Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609
Default Overlooking Mendenhall

Okay, I have already watched 2 different programs previewing the Super Bowl game. And all I have heard is how the Steelers will have trouble with the Packers spread, wide-open passing attack on that good Dallas stadium turf. That the steelers won't have their defense being helped out by the cruddy field that they have had the past two weeks. But why is no one mentioning that Mendenhall, who not only has had to face two of the top-4 rundefenses in the league in Baltimore and the Jets, but who also is a PURE One-step cutback runner who THRIVES on this type of surface ?

At Illinois, this was the ame turf he played on when he set many national rushing records that still hold to this day. And Green Bay, as much as their rush defense numbers have Improved in the playoffs, were only 18th in Run defense during the season. I feel with our huge guys up front, and Green Bay's rather smallish defensive front, we can easily run on these guys. And IF Green Bay commits alot up front to stop our rushing attack, then we have them in single coverage if we pass. And since Ward and Miller, as well as Brown if he is in there are all great on quick hitter types of passing plays, I really don't see how the Packers are gonna stop us from long, time consuming drives.

I think Mendenhall could have a HUGE Day in Super Bowl 45 fans
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Overlooking Mendenhall

First the Steelers were ranked 16th in the power rankings .Then all the boneheads said they wouldn't fair well in the north, coming into the playoffs the ratbirds were supposed to kick our a*# es at home. Finally the Jets were going to take care of buisness and now the Pack have the clear advantage( as i heard one commentator put it)? Please, let the hate,jelousy and doubting go in one ear and out the other! The Steelers could win back to back SB rings and Ben could throw for 450 and run two in and the Steelers will still be considered sub-par and Ben somewhere in between Phillip Rivers and Carson Palmer
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
chitownpit
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16129

I think Mendy could have a great day against any defence on any field.
He just posscess a blend of speed , power , and quick feet in the hole .
He has also mastered a terrific spin move the country has`nt seen yet
but steeler fans seen all year leaving tacklers grasping air. I dont care how dangerous people think Rogers is . Just ask Sancheese how tuff it is to score
standing on the sideline for twelve minutes of every quarter ?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

I wonder how much of a homer I must be, b/c I never see it the same way as the analysist. Do the they really dislike the Steelers or are they more objective?
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Mendenhall could run for 200 yards, but thats not going to help the defense against Aaron Rogers. Thats why he's being overrlooked at the moment. And if Pouncey doesn't play, you can forget the run game.

"To win a game, first you have to not lose the game" - John Madden
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
Mendenhall could run for 200 yards, but thats not going to help the defense against Aaron Rogers. Thats why he's being overrlooked at the moment. And if Pouncey doesn't play, you can forget the run game.
Even after Pouncey went down, the run game was gashing the Jets D for big gains. In the NFC Championship matt forte had a lot of nice runs too, and that's running behind probably the worst O-Line in the league.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
Forget the run game? I think they did alright after Pouncey went out... but maybe I was watching a different game.
steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
chitownpit
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16129

Were over looked by over paid washed up players and anylists who are
trying to sell the flash of the game . Their trying to sell you high flying circus
acts , high scoring teams , with flashy players . They dont want to have to
sell our brand of football.

Like Tomlin says , It wasn`t pretty , but i dont count style points.
A win is a win ........
Old 01-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelax04 View Post
Forget the run game? I think they did alright after Pouncey went out... but maybe I was watching a different game.
They ran decently after Pouncey left, but it was clear after the game went on, him not being that was effecting that line. They weren't picking up run blitzes well enough and seemed to struggle in the passing game as well. You can bet the offensive coaches on the Steelers staff are thinking this way as well. But as fans I guess we're more worried about winning and not the small details.

"To win a game, first you have to not lose the game" - John Madden
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

They had 45 yards in the first drive with Pouncey for 5 YPC. Then 128 and a 2 TD after that without him for a 4.3 YPC (which is a little deceiving since the 2 TDs were for a whopping 3 yards and I took out Ben's four kneels for -7 yards). I'm not disagreeing with you that Pouncey changes the face of the Steelers line, I just think that saying "forget the run without Pouncey in there" is a little extreme, especially against a suspect GB front line as was noted by Merchant. If there was a substantial drop to say 3 or less, then maybe I'd be overly concerned.

And for another 'detail' Mendy running for 200 yards would be extremely effective against Rodgers... it will keep him off the field. That's the best help the offense could give the defense. Just imagine two or three 9 minute drives like they put on the Jets.

Last edited by steelax04; 01-24-2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Accounted for Ben's four kneels
steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote