Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers' Smith a long shot to play in AFC Championship Game

Steelers' Smith a long shot to play in AFC Championship Game
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_719456.html
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, January 23, 2011

It looks like Aaron Smith will have to wait until the Super Bowl, assuming the Steelers get there, to return to the playing field.

The defensive end practiced on a limited basis this week and is listed as doubtful for today's AFC Championship Game.

Smith has been sidelined since partially tearing his triceps in late October. The Steelers were hopeful he would dress against the New York Jets. Instead, it looks like Smith will miss his 12th consecutive game.

"He didn't progress that much this week," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said.

Smith is so valuable to the Steelers that they kept the 6-5, 298-pounder on their 53-man roster after he got hurt because there was a chance he could return this season.

His comeback bid is running out of time, although if the Steelers beat the Jets, they would get a week off before playing in Super Bowl XLV.

Smith hasn't ruled out playing, even though it looks like a long shot.

"I'm always optimistic," Smith said. "It's getting to the point where (the arm) is mature enough it can withstand playing football."

Cromartie calls out Ward

Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie is riled up about Hines Ward.

During an interview Friday on SportsNet New York, Cromartie said Ward is not "man enough to hit you when you're looking at him."

Cromartie said he doesn't consider Ward dirty, but "I know for a fact that he will hit you while you're not looking."

Win one for Myron?

Fans can point to a number of reasons the Steelers might win today.

More than a few are probably convinced there is no way they lose on Myron Cope's birthday.

Cope, the legendary sports broadcaster and Pittsburgh icon, would have been 81 today. He died Feb. 27, 2008.

The ubiquitous Terrible Towels that will be twirled at Heinz Field are a big part of Cope's legacy.

The tradition started before a 1975 playoff game at Three Rivers Stadium when Cope urged fans to wave yellow dish towels in support of the Steelers.

"The whole story behind the Terrible Towel and what it's grown into, it's amazing," Steelers inside linebacker James Farrior said. "He was a heck of a guy."

Facial hair popular with fans

The beard that defensive end Brett Keisel has been growing since June has become its own entity.

It has its own Facebook page "Brett Keisel's Beard" and has almost 12,000 followers.

"That's not me. I think there's a Twitter page, too," Keisel said with a laugh. "That's not me either. Someone's having some fun with it, which I don't really mind."

Keisel started growing the beard as a way of exorcising any lingering demons after the Steelers went 9-7 in 2009 and did not get a chance to defend their Super Bowl title.

"It's just something I tried to do to convince myself we were getting back to the playoffs," Keisel said.

(In honor of Keisel I won't shave tomorrow. - mesa)

Sacking Sanchez

One of the keys for the Steelers today will be putting more pressure on Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez.

They sacked him just once in a 22-17 loss Dec. 19, and Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison said Sanchez is hard to get on the ground.

Of Sanchez's ability to escape pressure, Harrison said, "I think it's up there with Ben (Roethlisberger). He's not as big, but he's definitely agile. He gets away. He's slippery."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:51 AM   #2
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Steelers' Smith a long shot to play in AFC Championship Game

This ended up being a mistake not to IR him. Plus we lost a young player in Gibson.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:57 AM   #3
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850
Default Re: Steelers' Smith a long shot to play in AFC Championship Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
This ended up being a mistake not to IR him. Plus we lost a young player in Gibson.
You don't win games unless you take chances. And he was compared to Vernon Gholston comming out of college, he couldn't have been that good.

Smith is respected and it was a well deserved risk to not IR him.

"To win a game, first you have to not lose the game" - John Madden
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
MikeHaullace
Starter

Member Number: 16733
Cool Re: Steelers' Smith a long shot to play in AFC Championship Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
Smith is respected and it was a well deserved risk to not IR him.
I think it goes deeper than that:

I think all parties involved

1.) Know this will be Smith's last year.

2.) Agreed that he 'couldn't go out like that'.

3.) Knew what they had in Ziggy.

Definitely respect. Especially since he may very well get to finish his career on top.
MikeHaullace is offline   Reply With Quote