Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #11
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Re: Do you pray for a big game like this or do you feel that's an insult to God

Catholic Bishop Thomas Tobin on being asked if he prayed for the Colts kicker during our playoff game there the year we won SB 40.

With a laugh "Of course I prayed for him, I also prayed for a bad kick and God took care it."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,983 Times in 896 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Do you pray for a big game like this or do you feel that's an insult to God

Quote:
Catholic Bishop Thomas Tobin on being asked if he prayed for the Colts kicker during our playoff game there the year we won SB 40.

With a laugh "Of course I prayed for him, I also prayed for a bad kick and God took care it."

nice
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post
nice
see http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/432...mp=vid_OEV_P_P

The quote is out about 3/4 and a bit more of the way through the video.

I misquoted a bit "Of course I prayed for his well being but I prayed for a bad kick to and obviously God took care of it."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #14
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
I'm pretty sure God doesn't care... When there is a game winning field goal attempt, both teams are down on their knees praying... Like they can out pray each other or something.

Just play football, God has other things to do.
Excellent post!

Just to carry through the lighter side of it though. What would He do?

Would He count the number of prayers coming from each fanbase?
Would He take the level of service at the church that each person did?
Would He calculate each sides tithes and offerings?

To the OP, awesome question to pose to bring in a little bit of humor. The God that I know, He likes to laugh and have fun too.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #15
HAWK
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12888

Sorry. I don't pray.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:23 AM   #16
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdandlong View Post
Thought I'd lighten up the discussion and ask people if they pray that the Lord intervenes In favor of the Steelers (not that I think we can't win this one on our own) or if they feel it's an insult to pray to God to divinely intervene in a football game when he didn't stop the holocaust or any other human catastrophe
I don't pray for sports that I watch but that doesn't mean I won't mumble to my self "Please God" in my head hoping that God has decided to have the Steelers win this time. It is more like I am hoping it is God's choice rather than hoping God intervenes.

If I were actually playing, I might pray. Even though people can say everyone has the same God on both sides, I feel like talking to God has helped me with other things in my life so why not?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #17
SouthTexasSteel
Water Boy

Member Number: 12193

As a youth minister, I 100% absolutely believe in God and especially in the power of prayer. But prayer can be a funny and tricky thing. Do I believe that God intervenes for an entire team... nope.. So I don't pray that way. I do believe that praying for the players to play to their fullest potential and to protect them from injuries goes a long way in helping them win. Just sayin'...

P.S. I missed Pouncey this week.... oops..
SouthTexasSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #18
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

I always find it odd that a person would pray to change the outcome of a football game when there are children suffering in the world. You can say that it's okay to pray for both, but com'on man ... you pray for those who need prayer. A football player earning millions of dollars certainly does not need prayer, unless you are praying for an injury-free game.
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #19
TOOLofSTEEL
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17096

Don't believe in a God. But I pray during games by yelling at the screen when people **** up.
TOOLofSTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #20
Quasar
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7371

Back in the 1970s, the Steelers had to face the Cowboys twice in the Super Bowl. Both quarterbacks were Christians: Terry Bradshaw, and Roger Staubach. When asked who he thought God would favor in the Super Bowl, Bradshaw replied, "I'm sure the Lord doesn't play favorites in athletic contests."
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote