Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
wutchy
Banned

Member Number: 17595
Default Bad weather = two TE's. Advantage Steelers

In the wind and cold, the Jets may feel confident with their good running game.
But given the fact that the Steelers are so stout against the run, I don't think the Jets will have much of an advantage.

The real advantage in those conditions would benefit the team with the best short passing game. Tomlinson is good out of the backfield, but he isn't the LT of old.

If bad weather forces a short passing game, i think the Steelers will benefit most because the Steelers have a better set of tight ends. Spaeth and Miller are better blockers, and can help buy Ben time because he holds the ball too long. If Ben rolls or waggles, the TE's can roll with him. It gives Ben more options.

Two TE sets will help the Steeler running game. The Steelers can naturally transition to two TE's because they have it and use it regularly. The Jets never use two TE sets. They'd struggle with the out-of-the-ordinary.

If bad weather forces both teams to use two TE's. I think the Steelers can make short work of the Jets. Their only hope would be to heavily involve Keller, who really isn't that good, and use LT out of the backfield. Troy can spy LT all day and take care of that business.

Heres to bad weather
wutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527
Default Re: Bad weather = two TE's. Advantage Steelers

Finally! A post that doesn't make me want to throw in the towel before we play the game!
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
nycdan
Water Boy

Member Number: 17794

Agreed the sets are different, but the Jets employ a FB rather than the second TE in their power formation, and Tomlinson is actually still very effective catching the ball.

Keller and Tomlinson combined for over 100 catches and 1,000 yds this season, which is more than Miller, Spaeth, Mendenhall and Moore combined. Greene only has 16 catches and T-Rich 5, but those could be factored in as well.

Again, I think it's just a different philosophy but lack of a 2 TE set isn't the issue. It's more about whether the cold affects Sanchez' ability to hit his receivers in stride, which is always an adventure early in games, even in domes.
nycdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
SeinfeldNut
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17822

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutchy View Post
In the wind and cold, the Jets may feel confident with their good running game.
But given the fact that the Steelers are so stout against the run, I don't think the Jets will have much of an advantage.

The real advantage in those conditions would benefit the team with the best short passing game. Tomlinson is good out of the backfield, but he isn't the LT of old.

If bad weather forces a short passing game, i think the Steelers will benefit most because the Steelers have a better set of tight ends. Spaeth and Miller are better blockers, and can help buy Ben time because he holds the ball too long. If Ben rolls or waggles, the TE's can roll with him. It gives Ben more options.

Two TE sets will help the Steeler running game. The Steelers can naturally transition to two TE's because they have it and use it regularly. The Jets never use two TE sets. They'd struggle with the out-of-the-ordinary.

If bad weather forces both teams to use two TE's. I think the Steelers can make short work of the Jets. Their only hope would be to heavily involve Keller, who really isn't that good, and use LT out of the backfield. Troy can spy LT all day and take care of that business.

Heres to bad weather
Agree, Sanchez can also move away from Keller completely and try and fir balls into WRS like Holmes, Cotchery or Edwards. Also Keller is not known for being a great blocking TE.

Class, Integrity, Character
SeinfeldNut is offline   Reply With Quote