Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609
Default Reverse Racism in the NFL ?

Saw this story, and it kinda upsets me a little IF Roger Goodell doesn't look into it seriously. I mean I HOPE no Steeler players said anything racial to him. But really, should the league look into this ? Cause I wonder what the uproar would be if say a White LB or DE said, " Hey Black Boy, you ain't doin nothing against us "...I wonder how the Jesse Jackson's and Al Sharpton's of the world would react ?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/nfl-...r-being-white/
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082
Default Re: Reverse Racism in the NFL ?

Is there really such a thing as reverse racism. Racism is racism to me. I know its not the point of the thread just curious. Could you imagine If a defense were yelling at Vick or Vince young no Ni--er is going to pass on us.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

It's wrong. Goodelle should look into it and remind players that using race (even if it is just to try to psych out) is not acceptable. That is a bad example for kids.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
It's wrong. Goodelle should look into it and remind players that using race (even if it is just to try to psych out) is not acceptable. That is a bad example for kids.

I agree. I know saying White Boy is not as bad as saying the N word. But still, as I said, if a White player refered to a African-American as Black Boy, you KNOW there would be a national outrage from the media. And since we played them twice, I hope no one on our team ever said that to him.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Smack talk on the field is completely legal. Obviously race is an issue, if Hillis said some racial thing to a black player and that black player attacked him, he wouldn't get in trouble because Hillis was being racist and deserved to get beat. But if a black player is racist towards Hillis and he attacks a black player, he'd probably get expelled from the league.

But again all smack talk is legal, racist or not...

"To win a game, first you have to not lose the game" - John Madden
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:26 PM   #6
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
Smack talk on the field is completely legal. Obviously race is an issue, if Hillis said some racial thing to a black player and that black player attacked him, he wouldn't get in trouble because Hillis was being racist and deserved to get beat. But if a black player is racist towards Hillis and he attacks a black player, he'd probably get expelled from the league.

Bottom line is race needs too be removed from the equation. The NFL is a professional league. I don't think it will be a big problem. It is just something that needs to be addressed. I think with the momo/warning, it will stop.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Quote:

Racial Smack talk is NOT Legal dude, get serious. There is a moral code in the league. And I guarantee you if any White player refered to a Black player as " Hey Black Boy, you ain't getting nothin " against us, that White player would be fined and suspended. And you can bet your life on that. As long as there is a Jesse Jackson and a Al Sharpton around. But what worries me is that I don't think the league office will think the term " White Boy " as racist. And that my friend IS a Double standard.

I guarantee you I'm gonna be watching this. And see how Goodell handles it.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:37 PM   #8
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpalinhater View Post
Racial Smack talk is NOT Legal dude, get serious. There is a moral code in the league. And I guarantee you if any White player refered to a Black player as " Hey Black Boy, you ain't getting nothin " against us, that White player would be fined and suspended. And you can bet your life on that. As long as there is a Jesse Jackson and a Al Sharpton around. But what worries me is that I don't think the league office will think the term " White Boy " as racist. And that my friend IS a Double standard.

There is no real NFL rule about saying anything on the field. They provide warnings not to swear, but we've all watched the NFL on tv, you can hear them swearing. No one gets fined for it no one will. Out of the 40 years since the merger, I'm sure there has been some redneck players that were racist calling out black players, but whens the last time anyone got in trouble for it?

Individual teams actually are supposed to fine players for any on field actions that they seem wrong that isn't covered by the NFL rules.

Now if a player complained to the media like "Peyton Manning called me the N word" you could get Jesse Jackson to step in and demand something be done. The NFL will gladly fine Peyton, but its not in the rules. If the player complains to Goodell about it, but says he wont go public with the information, no one will get fined because its technically legal.

NFL tried to regulate trash talk on the field before the merger but it didn't work out too well, everyone just ended up getting fined every game, so they just let them do whatever. They are men, they want to swear and yell at each other. Science shows in the heat of emotion a person will let out feelings that they don't truely believe.

"To win a game, first you have to not lose the game" - John Madden
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #9
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpalinhater View Post

I agree but before we overreact, first make sure Goodell knows about it. If he hears about it, I guarantee he will send out a memo.

Quote:
There is no real NFL rule about saying anything on the field. They provide warnings not to swear, but we've all watched the NFL on tv, you can hear them swearing. No one gets fined for it no one will. Out of the 40 years since the merger, I'm sure there has been some redneck players that were racist calling out black players, but whens the last time anyone got in trouble for it?
There is a general race code of conduct that applies like in all professional businesses. Sure in the past, people got away with such things but times have changed...that's what makes us better and the past wrong.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
El Nino
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17899

it's because over the years, the name of the position was renamed to running black, cause there's no white guys at that position lol
El Nino is offline   Reply With Quote