Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Cowboys fans aren't pulling for Steelers

Cowboys fans aren't pulling for Steelers
Pittsburgh adding to its Super Bowl trophy case would be tough to stomach for locals
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl...tim&id=6044230
By Tim MacMahon

You don't need to be smart enough to spell "cat" after having been spotted the first two letters to figure out the answer to the following question:

Which of the conference finalists would Cowboys fans least like to see play a Super Bowl in their $1.2 billion football palace?

"Duh, Steelers !" one Twitter follower responded to an informal poll, pretty much summing up the consensus opinion.

Anti-Steelers bias runs strong in these parts. It's not just limited to the old-timers who lived through the Steelers' pair of Super Bowl wins over the Cowboys in the 1970s and have vivid memories of Lynn Swann's acrobatic act, Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson's trash talk directed at Terry Bradshaw and Jackie Smith's drop in the end zone.

The logic is simple. Just look at the Lombardi Trophies.

For a little while, the Cowboys' five Super Bowl titles gave them ultimate bragging rights. The fact that the tiebreaking fifth championship came against the Steelers in Super Bowl XXX made it even sweeter.

But Cowboys fans can't puff out their chests around folks from Pittsburgh anymore. Not after downtown Pittsburgh has hosted two Super Bowl parades in the last five years, bringing the Steelers' Super Bowl title total to six.

That's tough enough for Cowboys fans to stomach. To mention that the Steelers have as many championship as the Cowboys have playoff wins since their last Super Bowl meeting would just be rubbing it in.

The thought of the Steelers strutting around JerryWorld after winning their seventh Super Bowl? Ooooh.

That might be more painful than Tony Romo's broken collarbone. That, by the way, was the moment when even the most optimistic of fans had to accept that Jerry Jones' dream of having the first home team in a Super Bowl simply wasn't going to happen.

If the Steelers beat the Jets on Sunday, Cowboys fans will be forced to endure a couple of weeks of hearing about Pittsburgh truly being deserving of the America's Team nickname.

How can Cowboys fans make a convincing case? The blue-collar Steelers are a model of stability, having had three head coaches in the last four decades, each of whom won at least one Super Bowl. Jones' glitz-and-glamour Cowboys have employed six head coaches since their last Super Bowl.

Never mind that Packers backers, who refer to Green Bay as "Titletown," can point to their 12 NFL championships. Or that the Bears have nine NFL titles. As far as Cowboys fans are concerned, it's all about the Super Bowls.

And they can't stand the idea of seeing the Steelers claim their seventh Super Bowl title on their turf.

Tim MacMahon covers the Cowboys for ESPN Dallas. You can follow him on Twitter or leave a question for his weekly mailbag.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Deserei90
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17069
Default Re: Cowboys fans aren't pulling for Steelers

Well it is quite obvious
Old 01-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Morgan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12966

Well... I think that's true of many Cowboy fans. I know that when we were running at the last one, I endured a lot of garbage at the sports bars from Cowboy fans and their stated reason was simply that they didn't want someone to have more trophies. Now, of course, they're pulling for the Jets for 2 reasons... 1) They don't want someone to have as many SB appearances. 2) They don't want us TWO SB's ahead of them.

But that's certainly not ALL Cowboy fans, of course. I know a lot of Cowboy fans who really like the Steelers.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
SeinfeldNut
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17822

No surprise there, the very thought that they could be behind the Steelers in Super Bowls by 2 Lombardi Trophies has to make Jerry Jones & Cowboy fans cringe.

Class, Integrity, Character

Last edited by SeinfeldNut; 01-21-2011 at 04:13 PM.
SeinfeldNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

yeah, i gotta imagine most (not all) Cowboys fans would be crushed if we won the SB this year
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

It's all that bad Karma coming back to haunt them from the Switzer years.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

I know this has to hurt ... just the THOUGHT of us playing in their playground is making them want to puke. The reason we know this to be true is b/c we'd feel the same way if they had 6 trophies and was playing in our house for a 7th!
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

It's funny because even though they have the 2nd most championships, it doesn't seem to me like we have a rivalry with them or anything. But you can tell the Cowboy fans think they have a rivalry with us lol. It will be a LONG time before they win another Superbowl, if ever. Throughout the last decade even when they have a good team they can't cut it in the playoffs. It takes a lot to get to the playoffs, but it takes even more to get to the Superbowl. The glitz and glammer will continue to keep them a first round team at best probably until Jones is gone.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458

Me?

If you guys play Chicago, then it really doesn't matter. To be frank, I don't dislike the Steelers nearly as much as my fellow Cowboys fans. And I kind of like Chicago too. But if you guys play the Packers? I can NEVER root for the Packers. I'd rather see the Eagles and Skins win a Super Bowl than they do.