Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
Jetsfan115
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17757
Default Re: BS measurement call by Ryan

It was a smart move and fully within the rules to do so
Old 01-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
OK, so what about the fake injuries or pointless challenges designed to slow down another team? It's called gamesmanship and it's just as much a part of the sport as the X's and O's.
To me, there's a big difference between an injury, even if it's greatly exaggerated and a measurement.
What gets me is, it's always the same teams who resort to this sh*t and their HCs are the biggest whinners. Teams respecting the spirit of the game don't need this crap.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
CargoJon
Starter

Member Number: 4796

We won. Let the Jets fans spend the offseason complaining. I'm looking forward to Feb 6th.
CargoJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
SteelHaven
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17811

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
To me, there's a big difference between an injury, even if it's greatly exaggerated and a measurement.
What gets me is, it's always the same teams who resort to this sh*t and their HCs are the biggest whinners. Teams respecting the spirit of the game don't need this crap.
I'm more annoyed with the Jets starting fights at the line the last 3 snaps. I mean its fine if you want to swat the ball but resorting to that... but hey they are a reflection of their coach.

Call Ryan what you want but what he did on that drive was a smart coaching decision and that proved to me that he is a good coach. I may not like his style and how his players represent him.. but when it comes to x's and o's and situational on the field coaching the guy is a good
SteelHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #15
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
I'm not saying it's not smart, I'm saying the way it is now, it's a free time out and this is what I have a problem with. A team could have as many time outs as they want using this trick.
It's not a free timeout. The clock starts running after the chains are back on the sidelines.
steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #16
GameTime55
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15914

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelax04 View Post
It's not a free timeout. The clock starts running after the chains are back on the sidelines.

However, literally speaking..Time is stopped so taht it actually prevents Pittsburgh from going into the next play. It looked an awful lot Ben was trying to get them up to the line quickly and catch the Jets off guard.

So in essence it prevented Ben from doing something clever in terms of calling a quick snap QB sneak or something that wjould have benefitted the Steelers on the premise of some kind of no huddle quick snap play.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #17
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
Yes but it's just a tactic to slow down the momentum.

The look on Ben's face said it all: "Oh crap, we were ready to jam it down their throats and they call for a measurement". He looked like a magician who just realized that the crowd figured out the trick.

Look at it another way: If it was the Jets that were gaining momentum and the same situation presented itself to Tomlin, don't you think he'd want to slow THEM down a bit and do the same thing?
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 AM   #18
MikeHaullace
Starter

Member Number: 16733
Cool How did you feel when...

Against the Jets, about 2 minutes into the 2nd, Steelers were trying to go hurry-up, almost set at the line to probably punch it through on 4th and 1 at about the Jets' 30.

I felt like the measurement timeout was called to slow the Steelers' momentum. No way was there reason to stop for measurement there. I saw it. The crowd saw it. Ben knew it.

It was weird because Hochuli signaled the 4th down, they were getting set, then Hochuli had some sort of panic about him and whistled for a measurement. He proceeded to get boo'ed by everyone in the stadium when the measurement showed the ball was about 3 feet short. His body language seemed to reflect the BS game stopage.

Rarely have I ever seen a measurement so far from being close.

What did you see and how did you feel? It seemed peculiar to me. What say you? Am I looking too much into it?
MikeHaullace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #19
steelerohio
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14925
Default Re: How did you feel when...

At that moment I just felt like "WOW!"
Old 01-27-2011, 12:40 AM   #20
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775
Default Re: How did you feel when...

I screamed at the TV. I've heard rumblings that Rex called for it. It was the dumbest measurement I have ever seen in my life.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote