.

Tom Brady didn't carry the Patriots to three Super Bowl wins. He didn't carry them to another one this year, either. The only difference is that, this time, football fans expected him to deliver. But the truth is that he's just not up to the task.

(Can't cheat anymore so he can't win. I'm glad to see the fraud Brady being exposed. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,356
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 2,628
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts
Default Re: Bloom is off the Brady rose

This article reads like the other mean girls turning on the homecoming queen after she got drunk at the prom and saying they never really liked her
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
OX1947
Living Legend
 
OX1947's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,893
Member Number: 723
Thanks: 214
Thanked 1,247 Times in 627 Posts
Default Re: Bloom is off the Brady rose

Brady finally got the taste of what Manning has had to deal with most of his career. Its pretty crazy how much manning gets crap for choking when Brady has choked even worse the last 5 years.

Pretty crazy thing i saw the other day too involving manning. He just finished up his 13th year. With his new contract and longevity, if he ends up playing 7 more years, he is on pace to throw 600 TDs, and throw 83,000 yards. And if he continues that pace, would play in all 320 games he has played in and started. Just amazing when you think about it.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,356
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 2,628
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts
Default Re: Bloom is off the Brady rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Brady finally got the taste of what Manning has had to deal with most of his career. Its pretty crazy how much manning gets crap for choking when Brady has choked even worse the last 5 years.

Pretty crazy thing i saw the other day too involving manning. He just finished up his 13th year. With his new contract and longevity, if he ends up playing 7 more years, he is on pace to throw 600 TDs, and throw 83,000 yards. And if he continues that pace, would play in all 320 games he has played in and started. Just amazing when you think about it.
But for whatever reason Manning has different results and stats in the playoffs - even in the one year the Colts won the SB this column in The Indy Star notes it was not because Manning had lights out passing stats

The truth? Manning pales in the postseason

Peyton Manning is not a good playoff quarterback.

Period.

You can talk all you want about the Colts' wobbly run defense, their eternal special teams woes and the fact Manning doesn't get a lot of possessions. Fact is, he's hamstrung by all the same factors during the regular season and still continues to put up monster numbers and score points.

But after a sample size of 19 games, it's pretty clear: He's a different quarterback in the playoffs. He's a lesser quarterback in the playoffs. I don't know if it's paralysis by overanalysis or what, but after all these years, I still don't trust him in a playoff game.
The stats don't lie: His teams are 9-10 in the postseason. His teams have been one-and-done seven times. His quarterback rating, 94.9 during the regular season, is 88.4 in the postseason. In those 10 playoff losses, the Colts have averaged a touch more than 14 points per game....

Go back and think about the Super Bowl run: He was ordinary against Kansas City. Managed a terrific but touchdown-less game against Baltimore. Had the great second half against New England after throwing the first-half pick-six. Good enough against Chicago on a day when Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes should have shared the MVP.

His QB rating for that postseason was 70.5.


http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...les-postseason

OTOH, if you need a QB to throw 5 TDs and blow out the Lions on Thanksgiving Day Peyton Manning is your guy

Michael Wilbon has been saying for years t\hat if his life depended on a QB winning one game he would not want Brady or Manning playing that game - Wilbon would pick Roethlisberger
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
GMU Steeler
Living Legend
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,042
Member Number: 16173
Thanks: 47
Thanked 922 Times in 486 Posts
Default Re: Bloom is off the Brady rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
But for whatever reason Manning has different results and stats in the playoffs - even in the one year the Colts won the SB this column in The Indy Star notes it was not because Manning had lights out passing stats

The truth? Manning pales in the postseason

Peyton Manning is not a good playoff quarterback.

Period.

You can talk all you want about the Colts' wobbly run defense, their eternal special teams woes and the fact Manning doesn't get a lot of possessions. Fact is, he's hamstrung by all the same factors during the regular season and still continues to put up monster numbers and score points.

But after a sample size of 19 games, it's pretty clear: He's a different quarterback in the playoffs. He's a lesser quarterback in the playoffs. I don't know if it's paralysis by overanalysis or what, but after all these years, I still don't trust him in a playoff game.
The stats don't lie: His teams are 9-10 in the postseason. His teams have been one-and-done seven times. His quarterback rating, 94.9 during the regular season, is 88.4 in the postseason. In those 10 playoff losses, the Colts have averaged a touch more than 14 points per game....

Go back and think about the Super Bowl run: He was ordinary against Kansas City. Managed a terrific but touchdown-less game against Baltimore. Had the great second half against New England after throwing the first-half pick-six. Good enough against Chicago on a day when Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes should have shared the MVP.

His QB rating for that postseason was 70.5.


http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...les-postseason

OTOH, if you need a QB to throw 5 TDs and blow out the Lions on Thanksgiving Day Peyton Manning is your guy

Michael Wilbon has been saying for years t\hat if his life depended on a QB winning one game he would not want Brady or Manning playing that game - Wilbon would pick Roethlisberger
What's amazing to me is if Ben and the Steelers beat the Packers then Ben will have as much playoff wins as Peyton despite the fact that the Colts have the longest active playoff apperance streak. And Mike Wilbon's absolutely right. I won't call Brady a bad QB but I've never seen him in a situation where he needed a TD in a big game and got it. When the Pats won their SBs, they were winning because of their D and the fact that Brady got them in Vinateri's range. Ben meanwhile when we needed a TD to beat the Cardinals two Super Bowls back got it. It's been said already but Joe Montana isn't considered a great QB because of stats but because of what hew as in the clutch and that is what Ben is for us and I wouldn't have it any other way.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
OX1947
Living Legend
 
OX1947's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,893
Member Number: 723
Thanks: 214
Thanked 1,247 Times in 627 Posts
Default Re: Bloom is off the Brady rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
But for whatever reason Manning has different results and stats in the playoffs - even in the one year the Colts won the SB this column in The Indy Star notes it was not because Manning had lights out passing stats

The truth? Manning pales in the postseason

Peyton Manning is not a good playoff quarterback.

Period.

You can talk all you want about the Colts' wobbly run defense, their eternal special teams woes and the fact Manning doesn't get a lot of possessions. Fact is, he's hamstrung by all the same factors during the regular season and still continues to put up monster numbers and score points.

But after a sample size of 19 games, it's pretty clear: He's a different quarterback in the playoffs. He's a lesser quarterback in the playoffs. I don't know if it's paralysis by overanalysis or what, but after all these years, I still don't trust him in a playoff game.
The stats don't lie: His teams are 9-10 in the postseason. His teams have been one-and-done seven times. His quarterback rating, 94.9 during the regular season, is 88.4 in the postseason. In those 10 playoff losses, the Colts have averaged a touch more than 14 points per game....

Go back and think about the Super Bowl run: He was ordinary against Kansas City. Managed a terrific but touchdown-less game against Baltimore. Had the great second half against New England after throwing the first-half pick-six. Good enough against Chicago on a day when Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes should have shared the MVP.

His QB rating for that postseason was 70.5.


http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...les-postseason

OTOH, if you need a QB to throw 5 TDs and blow out the Lions on Thanksgiving Day Peyton Manning is your guy

Michael Wilbon has been saying for years t\hat if his life depended on a QB winning one game he would not want Brady or Manning playing that game - Wilbon would pick Roethlisberger
Big Ben HAS to win this Super Bowl. He can not lose this Super Bowl. He doesnt even need to win the MVP. He just needs to win. 3-0 means clutch forever, 2-1 means, he played well once, lost one and his defense got him the other one.....
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,356
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 2,628
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts
Default Re: Bloom is off the Brady rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Big Ben HAS to win this Super Bowl. He can not lose this Super Bowl. He doesnt even need to win the MVP. He just needs to win. 3-0 means clutch forever, 2-1 means, he played well once, lost one and his defense got him the other one.....
At which point he will be 9-3 in the playoffs and 3-1 in conference championship games

Beats being 0-3 (Fran Tarkenton) or 0-4 (Jim Kelly) in Super Bowls

Both are in Canton
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #8
OX1947
Living Legend
 
OX1947's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,893
Member Number: 723
Thanks: 214
Thanked 1,247 Times in 627 Posts
Default Re: Bloom is off the Brady rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
At which point he will be 9-3 in the playoffs and 3-1 in conference championship games

Beats being 0-3 (Fran Tarkenton) or 0-4 (Jim Kelly) in Super Bowls

Both are in Canton
Look man, losing Super Bowl XXX killed me. I can't handle a Super Bowl loss. I think it's more me telling myself that.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,356
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 2,628
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts
Default Re: Bloom is off the Brady rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Look man, losing Super Bowl XXX killed me. I can't handle a Super Bowl loss. I think it's more me telling myself that.
Agreed that a loss wouild be brutal after all it took to get this far

Bradshaw has said he cannot imagine what it would feel like to lose a Super Bowl and fortunately never had to find out
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
TRH
Living Legend
 
TRH's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bath, Ohio
Posts: 4,650
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17206
Thanks: 117
Thanked 305 Times in 209 Posts
Default Re: Bloom is off the Brady rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU Steeler View Post
What's amazing to me is if Ben and the Steelers beat the Packers then Ben will have as much playoff wins as Peyton despite the fact that the Colts have the longest active playoff apperance streak. And Mike Wilbon's absolutely right. I won't call Brady a bad QB but I've never seen him in a situation where he needed a TD in a big game and got it. When the Pats won their SBs, they were winning because of their D and the fact that Brady got them in Vinateri's range. Ben meanwhile when we needed a TD to beat the Cardinals two Super Bowls back got it. It's been said already but Joe Montana isn't considered a great QB because of stats but because of what hew as in the clutch and that is what Ben is for us and I wouldn't have it any other way.


It's all about "padding stats", one of the most over-rated things in the game. Its highly unfortunate.
It's made me wonder in the past when the Colts or the Pats were blowing somebody out in the 4th like 40-3 and then they throw like five passes in a row (usually resulting in another TD of course...), which even against the strongest argument, is completely un-necessary.
Nothing wrong with scoring, but there's your chance to run the ball, run the clock, whatever, and they won't do it. Really makes ya wonder if its all about just adding yardage and TD throws, doesn't it?
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts