Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 01-21-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,885 Times in 3,482 Posts
Default Dan Rooney on 18 Game Schedule - "I would rather not have the money."

Strong words from Dan Rooney - sounds like he is not in Goodell's corner based on these tweets from New York Times NFL reporter Judy Battista

Steelers chairman Dan Rooney has arrived from Ireland. Weighs in on labor. Still doesn't like 18 games. "I would rather not have the money."

http://twitter.com/judybattista/stat...43216152215553

Rooney is not happy with negotiations at all. "The negotiators should get it together."

http://twitter.com/judybattista/stat...45412407234560

Dan Rooney also said he will not get involved in negotiations. "I work for HIllary. She manages things that are a lot tougher than this."

http://twitter.com/judybattista/stat...44767503634433

Wow - IMO Goodell burned his bridges to the Steelers ownership with the posturing on the Harrison fines
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,567 Times in 3,909 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Dan Rooney on 18 Game Schedule - "I would rather not have the money."

you might be right, but it's hard to say if the fines have a big part in Rooney's attitude toward Goodell. It might come down to the fact that the Rooney's have class and Goodell is a turd.

I'm glad to see that Rooney is on the side of his players. I'm no pyschic, so I can't say that 18 game seasons will ruin football, but I'll say it anyway: 18 game seasons will ruin football.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,885 Times in 3,482 Posts
Default Re: Dan Rooney on 18 Game Schedule - "I would rather not have the money."

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
you might be right, but it's hard to say if the fines have a big part in Rooney's attitude toward Goodell. It might come down to the fact that the Rooney's have class and Goodell is a turd..
Dan Rooney supported Goodell being hired as Commissioner
When Dan Rooney, the Steelers’ owner and co-chairman of the league’s selection committee, went to the hotel room to tell Goodell, 47, that he had been chosen, Goodell embraced the 74-year-old Rooney.

In a speech to the owners in support of Goodell’s candidacy, Rooney had said that he was looking for the best commissioner and he had no doubt it was Goodell. Goodell has agreed to a five-year contract, although he is expected to serve much longer. He will take over before the regular season begins on Sept. 7.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/09/sp...all/09nfl.html

Something has changed
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
SeinfeldNut
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17822

Quote:
you might be right, but it's hard to say if the fines have a big part in Rooney's attitude toward Goodell. It might come down to the fact that the Rooney's have class and Goodell is a turd.

I'm glad to see that Rooney is on the side of his players. I'm no pyschic, so I can't say that 18 game seasons will ruin football, but I'll say it anyway: 18 game seasons will ruin football.

Yeah, nice to see an owner that supports his players on these types of issues, unlike say Jerry Jones. 16 games wears these players down enough, I could not imagine two more games these guys would have to go through, could see more injuries and problems if this move is made.

Class, Integrity, Character
SeinfeldNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
caseyviator
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17468

i like the 18 games as long as they lose atleast 2 preseason games...they said all these same things wen it went to 16 games and they even ended up addin one preseason game awhile later so no big deal when u look back on the 16 game change....the nfl always has and will adapt to demand, and lets face it noone in the end really cares about these players they really dont..once they outlive their use they are simply traded then cut ...then they are just tossed aside and do you know why????

cause there are always every year younger,faster and stronger comin up
caseyviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

Quote:

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Rooney origionally agreed to the 18 game season. They were gonna make it 17, but he said he liked 18 better because it was a round even number
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyviator View Post
i like the 18 games as long as they lose atleast 2 preseason games...they said all these same things wen it went to 16 games and they even ended up addin one preseason game awhile later so no big deal when u look back on the 16 game change....the nfl always has and will adapt to demand, and lets face it noone in the end really cares about these players they really dont..once they outlive their use they are simply traded then cut ...then they are just tossed aside and do you know why????

cause there are always every year younger,faster and stronger comin up
I think there is a thing though of over saturation of a product and I feel that the NFL has a perfect balance of just enough games to keep us wanting more. Also, records are going to destroyed if they go to 18 games, not to mention the extra toll this will take on all the players, including Ben and Troy. I know I for one would be pretty pissed to see my favorite players dying out at the end of the season due to extra games. These guys barely make it as it is.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
TOOLofSTEEL
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17096

Only thing I can gather from an 18game season is your 2nd string is going to have to learn to rotate with the starters on any given week. Putting all your hopes on one guy who will likely burn out over the course of the season or get injured is going to be a very risky move even more so than it is now.

On the other side of the coin. The retirement age is going to drop, I've seen guys at factory jobs. Go from working 8hours each day. To 12hours days that had to retire because they couldn't keep up with it physically. So ether older guys will have to retire or be rotated. Which could be good in a... Ziggy Hood/Aaron Smith situtation.

But thats liable to spread talent few and far between.
TOOLofSTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLofSTEEL View Post
Only thing I can gather from an 18game season is your 2nd string is going to have to learn to rotate with the starters on any given week. Putting all your hopes on one guy who will likely burn out over the course of the season or get injured is going to be a very risky move even more so than it is now.

On the other side of the coin. The retirement age is going to drop, I've seen guys at factory jobs. Go from working 8hours each day. To 12hours days that had to retire because they couldn't keep up with it physically. So ether older guys will have to retire or be rotated. Which could be good in a... Ziggy Hood/Aaron Smith situtation.

But thats liable to spread talent few and far between.
Exactly, and then the quality of games goes to hell!!!
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote