Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
TailgateMel
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8498
Default Re: field position and a banged up secondary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
[youtube]YYqnoULgD30[/youtube]

You don't happen to tailgate in Blue 7G or Blue 7H do you? The guy who is the blaring DJ in Blue 7G plays that clip over the loudspeaker about 25x per tailgate....

100% Certified Grade-A SteelerChick
TailgateMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateMel View Post
You don't happen to tailgate in Blue 7G or Blue 7H do you? The guy who is the blaring DJ in Blue 7G plays that clip over the loudspeaker about 25x per tailgate....
LOL

Nope - just seemed like an appropriate response to someone who worries too much and appears to have trouble getting to sleep
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
ruruthagame
Water Boy

Member Number: 17791

SPECIAL TEAMS COVERAGE,HAS BEEN A ISSUE FOR A FEW YEARS,AND ITS A VITAL AREA IN A GAME LIKE THIS IS GOING TO BE,BECAUSE SANCHAZ NEEDS EVER ADVANTAGE HE CAN GET,A SHORT FEILD BENIFTS HIM MORE,BUT IF WE CAN GET PRESSURE/AND PUT HIM IN 3RD AND LONG SITUATIONS I BELEIVE WELL BE ALRIGHT,
Old 01-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #14
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

i dont see how anyone can be worried. everyone keeps thinking this will be a very close game but i gurentee we beat the hell out of them. this is the jets not the ravens and when they got lucky and beat the pats last weekend they gave us our super bowl tickets. this will be a much easier game then most think. i doubt our offense will have to score more then 2td's because our defense will get 1 or 2
Old 01-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #15
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,523 Times in 3,137 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
i dont see how anyone can be worried. everyone keeps thinking this will be a very close game but i gurentee we beat the hell out of them. this is the jets not the ravens and when they got lucky and beat the pats last weekend they gave us our super bowl tickets. this will be a much easier game then most think. i doubt our offense will have to score more then 2td's because our defense will get 1 or 2
I don't take any game for granted. I still am haunted by the AFCCG's against the Chargers and Pats(1st meeting) where I thought victory was almost a sure thing.

Now I'm confident as hell our team can come out and win it, for sure. But I just don't ever say it's guaranteed. You know?
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #16
WickedSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17099

The thing that worries me is the Steelers' struggles against the short and intermediate passes coupled with their difficulty pressuring the QB at times this season. The Steelers have has a weak secondary for quite some time now but it was masked by their ability to pressure and sack the QB and force him into mistakes. Lately they have had some trouble pressuring the QB and their secondary gets torched.

I am confident that the D can effectively shut down Green and LT but picking them up out of the backfield may be a problem. Dustin Keller also provides a problem. He is more like and overgrown WR and provides match up nightmares with LBs. If the OC for the Jets calls plays that allow Sanchez to get rid of the ball quickly to check downs, he could eat the Steelers D for lunch. That is exactly how the Pats beat us all the time. If Ike is going to be covering Holmes, I am concerned about an injured B Mac covering a very big and physical Edwards. We all saw Braylon's TD against the Pats where he drug to defenders with him into the endzone. The Jets are going to be throwing and if Sanchez has time, he can make the throws. Troy needs to bring his A+ game this week also. He needs to be in position to make the play and be a factor.

On the offensive side, the O-line needs to be tremendous. Ben needs to be able to find the open receiver without having defenders in his face on every drop back. Revis will probably do a great job covering Wallace and Cromartie will probably be superb on Ward also. Add to the fact that Heath will probably have to do a lot of blocking to keep the Jets out of Ben's face and that leaves Sanders and Brown to carry the offense. Arians needs to call a flawless game and not be looking for the homerun on every play. He needs to do exactly what the Pats do so well and take what the D gives to you. Short completions for 7 yards are just fine if that's what the D will give you. If you have success running the ball and hitting the short routes, you can get the safeties to cheat up a little and then try for the bomb in man coverage. Arians needs to get Ben into some 3 and 5 step drops to get rid of the ball quickly. I feel that the Jets will bring the pressure hard to get to Ben. They are confident in their corners playing man to man and will blitz regardless of what Ryan is saying.

And lastly the special teams need to have a solid game. They can't allow kick and punt returns to midfield all the time and give the Jets a short field. Even if they don't score, it will allow them to pin the Steelers deep and force them to go 90+ yards on their D.

Keys to the game:

1. Pressure Sanchez and force mistakes.
2. Protect Ben and take what the D gives you. It doesn't have to be a HR every time Bruce!
3.-Field position is key. Both offenses are pedestrian so field position is important.

The weather may also play a role too. The temperature at game time will likely be in the low teens and falling as the night wears on. The football will be hard and slick, the turf will be like concrete and cramping may become and issue for some players.
WickedSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #17
caseyviator
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17468

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
great post this has been what ive been sayin hey we didnt play that well last time and still should have won..also we did not have miller and troy 2 big time players and they got a gift kick return/
this time its a technical blowout 37-23 which is only 14points but thats with us up alot and doin alot of 4th quarter running to kill time...this game is not close
iN TRUTH thEY gave US OUR SUPERBOWL TICKETs by beatin new england
caseyviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #18
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

Steelers passing game before the Patriots* game ranked 28th, now we are ranked 12th I believe. Before the Pats game we were giving up over 200 yards passing a game. Since then we are giving up 156 yards a game. That is a huge improvement. Basically to get from the 28th ranking to the 12th spot in less than half a season means you have to have the best pass defense during that period. I'm not concerned about them throwing all over us. We've been playing a lot more press coverage lately when blitzing to take away those short to intermediate routes. Timmons can cover Keller with out too much trouble.

What they need to be concerned about is Miller against their cement footed(no pun intended) linebackers. That's a glaring hole for them, they reallly don't have passrushing linebackers, they are mostly run stuffers that can't get to the edge.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #19
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSteel View Post
Lately they have had some trouble pressuring the QB and their secondary gets torched.
I do agree with pretty much all your points in the rest of your post...but have you even watched any games since the Pats game? When have they had trouble getting to the QB and when has the secondary been getting burned?

I'll admit that for some of the season they were letting up a lot of yardage, but they weren't allowing very many TD's or points in general. The only real anomaly was the Pats game. In fact, they let up the fewest points in the league. Getting torched usually equals letting up big plays for points. That just didn't happen a lot at all this season.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #20
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSteel View Post
The thing that worries me is the Steelers' struggles against the short and intermediate passes coupled with their difficulty pressuring the QB at times this season.
I thought the Steelers did very well against those dump passes the Ravens tried. Best I've seen them respond. Seemed like every time Flacco dumped to the outlet, 2-3 defenders converged on the guy which resulted in 2 or 3 yard gains.

Also, the Steelers haven't struggled in pressuring the QB during the playoffs. Seems they turn up the heat a notch or two in the post season.

I really feel this team is peaking now. The defense is playing the best it's played all year and seeing the offense hang 24 in the second half against a solid defensive team makes me feel pretty good.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote