Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #11
wutchy
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 161
Member Number: 17595
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: n huge games, think big ... Big Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
look at elway's stats, he was garbage until terrell davis was drafted
True. I was NOT an Elway fan. He was over rated. But he never had a great defense, and still got to 5 super bowls. Why, he could roll out abd beat you with his feet, or buy time. He had Shannon Sharpe though, and that was just as important as Ben having Hines Ward.
He didn't win until Terrell Davis showed up and put them ovewr the hump. But Elway got the love.
wutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #12
El Nino
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 367
Member Number: 17899
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: n huge games, think big ... Big Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutchy View Post
You try to credit Ben with wins, and don't factor in defense. Ben couldn't get us to the playoffs with a lesser defense.
Ben deserves some credit, a lot of it. With Neil O'Donnell we couldn't win the sb. With Kordell Stewart and Maddox couldn't get us there. All their teams had great defenses and running games behind them. It's true Ben has a great defense behind him, but so did those other 3 QB's, and Ben was the only one who won us championships. 2 to boot with a chance to win a 3rd.

A lot of it is because of Ben. I'm not saying he deserves ALL the credit, he does have a team of 53 men who are all responsible, but he's done a hell of a job. If he wins his #3 he will get the respect of the greats who played this game.
El Nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #13
Aussie Steeler
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 75
Member Number: 17896
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: n huge games, think big ... Big Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutchy View Post
Brady, Manning, Brees, and Rivers are better QB's. Ben has the leagues best defense to help him win because he can't get points on the board. Ben numbers and stats are comparable to Eli Manning and Joe Flacco. But Eli doesn't have the defense Ben has. Flacco does, thus you have two evenly matched teams in Baltimore and Pittsburgh, with most games decided by a few points. And i think Ben has yet to beat Eli.

The defense makes Ben look good, and LeBeau makes Tomlin look good.

Bradshaw won 4 super bowls, but nobody ever said Bradshaw was the best. Bradshaw was better than Ben for my money. At least he was a pocket passer - and he could scramble too.
Have a look at the Steelers' O-line. Now compare that to Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, Eli and Flacco. Stats don't show the whole picture, evident in the last game against Jets.

And how can you say Ben can't put points on the board? When Ben gets free reign to pass first, he absolutely tears up secondaries - time and time again.
Aussie Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #14
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie
 
SteelCityMom's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the land of The Crazies
Posts: 7,687
Gender: Female
Member Number: 16666
Thanks: 2,756
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: n huge games, think big ... Big Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutchy View Post
. Ben numbers and stats are comparable to Eli Manning and Joe Flacco. But Eli doesn't have the defense Ben has. Flacco does, thus you have two evenly matched teams in Baltimore and Pittsburgh, with most games decided by a few points. And i think Ben has yet to beat Eli.
Did you just compare Ben's stats to Eli and Flacco stats? Do you even know their stats? Flacco is getting better, but Eli has never become more than average. And their passing stats have little to nothing to do with their defenses.
__________________
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause and effect, but actually from a non-linear non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff.


http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #15
LukesDad88
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 394
Member Number: 12562
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: n huge games, think big ... Big Ben

Ben has a higher career passer rating than Montana, Marino, Favre, and Brees. He is within spitting distance of Brady and Manning. There is nobody above him that has more rings than Brady. He made plays necessary to beat the team that stymied both Brady and Manning. He has been in the league 7 years, and has led them to the AFCCG 4 times. He's played in the AFCCG more years than he hasn't since entering the league.

Last edited by SteelCityMom; 01-24-2011 at 10:55 PM.
LukesDad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
caseyviator
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 113
Member Number: 17468
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: n huge games, think big ... Big Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukesDad88 View Post
Ben has a higher career passer rating than Montana, Marino, Favre, and Brees. He is within spitting distance of Brady and Manning. There is nobody above him that has more rings than Brady. He made plays necessary to beat the team that stymied both Brady and Manning. He has been in the league 7 years, and has led them to the AFCCG 4 times. He's played in the AFCCG more years than he hasn't since entering the league.
BEN IS FIRST alltime in yards/pass attempt
ben is first alltime in yards/pass completion

all time!!!!!!! what this shows is ben is no dink n dunk westcoast offense 5 yard crossing routs...
ben my friends,, he throws the ball down the field !!!!!!! he throws better than any qb in history down the field according to stats of all things!! that is better than montana, bradshaw, marino, unitas, elway,manning,brady,fouts,stalbach, farve, or anyoneelse!! if you go by the stats...see ben is great by stats or being a winner ,,either or, hes still sumthin that comes around once a generation or 2 or 3.....as well as other stats mentioned above, i have to wonder what are sum of these people watching if they dont think ben is one of the alltime great qbs already and is the current best qb playing rite now!!! yes yes better than the god like brady and manning as well as the qbs that have no business in the same discusiion as ben such as rivers and rodgers.

just check bens stats vs eli manning and flacco r u kidding me did u even look at them, not even the same league as ben.
caseyviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #17
FanSince72
Team President
 
FanSince72's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 2,301
Member Number: 17502
Thanks: 325
Thanked 1,142 Times in 511 Posts
Default Re: n huge games, think big ... Big Ben

The way I feel about Ben is like this:

In the AFCC game, after the last TD by the Jets, they lined up to kick off with 3:06 left in the game and all three timeouts.

Phil Simms mentioned that the Steelers were lined up anticipating an onside kick, but dismissed the idea saying that the Jets should just kick it off normally and use their timeouts and the two-minute-warning to get the ball back.

At that point I thought to myself: "Big mistake!"

You simply do not give Ben the ball with 3:06 left and expect to get the ball back because Ben will find a way to keep getting first downs and force you to run the clock out because Ben gets it done when he has to!

Period!

Guys like Simms think in terms of running and then punting and then playing defense and he even suggested as much when it was 3rd and 6 with 2:00 left.
But Ben isn't Phil Simms (thank God) and he's not afraid to throw the ball in critical situations if necessary and more importantly, Tomlin isn't afraid to let him because he knows that Ben gets it done when he has to!

End result?

Ben got it done...


AGAIN.

When I talk about the great Terry Bradshaw teams of the 70's, I always say that Terry was the kind of QB that if the Steelers were trailing 31-10 at the end of the 3rd Quarter and you turned the game off, you'd pick up the paper the next day and read that they won 35-31.

That's the way it was with Bradshaw and that's the way I feel about Ben; he's the "Terry Bradshaw" of our time.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #18
El Nino
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 367
Member Number: 17899
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: n huge games, think big ... Big Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
The way I feel about Ben is like this:

In the AFCC game, after the last TD by the Jets, they lined up to kick off with 3:06 left in the game and all three timeouts.

Phil Simms mentioned that the Steelers were lined up anticipating an onside kick, but dismissed the idea saying that the Jets should just kick it off normally and use their timeouts and the two-minute-warning to get the ball back.

At that point I thought to myself: "Big mistake!"

You simply do not give Ben the ball with 3:06 left and expect to get the ball back because Ben will find a way to keep getting first downs and force you to run the clock out because Ben gets it done when he has to!

Period!

Guys like Simms think in terms of running and then punting and then playing defense and he even suggested as much when it was 3rd and 6 with 2:00 left.
But Ben isn't Phil Simms (thank God) and he's not afraid to throw the ball in critical situations if necessary and more importantly, Tomlin isn't afraid to let him because he knows that Ben gets it done when he has to!

End result?

Ben got it done...


AGAIN.

When I talk about the great Terry Bradshaw teams of the 70's, I always say that Terry was the kind of QB that if the Steelers were trailing 31-10 at the end of the 3rd Quarter and you turned the game off, you'd pick up the paper the next day and read that they won 35-31.

That's the way it was with Bradshaw and that's the way I feel about Ben; he's the "Terry Bradshaw" of our time.
but.. but.. but.. REVIS!!!!!

lol sorry i had to say that.
El Nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #19
OX1947
Living Legend
 
OX1947's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,664
Member Number: 723
Thanks: 167
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts
Default Re: n huge games, think big ... Big Ben

Some of you need to wait 13 more days before you write this stuff. He needs to win the 3rd one. 2-1 to me doesnt look good in Super Bowls. 3-0 does.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #20
Third Rail
Team Captain
 
Third Rail's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 761
Member Number: 16177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: n huge games, think big ... Big Ben

Hold your horses, everyone. Ben hasn't proven himself to be a big time quarterback yet because Gary Coleman Douchebag Guy on the Fever Forums says he sucks.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts