Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
NYC_Steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16763
Default Ben Roethlisberger is NFL's most clutch QB

By James Walker

There always is a hot debate about who's the NFL's best quarterback. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning come to mind first, then it becomes a heated argument of who's next.

Two-time Super Bowl-winning QB Ben Roethlisberger has a 9-2 career playoff record.But with Super Bowl XLV just around the corner, who's currently the NFL's most clutch quarterback? It's hard to argue against Ben Roethlisberger of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

There is no better quarterback on the big stage than Roethlisberger, who has a 9-2 career playoff record and is competing in his fourth AFC Championship Game in seven seasons Sunday. Manning has a sub-.500 record (9-10) in the playoffs, so he's out. Tom Brady has a good playoff record (14-5), but he has lost three postseason games in a row.

Meanwhile, Roethlisberger has won his past four playoff games, including last week's divisional-round victory over the Baltimore Ravens. He has a chance to play in his third Super Bowl since the 2005 season, which would equal the number of Super Bowl appearances by Manning (two) and Brady (one) combined over that same span.

Here is more food for thought: If Pittsburgh advances, Roethlisberger, Manning and Brady would be the only quarterbacks to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl since 2003. That's dominance from all three players. But Roethlisberger's playoff winning percentage (.818) is better than Brady's (.737) and Manning's (.473).

Roethlisberger, who owns two Super Bowl rings, doesn't get nearly the same credit because he's not a conventional quarterback. But after the New York Jets battered and confused Brady and Manning in back-to-back weeks, Roethlisberger can make another huge statement by doing what the other two quarterbacks couldn't -- beat the Jets -- to advance to his third Super Bowl.

Who's more clutch?
Ben Roethlisberger has a better playoff winning percentage than Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

Player Team Games Record Percentage
Ben Roethlisberger Steelers 11 9-2 .818
Tom Brady Patriots 19 14-5 .737
Peyton Manning Colts 19 9-10 .473

Link: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...most-clutch-qb
NYC_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983
Default Re: Ben Roethlisberger is NFL's most clutch QB

Yet we still have idiots claiming Rodgers, Rivers, and Romo are better.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I have been on this forum saying this for 2 years! The guy is a winner. NO\ot sure if everyone has ever heard this but: Winners Win! Thats what they do. F#@% pretty, its about the team and the victory! Ben's the man!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
Morgan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12966

I'll take our cruddy qb any day! :) I'd rather have guys like Terry and Ben and SB rings than guys like Marino and none. Who CARES?
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
Jetsfan115
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17757

You can make the case for him. I can't say i disagree but i still think it goes to brady for right now. but ben is like 5 years younger then brady still. Also last time ben had the chance to come through in the end against us he fell just short

[YOUTUBE]WJ7OaN8qWZM[/YOUTUBE]
Old 01-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
NYC_Steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

[QUOTE=Jetsfan115;901671]You can make the case for him. I can't say i disagree but i still think it goes to brady for right now. but ben is like 5 years younger then brady still. Also last time ben had the chance to come through in the end against us he fell just short[QUOTE]

Again, the throws went to a lousy TE: Matt "call me Clifford Franklin" Spaeth who needs stickum to catch a ball. There's a world of difference between him and Heath Miller - who will be playing in this game. Heath was huge in the Ravens game - as everyone saw.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
Jetsfan115
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17757

[QUOTE=NYC_Steeler;901682][QUOTE=Jetsfan115;901671]You can make the case for him. I can't say i disagree but i still think it goes to brady for right now. but ben is like 5 years younger then brady still. Also last time ben had the chance to come through in the end against us he fell just short
Quote:

Again, the throws went to a lousy TE: Matt "call me Clifford Franklin" Spaeth who needs stickum to catch a ball. There's a world of difference between him and Heath Miller - who will be playing in this game. Heath was huge in the Ravens game - as everyone saw.
But the last pass wasn't dropped it was batted away so whats your point? You could have made the point that miller would have gotten open at best but the hands are irrelevant
Old 01-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,136 Times in 919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelboy84 View Post
Yet we still have idiots claiming Rodgers, Rivers, and Romo are better.
Because they're comparing stats to slugging percentage.

Terry Bradshaw has always been in the same boat.
Stat-wise, he's incredibly average but who would YOU want with the ball when it's all or nothing?

For example, Rob Parker was going on about interceptions the other day and he was saying that a QB who throws as many picks as he does TD's is just "average" and I thought about Bradshaw: 223 TD's and 218 picks...

and four SB rings.

These guys are only looking at stats and they're not looking at the whole package, specifically how does a QB perform in clutch situations? If there was a stat page for THAT, Ben would be on the top of the list.

BTW, Ben has 144 TD's and 89 picks, and 2 rings, so by those standards, that would make him way above average, but his overall stats won't show that and so the Rob Parker's of the world will never see it.

This is the primary reason why I've never been a really big "stats" guy.

It's all bullshit and stats can be made to say anything someone wants them to say, but nobody can argue with "W's" and Hardware.

And to me, that's all that matters.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
bigchuck
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16933

stats dont win games, ben roethlisberger wins games
bigchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
NYC_Steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan115 View Post
But the last pass wasn't dropped it was batted away so whats your point? You could have made the point that miller would have gotten open at best but the hands are irrelevant
Dude - now you're totally distorting history. The last pass WAS NOT batted away - it bounced off Matt's chest - no Jet player touched it. I have the game on DVD and the replays all show no Jet batting it away - it went straight into Matt's chest and bounced away. (The best replay is shown driectly from behind Big Ben - perfect view in slow motion).

While we're at it, that last play would've never happened if again, Matt "Clifford Franklin" Spaeth had caught the ball when he was wide open in the end zone - the defender was behind him and in no position to affect the catch. Good ole' reliable Matt - the ball went straight through his arms. The guy can't catch a cold. So you see - if that had been Heath Miller, the Jets would be on the links teeing off right now.

You can thank the Ravens for that win - they knocked out Heath and prevented him from playing.