Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts
Default About Arians

Can someone please help me to understand why so many seem to hate B.A.?

I read a lot of comments about him and if someone were to see these comments without knowing anything at all about the team, they'd think that we were some bottom-feeder that was lucky to be a part of the NFL at all.

The way I see it is that under Arians, (from 2007 to now) the team has a 43-21 record, has been to the playoffs 3 out of the four years he's been here and has won a Super Bowl and is currently poised to possibly win another.

Am I missing something here?

Consider too that this team right now only has one time-tested WR (Hines), one veteran receiver who is basically a utility guy (Ranfel El) and one solid tight end in Miller. The rest of the receiving corps are all rookies. Yes, I know Wallace is technically not a rookie, but for all intents and purposes -- he is.

We have an offensive line that's being held together with band-aids and duct tape and we haven't had a truly dependable running back since Bettis retired.

Yet here we are in 2010 with a 12-4 record, a first round bye a stunning offensive performance in the divisional playoff game and are 24 hrs. away from playing in our 15th AFC Championship game.

I've been a fan of this team for 39 years and I've seen some really crummy teams (pick a year in the 80's) and some truly bad seasons but I'd say that from 2007 to right this minute, with the possibility of winning a second Super Bowl since Arians became the OC, I can't find a whole lot to be be bitching about.

So can someone please tell me just what there is to be pissed-off at and why Arians needs to be fired?
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
Default Re: About Arians

Honestly, I don't really have too much of a problem with Arians, because first of all, there is no one out there to replace that would be any better. The only really problem I have with him is situational playcalling and redzone playcalling, although the latter has gotten markedly better as the season has worn on. I'm not sure we can blame him for our running and blocking woes until the team makes a conscious effort to put a better oline on the field. I like their start with Pouncey though, that was a homerun pick there.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
wnyBob
Water Boy

Member Number: 17493

The stats are skewed because we have a good QB that is also a great ad-libber. For as many games that our D has saved the game to almost literally winning the game to at the least keeping us in the game, waiting for something to happen on the O side, how many times has that been reversed? not many. As mentioned by others Arians calls bad plays in critical situations many times. As just another isolated example he sat on the ball with a precarious 3 point lead with 6 mins to go against Baltimore and it could have come back to bite him. I always say he calls a good game plan or as good as anyone can, BUT, when the opposing D gets his number and does a change up on him, he loses the chess match because he can’t adapt mid game, and continues to try to cram the same plays down their throat rather than being innovative, THEN we get into the nail bitters. In short, Ben and the D many, many many times has baled out the team and Arians in spite of Arians and not because of him. If we still had the awesome D but a middle of the road QB that gets rattled or can’t keep plays alive and ad-lib we could very well be one of those bottom feeders. THANKFULLY we’re where we’re at, on a roll and now isn’t the time to wish bad tidings on Arians or the O. Hopefully he had an epiphany and has the answers for the Jet’s D. And there will be a Jet’s D show up, with more than one defensive scheme so we need more than one offense scenario to match up. Unfortunately it is Arians job to plan a game and Ben’s job to execute. Ben shouldn’t be responsible for “planning” and executing.
wnyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

The Defense plays a HUGE part of why the record is so good while Arians has been here.

My problem with Arians is that our O-Line has been an issue for quite some time and he has done very little to address it. This year picking up Pouncey was the first time in years I have said they made an full blown attempt to fix their weakest area.

You fix that O-line the running game opens up. When we are running the ball well we pass even better. The play action that Ben does usually kills teams.

Yes Ben holds on to the ball but this year like many times the last few its because there are a ton of 3rd and longs he had to try to convert. Why is that, because Arians calls RUN RUN PASS like its clockwork.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
Hayeksheroes
Banned

Member Number: 15387

In the last interview, Arians shifted some of the blame of the offensive prowess on Ben. He said that Ben calls many of the plays and he and Ben decide which plays Ben likes. Arians even defended the shotgun draw in Jets game that became a safety and in essence lost the game. Arians said it was a good 8 to 10 yard gainer if it works. What Arians did not say was that if the play does not work, you lose yards. You can't lose yards when you are at your 1 yard line. that is why it was a dumb play call. Arians would have been better off to call a Hail Mary pass because the risk is the same but the reward is so much more.
Hayeksheroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

If you listen to guys on this board you will be misled IMO. His QB, the most important player loves BA and thinks he is a great OC. Who are you going to listen to , disgruntled fans who expect to win every game in a dominating fashion, or The star QB. Every OC in the league make some incorrect calls throughout the game. You can't win every battle yet some fans don't agree. We had a bad run of redzone scoring this year but the last few games have been excellent. He won't get credit for that though, that is Ben bailing him out. I don't reply to the haters anymore because you are wasting your breath. I do remember a post by someone who was upset about a bubble screen called when the corner was playing up. My question is how did BA know the corner was going to be up when he called the play. Ben has the last word and can audible any time. You will not get rational answers. The bar is raised high for the Steelers and I am very happy about that. One of the side effects of that bar being so high is BA being questioned when our offense isn't exactly balanced or we run a formation without a RB. It is a good problem to have though.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayeksheroes View Post
In the last interview, Arians shifted some of the blame of the offensive prowess on Ben. He said that Ben calls many of the plays and he and Ben decide which plays Ben likes. Arians even defended the shotgun draw in Jets game that became a safety and in essence lost the game. Arians said it was a good 8 to 10 yard gainer if it works. What Arians did not say was that if the play does not work, you lose yards. You can't lose yards when you are at your 1 yard line. that is why it was a dumb play call. Arians would have been better off to call a Hail Mary pass because the risk is the same but the reward is so much more.

Who's to blame for Scott completely missing his block on the 1 yard line? When Ben fumbled in the last game people blasted Arians for calling a pass in almost the exact same situation. I guarantee that almost all of the people calling for Arians' head will be doing the exact same thing with the next OC.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

I have no problem with bruce,WHEN Ben is allowed to change plays when he sees fit,in particular when running the no huddle...
Old 01-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
Who's to blame for Scott completely missing his block on the 1 yard line? When Ben fumbled in the last game people blasted Arians for calling a pass in almost the exact same situation. I guarantee that almost all of the people calling for Arians' head will be doing the exact same thing with the next OC.

To be fair, not many tackles in the league are going to make that block when the DE shades inside and the Guard pulls.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Perhaps this thread should be moved into the Fire Arians thread which has a sticky for this reason.

For myself I'm done debating Airhead's stupidity with the devotes of his passing cult all of which I have on ignore. Last year's Cleveland disaster is enough proof to satisfy any reasonably intelligent person, or even a drooling moron, that Airhead is a fool.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote