Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default 2007 Choice Timmons

I have seen reports teasing us about missing Revis in 2007 after the Jets jumped ahead of us. Other than lose than meaningless OT Bengals game (last game) the season before, there was nothing we could have done.

So the question is looking at the 2007 draft, would you have chosen Timmons or someone else from the first round (you can't go to other rounds ...like Woodley)

1 1 Oakland Raiders Russell, JaMarcus
1 2 Detroit Lions Johnson, Calvin
1 3 Cleveland Browns Thomas, Joe
1 4 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Adams, Gaines
1 5 Arizona Cardinals Brown, Levi
1 6 Washington Redskins Landry, LaRon
1 7 Minnesota Vikings Peterson, Adrian
1 8 Atlanta Falcons Anderson, Jamaal
1 9 Miami Dolphins Ginn, Jr., Ted
1 10 Houston Texans Okoye, Amobi
1 11 San Francisco 49ers Willis, Patrick
1 12 Buffalo Bills Lynch, Marshawn
1 13 St. Louis Rams Carriker, Adam
1 14 New York Jets Revis, Darrelle
1 15 Pittsburgh Steelers Timmons, Lawrence
1 16 Green Bay Packers Harrell, Justin
1 17 Denver Broncos Moss, Jarvis
1 18 Cincinnati Bengals Hall, Leon
1 19 Tennessee Titans Griffin, Michael
1 20 New York Giants Ross, Aaron
1 21 Jacksonville Jaguars Nelson, Reggie
1 22 Cleveland Browns Quinn, Brady
1 23 Kansas City Chiefs Bowe, Dwayne
1 24 New England Patriots Meriweather, Brandon
1 25 Carolina Panthers Beason, Jon
1 26 Dallas Cowboys Spencer, Anthony
1 27 New Orleans Saints Meachem, Robert
1 28 San Francisco 49ers Staley, Joe
1 29 Baltimore Ravens Grubbs, Ben
1 30 San Diego Chargers Davis, Craig "Buster"
1 31 Chicago Bears Olsen, Greg
1 32 Indianapolis Colts Gonzalez, Anthony
Old 01-22-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Re: 2007 Choice Timmons

I like our pick. Leon Hall and John Beason would be the only 2 considerations I think...and for me the only challenging one would be Hall.

Bowe has become good but we don't need another WR.

If we had not gotten Timmons, the fans panic would be driving me crazy by now continuously talking about the age of the ILBs so maybe it was good...but honestly I think Foote would have been fine for now (not the future though).

With all out line troubles, I guess Gurbbs deserves some consideration. Would we be a better team with Grubbs and Foote playing? IDK. Fot the future, Timmons was the right choice. It is really between Timmons and Hall.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #3
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609

I can't say. But I still to this very night have nightmares from the 2009 draft. Yes, Wallace was " Money " for us as our 2nd of three 3rd round picks. But, in that draft, I, and probably others were wanting another DB. Now we selected K.Lewis with our last 3rd rounder. But me, well I was IN LOVE with D J Moore of Vanderbilt. He was a tough, good ball-hawking and tackling DB. He fell because of some previous off the field issues. But was clean for over a year. Now we have Lewis who really has done squat yet. And the Bears took Moore in round 4, and he has become a big part of their Nickle and Dime defenses. He has like 60 tackles this season and 4 picks.

I love Wallace. But getting Moore that draft would have been great. He would have been the perfect replacement for Towsend.
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:25 AM   #4
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048

Brady Quinn.

Ok but seriously the only pick after ours that looks even slightly appealing is Leon Hall. I'm happy with 94.
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:38 AM   #5
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

I wouldnt trade Timmons for anyone on that entire list except Revis or Joe Thomas. he is a much better player then anyone picked after him and even though i didnt feel it at the time i am glad we drafted him
Old 01-22-2011, 04:30 AM   #6
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

As great as Revis is, I wouldn't care for his greed / selfish attitude on this team, we simply couldn't afford him.
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:44 AM   #7
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

with the exception of him holding out i dont consider him selfish. he is the best cb in the nfl and may end up being the best ever. he's not ****y like deion sanders was. the only strike i have against him is the holdout. he signed a contract and should play it out. of course he deserved more but thats not the way it works. the team cant dock money from his pay because he was hurt at the begning of the year and didnt play his best. woodley was in a similar situation making even less then revis and he didnt holdout.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Love our pick.. Keep in mind the hold out by Revis and trying to get a new contract. That attitude would not have played here in the Steel City.

He isn't Steeler material. Huge talent, but timmons currently is the most underrated lb in the nfl. Look for a statement Sunday
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
I wouldnt trade Timmons for anyone on that entire list except Revis or Joe Thomas. he is a much better player then anyone picked after him and even though i didnt feel it at the time i am glad we drafted him
I agree however, I wouldn't trade him for Revis either. We are a LB driven defense. As much as I like Joe Thomas, I never want to see the Steelers in position to be able to draft a stud OT from college. That would mean we lost 12 or 13 games.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,677 Times in 2,624 Posts

Steelers were reported to be planning to draft Revis with the 15th pick on draft day

Steelers hold the 15th pick, Pitt's Darrelle Revis seems to be their man

Mike Tomlin praised Revis no end when asked about him. When Tomlin was asked about another player, Colbert stepped in and said there would be no more player evaluations.

Was it a mistake on new coach Tomlin's part to open up about Revis or was it planned?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07118/781798-66.stm

Rookie HC Tomlin probably should have kept his mouth shut

This was the P-G report the next day

Steelers make history by taking outside linebackers with first two picks

As they prepare to celebrate their 75th season, the Steelers selected linebacker Lawrence Timmons, a junior from Florida State. He became only the third linebacker drafted by the Steelers in the first round in franchise history.

Not content with that, the Steelers drafted Michigan's LaMarr Woodley with the 14th pick of the second round....

Timmons will compete with Harrison, who had moved into Porter's vacated spot at right outside linebacker this spring.

Two defensive ends the Steelers might have wanted to take with their first-round pick were gone before they had a chance.

Jamaal Anderson of Arkansas was selected by the Atlanta Falcons with the eighth pick and Adam Carriker of Nebraska went 13th to the St. Louis Rams.

The Steelers were foiled somewhat when the New York Jets made a trade with Carolina to slip into the No. 14 slot and draft Pitt cornerback Darrelle Revis. The Jaguars wanted Revis and were ready to offer the Steelers a high draft choice to switch with them at No. 17, where Timmons most likely still would be available. The Jets' move killed that.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07119/781991-66.stm

I had forgotten Timmons originally was to compete with Harrison - Silverback took care of that competition fairly quickly

And the draft is still a guessing game - with respect to the defensive ends the Steelers might have drafted, Jamaal Anderson (whom Ed. B. of the P-G was pushing the Steelers to draft) has been a bust for the Falcons and the Rams traded Cariker to the Redskins for a low draft pick swap

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 01-22-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote