Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-20-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Free Agency -Steelers

As a mental break from the Jets game, consider the Free agents available.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

Which free agents would you like to see the Steelers make a run at (Besides our own)? Jonathan Joseph would be nice.

Do you want Willie Colon back? Everyone was always picking on him and as soon as he went down, the media was saying we lost out best blocker.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,491 Times in 2,758 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Free Agency -Steelers

most of the sacks we gave up were from interior linemen, hartwig leading the league and beating the #2 guy by almost twice as much in sacks allowed. I think our o-line was actually good out of the gates this year, but when starks went down, we had problems. resigning colon would be something I'd do. I always thought we were ok at tackles, but our interior linemen were seriously lacking. colon was called our best blocker, well, cause he did do a decent job at it and is still relatively young
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
most of the sacks we gave up were from interior linemen, hartwig leading the league and beating the #2 guy by almost twice as much in sacks allowed. I think our o-line was actually good out of the gates this year, but when starks went down, we had problems. resigning colon would be something I'd do. I always thought we were ok at tackles, but our interior linemen were seriously lacking. colon was called our best blocker, well, cause he did do a decent job at it and is still relatively young
I'm not going to lie. I've never been a Colon fan but I have been a supporter of Starks. I keep wondering whether the improvement in our running game has something to do with Flozelle Adams. I do still see him getting beat with pass blocking though.

Will we still be able to run with Colon?

BTW: Before I didn't care but now I do. Willie Gay will be a free agent. Then again, we have to try to break in Buttler and Lewis sometime. Why not at nickel?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,491 Times in 2,758 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

flozell is definitely better at the run blocking, no doubt. but worse at the pass blocking. colon isn't as much of a liability to get beaten by a speed rusher, i suppose both have ups and downs, but flo isn't the long term solution (though i like him, he's old). colon should be serviceable in the running game.

i hope we can keep gay, in today's nfl you need a lot of db depth, so I say re-sign gay and have him battle against lewis and butler. I think butler will see some playing time next year, maybe even win the nickel db spot, he I predict will be one of the steals of the draft. He was money in college and qb's just eventually never threw at him, reason why his stock dropped. but gay, he's a good nickel guy with a lot of years ahead of him, I'd be disappointed if they didn't sign him.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
flozell is definitely better at the run blocking, no doubt. but worse at the pass blocking. colon isn't as much of a liability to get beaten by a speed rusher, i suppose both have ups and downs, but flo isn't the long term solution (though i like him, he's old). colon should be serviceable in the running game.

i hope we can keep gay, in today's nfl you need a lot of db depth, so I say re-sign gay and have him battle against lewis and butler. I think butler will see some playing time next year, maybe even win the nickel db spot, he I predict will be one of the steals of the draft. He was money in college and qb's just eventually never threw at him, reason why his stock dropped. but gay, he's a good nickel guy with a lot of years ahead of him, I'd be disappointed if they didn't sign him.
If Colon sucks at run blocking, we should let him go. I don't know what serviceable means but if our run...especially short run effectiveness drops to 2009 level, that will be a service which gets no tip. If he can match Flozelle in run blocking and do better in pass, then fine. I still have a lot of memories of him getting beat in pass blocking but some of that may have been miscommunication with Coach Z's scheme. He was often totally fooled rather than being overpowered or beat on the outside.

Good point on Gay. It would be nice to get him back but truth be told, I think the nickel is the best way to develop young CBs and if he were to win it again next year, we would not be able to develop Butler and Lewis. I don't think you can just give Butler or Lewis a starting CB spot. Even though Gay might be a better nickel CB then Butler and Lewis in the beginning of the season, allowing them to play might make them better. I wish there was an arena league or Europe where those 2 could play...get coaching techniques then get the chance to practice them.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
SteelKnight
Team President

I'm tired of having 4 headaches wrt the O-line. I hope we can get Mike Pouncey so it van be cut down to 3 head aches.

BTW. I hope the Jets resign Holmes so the Ravens don't get him. That would annoy the hell out of me.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #7
chitownpit
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16129

I say take care of our own, colon is a way up grade from Flo Zo and like earlier
mentioned, you never have enough DB`s so sign Gay as well. Our defensive
scheme is one not quickly taken in by new personal.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

The problem with the oline aside from the obvious is, 2 to 3 guys are hurt. they may feel it doesn't need fixing if they are back and Pouncey makes them all better anyway. That could be good or bad, lol

On to the list:

Any position we fill, I hope to some extent we take into consideration players who can play special teams.

QB, safe to say we are secure there.

RB, wouldn't mind a power back where I dont have to hold my breath every time we hand the ball off 4 yards deep in the backfield to go 1 yard forward.

Kuhn, wouldn't be bad if we can use the FB position a little more. ST's he is good addition.

WR: Um, no, feeling good there with 3 horses in the stall and Ward having mayne one more year left in his tank.

TE: Nope. al though Zach miller is intriguing to go with a 2 TE set and one side always pulling back than breaking if the pressure goes opposite. but to costly.

K: All depends who can kick at Heinz field, it sure would be nice to have vinateri if he can boot it there, or even longwell.

OL: Need help, a side from Pouncey any of them could be replaced. As long as its not people like Scott. Gonna cost big though.

DL: Eason and HJoke will be resigned, Smithh to some extent could be back. Draft a mountain in the 4th round. We do not need to sign anyone via FA

LB: Do we really even need to list thie here, lol Sign Woodley!!
I would argue their comments that woodley took a step back this year. I do not feel that is the case.

DB: Torn here, but we definately need some help here, pending of course what they do with Taylor, who imo should be back.

Safety: We go as Troy goes with us. All depends on our depth and shelf life and intentions of what we have now.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
Matt91
Water Boy

Member Number: 17785

Resign Woodley. Period.

Then let's search some good CB and a Kicker at the Draft, then the Offseason is over
Matt91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt91 View Post
Resign Woodley. Period.

Then let's search some good CB and a Kicker at the Draft, then the Offseason is over
HUH? I agree we sign Wood...but we don't need to DRAFT a kicker! A CB either in the first or second would be sweet.
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote