Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-21-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Veteran Adams wants a Super Bowl trip

Veteran Adams wants a Super Bowl trip
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...bowl-trip.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times
Thursday January 20, 2011 11:56 PM

PITTSBURGH — Unlike the other seasoned veterans he plays with, Flozell Adams has never experienced the thrill of playing in a Super Bowl. In his first 12 years in the NFL, he never even made it to a conference championship game.

That’s why he signed with the Steelers in July.

“I already knew about the tradition the Steelers had,” said Adams, a mammoth offensive tackle who goes 6-foot-7 and 330 pounds. “During all those years I played in Dallas, we’d see the Steelers on film. I always admired the way they played and the way they’d go about things as a team and an organization. I admired their style and character. So once I got a call from them, I was definitely there.”

The call from Pittsburgh came in July as the Steelers pondered a serious predicament on the offensive line. Right tackle Willie Colon suffered a freak season-ending injury while working out at team headquarters. His season was over with a torn Achilles’ tendon. On July 21, Colon, highly regarded as a player and leader in the locker room, was placed on injured reserve.

“It was very disappointing to lose Willie,” said Sean Kugler, the Steelers’ first-year offensive line coach. “But injuries happen, so we had to quickly look at what was our best chance to win.”

On July 30 as the team headed to training camp, it was determined that Adams, at age 35, was the Steelers’ best option.

A five-time Pro Bowler during his 12-year stay in Dallas, Adams was signed to a two-year deal worth $7.5 million with no signing bonus. He’s being paid $2.5 million this year and will be paid $5 million if he makes the team next year.

For the time being, Adams isn’t thinking past Sunday. He wants to do whatever he can to help the Steelers beat the Jets. If the Steelers win, Adams will play in his first Super Bowl at Cowboys Stadium, the two-year-old palace of a stadium.

“That would be cool, but I wouldn’t care where it is,” he said. “The important thing is just getting to the Super Bowl regardless of where it is.”

This season, Adams has been a stabilizing force on an offensive line that started the season as the team’s weak link.
Advertisement Click Here

A left tackle in Dallas, Adams made the transition to the right side and has played well. His skills and smarts have rubbed off on others on the team. He’s been a great help to the three right guards (Trai Essex, Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster) who’ve played next to him at various times his season. He’s helped mentor rookie center Maurkice Pouncey.

“Even though I’m not playing right now, it’s been a joy to have Flozell on the team,” said left tackle Max Starks, who was placed on injured reserve on Nov. 10 with a neck injury. “He’s the ultimate pro. He’s big. Strong. Smart. He’s technically sound. He knows all the tricks of the trade. And he has a little bit of a nasty streak in him.”

Then last week in the divisional playoff win over Baltimore, Adams also proved that he’s willing to do anything to help the team win. In the days leading up to the game, he was sick with flu-like symptoms. And during the game, he had to retreat to the locker room where he vomited profusely.

The team’s medical staff was pumping all kinds of medicines into him orally and intravenously. He was lying on a table in the training room when the third quarter began.

But when left tackle Jonathan Scott was shaken up and had to leave the game, Adams returned to the field. He was sick but wanted desperately help the team win.

Just as Adams was walking into the field, he was stopped by coach Mike Tomlin. Adams wanted to play, but Tomlin would never allow a player in his condition to re-enter the game.

“It was an ugly scene but a beautiful one,” said Tomlin, who did allow Adams to play on the extra-point team. “We appreciated his intentions. All this guy wants to do is win. He wants to be part of a winner.”

During his tenure in Dallas, Adams played on teams that went 1-5 in the playoffs.

Now he’s playing for a team playing in the AFC Championship Game for the fifth time in 10 years.

“It’s been a pretty good year for me,” he said. “It’s been a pretty good year for our whole team. The goal is almost fulfilled.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148
Default Re: Veteran Adams wants a Super Bowl trip

It would be such a slap in the face to Jerry Jones and the Cowgirls organization if we win this weekend and Big Flo gets to go to Dallas and win a title with us. Can't play for Dallas, OK, I'll go to Pittsburgh and win a super bowl, (not to mention STEELER NATION taking over TEXAS!!)

Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,996 Times in 904 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Veteran Adams wants a Super Bowl trip

Quote:
not to mention STEELER NATION taking over TEXAS
hell yeah
fer522 is online now   Reply With Quote