Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-29-2006, 10:49 PM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,617 Posts
Default Re: Rate our Day 1 draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh
3rd we should of Got the Safty Bing From USC he is freinds wit Troy and ppl had him going to the Steelers in round 1
people had ko simpson going to the steelers in round one too. safeties traditionally arent 1st round pick anyways unless they are bona fide pro bowlers like ed reed, or t. polamalu. or severe risks like s. taylor. other than that if youre going for a safety in round 1 youre probably reaching.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:02 PM   #12
Volpe1564
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 397

i dunno fellas.....i guess its B-/C+. i trust cowher and all but man i really think White would have been great for us. everyone forgets that he has never missed a game in college or high school! hows that for work ethic? i really thought that they were gonna trade up in the second for him too.....ohh well i hope we see alot of D picks tomorrow...like Elvis Dumerville from Louisville. he already said he would go to OLB.

dont like my politics?? dont voice yours and i will not voice mine
Volpe1564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 08:10 AM   #13
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Bing and WHite both dropped so far, that there had to be something else. Our last two big backs Bettis and Staley both came from other teams, so lets wait and see maybe there is some truth to the interest in Duckett
Old 04-30-2006, 08:18 AM   #14
dbish33
Water Boy

Member Number: 2259

I give a B as well......getting Holmes is definitely filling a glaring need. Giving up the picks was no big deal since 10 draft picks certainly arent going to make this team. The Reid pick surprised me quite a bit....I was thinking D-Line.....and Im still hoping that we pick up Rodrique Wright, the big DL from Texas to give us two Longhorns on our line! I was thinking Michael Robinson today or even Brad Smith but I dont see that happening after picking two WR yesterday.
dbish33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:02 AM   #15
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

C+ like the Holmkes pick, but think we gave up too much for him.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:11 AM   #16
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Santonio Holmes: Solid A

Anthony Smith: C+ (With Bing, something isn't right. Maybe they know something we don't about this kid?)

Willie Reid: D (I felt this pick could have waited later in the draft)

I'm taking the wait and see approach with this draft, as I do every Steeler draft. I'm not going to jump the Clemente until I see how these guys pan out. Overall, I give our draft a B-.

For the record: Mel Kiper got 26 wrong out of 32 in the first round. ESPN actually pays this guy good money.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-30-2006 at 09:25 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:25 AM   #17
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988

An B+ in my book. They addressed there needs and that was to upgrade the WR and S spots with depth. They didn't have many holes to fill in for this year.
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #18
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Outsiders view?

I'd give it a C.

I think, in hindsight, that they got the trade for Santonio Holmes wrong in terms of draft picks surrendered for it but I guess he was the WR the Steelers wanted - as the first WR taken he will be an upgrade over Randel El straight away(but obviously doesnt bring the other talents that randel has in other areas)

Safety pick Smith appears to be a playmaking substitute for Troy P. - I doubt they can have both these guys taking risks - you need a solid option to balance things out, im guessing the guy from Washington (Ryan) will be the safety valve (pun intended).

Not to wander too far from the point, but the Patriots pick of a TE seemed strange at first but he was the most talented player available at that point - there is very little left at OLB/ILB left worth a first day pick.

With the 3rd pick, the Steelers seemed at a loss what to do with it (for probably the same reason as the pats) and ended up drafting for an area of need (I still think the Steelers WR corps is the weak link) and reaching instead of selcting the most talented player available.

As I said in the draft thread - the Steelers have small holes to fill - a team like the Titans are always going to appear to have had a great impact draft in comparison.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 04-30-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:40 AM   #19
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
As I said in the draft thread - the Steelers have small holes to fill - a team like the Titans are always going to appear to have had a great impact draft in comparison.
NM
Very good point LITP.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:46 AM   #20
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Outsiders view?

I'd give it a C.

After all the talk, id be interested to see if the Steelers go for Robinson to fulfil the slash role and how high they are willing to go on day2 to get him.

NM
ive been on my soapbox saying we needed to draft m. robinson with our 3rd rounder. we coulda probably landed w. ried in the 4th round cause hes a much lower profile player not on many teams radar. hes cut in the mold of steve smith so in 3 years it could look like a brilliant move.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote