Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Jets must think fast against speedy Steelers WR Mike Wallace

Jets must think fast against speedy Steelers WR Mike Wallace
Published: Friday, January 21, 2011, 5:02 AM Updated: Friday, January 21, 2011, 10:42 AM
Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger By Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...with_spee.html

After the Jets' victory over the Patriots last Sunday, many observers said Tom Brady got hit so much because his “internal clock,” the imaginary device in his head telling him when to throw the ball, was off.

Well, it was the Jets’ secondary that put Brady’s timing on the fritz.

“One of the reasons we’ve been successful these past two weeks is we’ve been able to disguise our man coverages, disguise our zones,” defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said, “and make it uncomfortable not just for the quarterback reading what we’re in (but also) the receivers have to be on the same page as well if they’re running the route the quarterback thinks they should be running.”

Pettine’s statement came in response to a question about the Steelers’ Mike Wallace, one of the fastest wide receivers in the NFL. Pettine believes one of the keys to slowing down Wallace is to mix the looks they give him, though he admitted it’ll often be “Football 101: If you have a great vertical threat, as many times as you can you want to jam him at the line and keep somebody high over the top.”

The Jets had better make sure that top stays on. Wallace led the NFL this season with 26 catches of 20 yards or more, including five for more than 50 yards. And of his 10 touchdowns, nine were for 29 yards or more.

KEYS TO THE MATCHUP

• Wallace has been on a mission in his second season to let everyone know he’s a well-rounded receiver — both verbally and with his play. He hasn’t just run by defensive backs; he has also won a bunch of jump balls with better positioning than the defender and had six long receptions (22, 23, 24, 41, 43 and 52 yards) that were of the catch-and-run variety.

The Star-Ledger previews AFC Championship game The Star-Ledger previews AFC Championship game Star-Ledger reporters Jenny Vrentas and Conor Orr preview this Sunday's AFC Championship game between the Jets and Pittsburgh Steelers. Video by John Munson/The Star-Ledger Watch video

“He’s starting to run pretty much the whole route tree,” Jets CB Drew Coleman said. “More curls, more digs, more drives, more speedos. He’s getting involved more than just a deep threat.”

• The Jets discourage the deep ball (only five receptions of 40 or more yards allowed this season) by playing their safeties extra deep. It helps them keep more plays in front of them. Expect that to continue against Wallace.

• Pettine wants to jam Wallace, but that’s easier said than done. In addition to being fast, he’s quite slippery at the line as well. And when he gets a good release and is stride-for-stride with a defensive back, as the old saying goes, “If he’s even, he’s leavin’.”

HOW IT WILL PLAY OUT

Wallace had seven catches for 102 yards in the Week 15 meeting with the Jets. His longest reception was for 23 yards. Pettine knows Wallace “can change a game in a heartbeat,” so they’ll pay close attention to him. And perhaps this time, he’ll see more of Darelle Revis than he did in December. “I don’t know why he didn’t cover me,” Wallace said yesterday. “I think (Antonio) Cromartie is a really good player, so I had to worry about him the whole game. ... I don’t care who is on me. Whoever takes me (Sunday), it’s going to be a long day for (him).” Wallace could be primed for a big, clutch play. In fact, pay close attention to him on the first play of the fourth quarter, which is when Ben Roethlisberger often looks for him down the field — and connects.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
mcg24
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17631
Default Re: Jets must think fast against speedy Steelers WR Mike Wallace

I'm sorry it doesn't matter how good Mike Wallace is. Revis is the best corner in the history of the NFL, and he can cover every single one of our receivers at the same time. If Ben so much as throws one pass anywhere on the field, it will be intercepted and run back for a touchdown. Hopefully we just run every play because every time we pass the Jets will score 6.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
KingsOfTheGridiron
Water Boy

Member Number: 17797

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg24 View Post
I'm sorry it doesn't matter how good Mike Wallace is. Revis is the best corner in the history of the NFL, and he can cover every single one of our receivers at the same time. If Ben so much as throws one pass anywhere on the field, it will be intercepted and run back for a touchdown. Hopefully we just run every play because every time we pass the Jets will score 6.
Wallace might have a catch for 4 yards.
KingsOfTheGridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
mcg24
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17631

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsOfTheGridiron View Post
Wallace might have a catch for 4 yards.
That's very unlikely. I've been told that most people don't know how incredibly strong Darrelle Revis actually is. This means Revis will be all over Mike Wallace inside the 5 yard mark, Wallace may never actually even make it 5 yards away from the line of scrimmage. This makes it very unlikely that Wallace will even be able to turn around to catch a pass. Even if there was a pass coming his way for about a 4 yard gain, Revis would step in front of it and run it back to the house.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
SeinfeldNut
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17822

Quote:
Yeah, you saw last week what happens when a team does play with fire & try to throw at Revis, Brady almost had a second interception after Revis ripped the ball out of one of the receivers hands. I hope we just avoid throwing to his side altogether, use our running, game & other WRS to move down the field.

Class, Integrity, Character
SeinfeldNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
... Revis is the best corner in the history of ever.... If Ben so much as throws one pass anywhere on the field, it will be intercepted and run back for a touchdown...
not-only that, Revis will throw 3 key blocks on his-own runback, freeing himself to go untouched for a 147 yard TD return:
he will also snap, hold, and kick the point-after
Old 01-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
SteelerEmpire
Living Legend

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,434 Times in 1,083 Posts

The difference is that the Jets CB's are "faster" than the Colts AND the Pats WR's and TE's. Therefore they are covered very, very easily. This game will be different as the Jets CB's will not be able to hang with Wallace, Sanders and Brown without some form of 'holding'. Hopefully these refs will call it when it happens...

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
SoCalFan
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14860
My Mood: Buzzed

Quote:
You guys are nuts!!!Revis is good but not GOD.He has shown if he plays tight and maybe misses a jam,he can be beat downfield like Ginn and Moss showed.Our passing game will be fine.To say we better run every play and not pass because every ball will be picked and returned for 6 is just idiotic!!!Are you really Steeler fans?Yea,If Revis shuts down Wallace all day,look out for Heath/Brown/Sanders/Ward...Get Real!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
Pac
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17773

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
You guys are nuts!!!Revis is good but not GOD.He has shown if he plays tight and maybe misses a jam,he can be beat downfield like Ginn and Moss showed.Our passing game will be fine.To say we better run every play and not pass because every ball will be picked and returned for 6 is just idiotic!!!Are you really Steeler fans?Yea,If Revis shuts down Wallace all day,look out for Heath/Brown/Sanders/Ward...Get Real!
why do even I know he's being sarcastic but you don't?

but much of what he says is true... if Revis covers Wallace look for a 3 catch 30 yard day.
Pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
SoCalFan
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14860
My Mood: Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac View Post
why do even I know he's being sarcastic but you don't?

but much of what he says is true... if Revis covers Wallace look for a 3 catch 30 yard day.
Yea,two of those catches will be for touchdowns from the 10,and the other will be picking up a critical 3rd down!!!