Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
wutchy
Banned

Member Number: 17595
Default field position and a banged up secondary

I'm worried about two things for this weekend game against the Jets.
Field Position
Banged Up Secondary

The Steelers surely will lose the field position battle because the Jets are obviously far superior as far as special teams go. Steeler special teams is a "glaring" weakness.

That will put extra pressure on the defense to stop the Jets offense from scoring - even field goals.

That makes every pass completed against the Steelers that much more important. 5 field goals IS 15 points.

B MAC has hip and AB problems that are hard to shake. Both those injuries are especially hard on a player.
B MAC and Will Allen both didn't practice. Allen has a knee.

Field position, coupled with a banged up secondary, are huge areas of concern for me going into this game.

I think we'll see a lot of dime coverage, which takes the Steelers out of their A-Game of 4 LB's. The B-Game may have to suffice.

Ike, Gay, and Madison - with Clark, Polamalu, and Mundy, will have to make plays to win this game. They are going to have to turn the field position game with playmaking.
wutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527
Default Re: field position and a banged up secondary

What is your deal? Are you suicide-prone by any chance? I'm mean you seriously need to starting looking at things in a more positive light!
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,113 Times in 2,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutchy View Post
[youtube]YYqnoULgD30[/youtube]
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Gay for the last 4 games has consistently made plays. They just need to keep Troy from floating to much and taking chances, thereby shutting down half the field in mid to deep routes.

McF has been more of a liability at times than an asset anyway.

We will be plenty fine.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251

Quote:
Field Position
Banged Up Secondary

The Steelers surely will lose the field position battle because the Jets are obviously far superior as far as special teams go.
Why bother playing then.

Quote:
5 field goals IS 15 points.
No shit. Looks like we have a rocket scientist in our midst people.

Quote:
B MAC has hip and AB problems that are hard to shake. Both those injuries are especially hard on a player.
Again, no shit. Tell me who isn't banged up this time of year.

Quote:
I think we'll see a lot of dime coverage, which takes the Steelers out of their A-Game of 4 LB's. The B-Game may have to suffice.
What? They want to run the ball, we will not be in a lot of dime coverage, did you even watch the last game between these two teams? Have you watched any of the Jets playoff games?

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182

steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,156 Posts

wutchy must be french for wussy... everyone of his posts are of the doom and gloom ,throw in the towel , surrender , we should just forfeit nature.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Gay for the last 4 games has consistently made plays. They just need to keep Troy from floating to much and taking chances, thereby shutting down half the field in mid to deep routes.

McF has been more of a liability at times than an asset anyway.

We will be plenty fine.

As for kick-offs, I would agree on starting field position. Only because our kicker doesn't have a huge driving leg. But that only comes into play after WE would score, or the opening kick-off. But our punt coverage has been pretty steady for the most part. The key will not be our secondary. The key will be our front-7, and our ability to keep Sanchez from being in the constant 3rd and 5 or less plays where he has gotten into a rythum. Put Sanchez in 3rd and 8 or longer, and he mostly fails. Also footing will be huge for the Jets two cutback runners. Our field the first game against them was in great condition. And the team got it ready for the first playoff game against Baltimore, but are not doing anything for this weeks game. Which means footing for Tomlinson and Greene will be tough. Usually I love the idea of kicking off to our opponents so we can start on defense, and get the 2nd half kick-off. But in this case, I want us to get the ball first. I want to see us at the leaast drive it to the 40 yard line or so, and if we do have to punt, we can give Sanchez a 90 Yd + field to look at his opening drive. And the chances are he will be nervouse, and make a mistake.

And that's when we steal momentum, and this game
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
steelerschik
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16103

Quote:
Originally Posted by grward View Post
What is your deal? Are you suicide-prone by any chance? I'm mean you seriously need to starting looking at things in a more positive light!
LOL, this is a Ravens fan or Jets fan, leaning towards Ravens since all his anti-Steelers posts started before the Ravens game. I mean really, he still had Stefan Logan on the roster yesterday. Can't even troll properly.
steelerschik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Field Position
Banged Up Secondary

The Steelers surely will lose the field position battle because the Jets are obviously far superior as far as special teams go. Steeler special teams is a "glaring" weakness.

That will put extra pressure on the defense to stop the Jets offense from scoring - even field goals.

That makes every pass completed against the Steelers that much more important. 5 field goals IS 15 points.

Field position, coupled with a banged up secondary, are huge areas of concern for me going into this game.

Ike, Gay, and Madison - with Clark, Polamalu, and Mundy, will have to make plays to win this game. They are going to have to turn the field position game with playmaking.

1. "the Steelers will surely lose the field position battle" ?
there's NO WAY of knowing that right now. No way. If we play well, its entirely possible that we win that battle.

2. That said...........i will agree w/you that the Jets S/T's unit is without question better than ours. Ours is one step above a disaster and has cost us terrible field position in most of our losses this year.
I will give you this.....its going to be a critical aspect of Sunday's game. We can't allow them to be running kick-offs back to mid-field and beyond constantly. We also can't allow them to be punting us back inside our 10 yard line and expect the offense to be marching 90 yards all the time.
WE HAVE to win this battle. I believe the S/T's play, field position the #1 part of the S/T's, is absolutely one of the most important parts of this game and if someone clearly wins this one, it wouldn't be surprising if they also won the game.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote