Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers notes: Pouncey no stranger to ankle sprains[

Steelers notes: Pouncey no stranger to ankle sprains
TEXT SIZE Increase text size Decrease text size
By: Andrew Chiappazzi
Beaver County Times
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...e-sprains.html
Monday January 24, 2011 12:02 AM

PITTSBURGH — It’s likely none of the Steelers will participate in the Pro Bowl now that they’re Super Bowl bound, but even had the Steelers lost, it’s unlikely Maurkice Pouncey would have been able to play.

The rookie center suffered a high ankle sprain early in the first quarter when linebacker Bryan Thomas was blocked onto his leg. Pouncey was down for a few minutes and wasn’t able to put weight on his left ankle. He didn’t return, and was on crutches with a walking boot after the game.

“It’s just a high ankle sprain. They didn’t tell me what degree it is yet,” Pouncey said.

It’s not a new injury for Pouncey. During his sophomore year at Florida, Pouncey suffered a high ankle sprain on his opposite ankle, but didn’t miss any time.

“I hurt it on a Saturday at the game, and the next Saturday I was playing. I think I was practicing on Thursday and Friday.”

Pouncey will have two weeks to heal before the Super Bowl in Dallas. Doug Legursky filled in with Pouncey out.

Letting loose The Steelers and Jets held their tongues most of the week in regards trash talk, but the Steelers let loose as soon as the game was over.

Steelers players flooded the field with their arms out wide, mimicking the movements of airplanes, poking fun at the “jet” celebration started by New York wide receiver Santonio Holmes.

The Patriots had mocked the Jets in their 45-3 win in the regular season, and Bart Scott brought it back following the Jets’ win last week.

The Steelers also reserved a little something special for Scott, a former Baltimore Raven. Scott made national news with his tirade following the win last week, saying he “can’t wait” to play the Steelers. The Steelers walked off the field and into the locker room mocking Scott, saying they, “can’t wait to get on that jet” to Dallas and “can’t wait” for the Super Bowl.
Advertisement Click Here

Milestones Hines Ward caught two passes for 14 yards, giving him 16 consecutive playoff games with a reception. That moves Ward within one of John Stallworth’s club record of 17 straight playoff games with a catch. Tight end Heath Miller caught two passes for 38 yards, giving him 425 yards in the postseason, the most by a tight end in team history. Miller is the sixth player in team history to reach 400 receiving yards and just the 11th tight end in NFL history to hit that mark.

Attendance record Fans set a new Steelers’ attendance record at Heinz Field, as 66,662 packed into the stadium for the AFC Championship. That passed the Steelers’ old mark of 65,579, set Oct. 25, 2009, against the Minnesota Vikings. It is not a Heinz Field overall record, though. Pitt and West Virginia drew 66,731 fans on Nov. 30, 2002, and the 2011 NHL Winter Classic drew 68,111.

Injuries Outside of Maurkice Pouncey, the Steelers’ escaped severe injuries. Ben Roethlisberger and Emmanuel Sanders were both banged up, but didn’t miss any action. Roethlisberger had his foot stepped on during the Steelers’ opening drive and limped around for a while. Sanders was hit in the head by Jets’ safety Eric Smith on a play over the middle. Sanders missed just a couple plays before returning. Smith was flagged for unnecessary roughness. Safety Ryan Clark was shaken up late in the third quarter, but he also returned.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,477 Times in 942 Posts
Default Re: Steelers notes: Pouncey no stranger to ankle sprains[

Please God, let him play in the Super Bowl. He deserves it 100%
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
El Nino
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17899

we will need this guy. o-line looks horrible without him
El Nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609

After that story, I wonder IF Pouncey does not play in the Super Bowl, will he be called out like Cutler was ? I mean why not ? It's the Super Bowl! How could a Sprain of ANY KIND keep a player from playing in the game of ALL games ? Now I support Cutler, and call out all the current, and former SCUMBAG NFL players who were all over twitter yesterday dogging out Cutler. So I will assume all steeler fans here who were also questioning Cutler's toughness, will also be calling out Pouncey in 2 weeks IF he does not play as well...right ?
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpalinhater View Post
After that story, I wonder IF Pouncey does not play in the Super Bowl, will he be called out like Cutler was ? I mean why not ? It's the Super Bowl! How could a Sprain of ANY KIND keep a player from playing in the game of ALL games ? Now I support Cutler, and call out all the current, and former SCUMBAG NFL players who were all over twitter yesterday dogging out Cutler. So I will assume all steeler fans here who were also questioning Cutler's toughness, will also be calling out Pouncey in 2 weeks IF he does not play as well...right ?
As you call out the "scumbag" NFL players please feel free to share with us the number of times you have mde All-Pro and have the credibillity to call them or anyone else out on this issue.

Cutler's reputation as a diva was kicking around in Denver and Chicago long before yesterday's game - Pouncey aparently has quickly developed a great rep in the Steelers locker room

Unlike Pouncey, Cutler was not assisted off the field while being unable to put any weight on his injured leg. Unlike Pouncey, who came back on the sidelines on crutches and was seen cheering on his teammates, Cutler rode the bike and sat on the bench while making no effort to assist the back-up QBs who were trying to save the Bears season in a game in which Cutler was horrible from the start.

While you may support Cutler, life long Bears fan Michael Wilbon disagrees

A lineman who played more than a dozen years and won multiple Super Bowls told me after the game that he was stunned Cutler was standing on the sideline, not on crutches, receiving no treatment while his team played on. And, the player said, what made it worse was that Cutler didn't appear to be counseling his backup, Todd Collins, or Hanie. And this all came on the heels of Mike Martz telling ESPNChicago.com's Jon Greenberg that criticism of Cutler's fundamentals, specifically his footwork, is "fair... You can't go through a lifetime with those kinds of habits and fix them in one season." Martz revealed that Cutler is still doing footwork drills twice a week, every week, and said the quarterback is working "diligently" and that "he'll get there."

But we don't hear those Peyton Manning-like stories about Cutler, how he comes early to practice and stays late and works systematically and demonically at getting better. What we hear, even from teammates in both Denver and Chicago, is that Cutler is an arrogant, pouting player who rates himself quite highly. It's a characterization that is believed totally throughout the league, through almost any pro football circle you wander into. And because it's believed wholly that Cutler is a guy with a big arm, an overrated sense of himself and little if any heart, precious few people in Cutler's own fraternity had any sympathy for him during the game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nf...ael&id=6052280
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Pouncey doesn't play like a rookie. Hope like hell we get him back. UGH!

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
SteelHaven

Member Number:

Quote:
With Cutler the criticism will not be, not coming back in the game but it will be the body language on the side line. ala..Cutler sitting next to Haine on the bench staring off into space.. He really didn't seem involved and I didn't see him get involved with Haine and he IS the leader.. but what do I know....
Old 01-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelHaven View Post
With Cutler the criticism will not be, not coming back in the game but it will be the body language on the side line. ala..Cutler sitting next to Haine on the bench staring off into space.. He really didn't seem involved and I didn't see him get involved with Haine and he IS the leader.. but what do I know....

Look, I might agree to the Lay man, which we all are, Cutler looked somber, and disconnected from his team. But that is a different issue. The bottom line is Cutler clearly wanted to re-enter the game, and his COACH did not let him. So why anyone would call out Cutler is ridiculous. Plus when I compared Pouncey to Cutler it was more me being sarcastic. At that moment, Pouncey's Injury WAS more painful. I just said it was not as serious. And it wasn't either. As for other NFL players who have had simular injuries to their knees, or other body parts like P.Rivers knee in 2008, I will remind you that Rivers got an injection of Cortisone in his knee....THAT is a whole lot different then trying to re-enter when you cannot take cortisone like Cutler can't.

So remember fans, try to think before you write.
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Pouncey gurentees he will play but he couldnt even put weight on his leg during the game. Cutler walked around without the slightest limp. i didnt make a single negative comment towards cutler because i feel he is a good qb playing behind a horrible line, just saying
Old 01-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
mcg24
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17631

Quote:
This is a really ignorant post. Really? It was Cutler's body language and mentality on the sidelines that really made it such of a joke that he was sitting out. He wasn't supporting his teammates or getting into things at all. Cutler is one of the least liked players in the league by fans and players alike, and has a history of being full of himself, and being a total Dbag.

Pouncey is the exact opposite. If Pouncey sat out of the Super Bowl with a broken finger nail I wouldn't even question it because the man has worked harder than I ever have in my life. You don't question those players. Ever.