Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850
Default Re: Reverse Racism in the NFL ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
I agree but before we overreact, first make sure Goodell knows about it. If he hears about it, I guarantee he will send out a memo.

There is a general race code of conduct that applies like in all professional businesses. Sure in the past, people got away with such things but times have changed...that's what makes us better and the past wrong.
Well obviously there is conduct policies for the NFL and teams and teams have the right to conduct their players however they wish within the general NFL rules.

I understand the whole double standard about racism towards white people, its been like that my whole life, you can't even bring it up without people pulling out the slavery card and all the troubles whitey has given to blacks. But thats not my point, my point is racism and such is part of trash tralk (whether you agree with it or not) which is allowed and it will never be regulated on the field to the point that people want it to be. Sure there will be warnings and refs will say stop it, and players usually obey the refs, but it wont stop. Even if players start getting fined and suspended over it, its just the emotions of the game. If it escaladed into a fight, someone would be in trouble, but as long as players just go "well F you" and walk back to their sideline, no one gets in trouble.

Off the field it is constantly regulated though. We see players fined for saying stupid things with the media, on twitter, or just anywhere that gets publicized. But I just don't see anyway it would be successful on the field.

"To win a game, first you have to not lose the game" - John Madden
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post

I understand the whole double standard about racism towards white people, its been like that my whole life, you can't even bring it up without people pulling out the slavery card and all the troubles whitey has given to blacks.
Actually. That's the part I'm not interested in. I'm not interested in people using this as an agenda/ platform for other tings they are feeling in society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
my point is racism and such is part of trash tralk (whether you agree with it or not) which is allowed and it will never be regulated on the field to the point that people want it to be.
Here is where we disagree. Race need not be part of trash talking and we can stop it. It stops when you say it is wrong, send out a memo and use peer pressure with possible fines. These players have white friends on their teams so if their friends tell them they disagree with using it, it would make a difference too.

Once the memo is sent out, each coach should be responsible for managing his own players and any violations should be reported to the league. I don't think most use it so you can't let a few street thugs cast a shadow on all people in the league.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

don't care what they call him...he'd look good in the Black and Gold...that's all I know...watched him in College and he got buried on the Houston Nutt roster behind McFadden and Felix Jones...

seriously...Hillis, Jones and McFadden in the Backfield...sickest running game I've ever seen live.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #14
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpalinhater View Post
I agree. I know saying White Boy is not as bad as saying the N word. But still, as I said, if a White player refered to a African-American as Black Boy, you KNOW there would be a national outrage from the media. And since we played them twice, I hope no one on our team ever said that to him.

White Boy.
Black Boy.
Its the same exact thing and should be treated identically. The way it goes is that they'll look into the "black boy" thing more and on a higher level. Thats what promotes racism in the 1st place.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #15
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,147 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
White Boy.
Black Boy.
Its the same exact thing and should be treated identically. The way it goes is that they'll look into the "black boy" thing more and on a higher level. Thats what promotes racism in the 1st place.
BINGO.

I know racism is wrong, but trying to force people to not be racist and pretending it only goes one way (the hell is reverse racism?) does nothing to further anyone's cause. It only makes it worse.

Saying "the N word" is just as bad as saying ******. You automatically put the thought in someone's head whether you beat around the bush about it or flat out say it.

You aren't going to change anyones thoughts by fining them either. I would think if something racist were said on the field that knocking them down and making a huge play would hurt them more.

The whole sociological effort (that goes way beyond football) to make everyone equal in other people's minds will always fail miserably. You can not order people to think others are equal. It may sound harsh, but it's true. I'm not saying we should take away the equal rights the government has given to all people (based on sex, race, religion, whatnot)....I'm just saying that you're not going to change the way people actually think if they don't want to change the way they think.

Just my
Old 01-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #16
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
BINGO.

You aren't going to change anyones thoughts by fining them either. I would think if something racist were said on the field that knocking them down and making a huge play would hurt them more.

The whole sociological effort (that goes way beyond football) to make everyone equal in other people's minds will always fail miserably. You can not order people to think others are equal. It may sound harsh, but it's true. I'm not saying we should take away the equal rights the government has given to all people (based on sex, race, religion, whatnot)....I'm just saying that you're not going to change the way people actually think if they don't want to change the way they think.

Just my
I think there is a difference between thoughts and actions. You can't control what someone thinks but you can control actions. Football is a professional sport so they need to act like professionals.

The difference is the actions/words are things that others have to deal with.

I think the sociological effort has been a huge success (but this depends on where you live). It is not perfect because people are not perfect but a lot of progress has been made. Even the not wanting to appear racist is good. There was a time when that was the popular thing. Peer pressure helped that. People want to be thought of as good and cool.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #17
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
I think there is a difference between thoughts and actions. You can't control what someone thinks but you can control actions. Football is a professional sport so they need to act like professionals.

The difference is the actions/words are things that others have to deal with.

I think the sociological effort has been a huge success (but this depends on where you live). It is not perfect because people are not perfect but a lot of progress has been made. Even the not wanting to appear racist is good. There was a time when that was the popular thing. Peer pressure helped that. People want to be thought of as good and cool.
No, I know...and I'm not saying that anybody should just go around and say whatever they want, but I just don't like the talk of having leagues owners or the NAACP step in and handle something like racial slurs being slung around.

It's just how I feel. I also think it should be legal for you to receive an ass kicking for making racial slurs to someone's face. That would stop more people from doing it than anything else.

I disagree with you about not wanting to appear racist. I think that's worse than actually stating how you feel. The North for a long time didn't want "to appear racist", but they were worse in some of their actions and laws than the South. If you don't like someone or something, just say it. Thinking and acting one way in front of a certain group and differently in front of another just makes you a hypocritical asshole. I'd rather know where someone stands from the get go....if that makes any sense.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #18
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
No, I know...and I'm not saying that anybody should just go around and say whatever they want, but I just don't like the talk of having leagues owners or the NAACP step in and handle something like racial slurs being slung around.

It's just how I feel. I also think it should be legal for you to receive an ass kicking for making racial slurs to someone's face. That would stop more people from doing it than anything else.

I disagree with you about not wanting to appear racist. I think that's worse than actually stating how you feel. The North for a long time didn't want "to appear racist", but they were worse in some of their actions and laws than the South. If you don't like someone or something, just say it. Thinking and acting one way in front of a certain group and differently in front of another just makes you a hypocritical asshole. I'd rather know where someone stands from the get go....if that makes any sense.

Mom I'm still not sure what point you are trying to make. I mean bottom line is that is I...as a caucasian player yelled accross the Line of scrimmage to a RB who was African-American and uttered,," Hey Black BOY!...You ain't gettin sh it against us "..
well Mom you Damn well know that would be lead story number one throughout the freaking nation. It would get more national pub then tonights " State of the Union Address " And if you don'y feel that way Mom, then you're not living in reality.

Also, even though the WORLD may not think so, but I say the word " Honky" is every bit as egregious as the " N " word. But, say that to a white player, or call a White RB
as a " White Boy "...and Zippo,,,nothing happens. Belive me Mom,,,it was the " Black Caucus of America " that got, or forced Goodell to suspend Ben. Cause they thought that their Hero...M.Vick was treated unfairly before he was ever convicted. It was Black pressure. But,,,any organazation that tried to PUSH these comments made against WHITE P.Hillis against certain BLACK player...won't be called anything other then a version of White Supremacy Mom.

And that is the Bottom line.
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #19
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpalinhater View Post
Mom I'm still not sure what point you are trying to make. I mean bottom line is that is I...as a caucasian player yelled accross the Line of scrimmage to a RB who was African-American and uttered,," Hey Black BOY!...You ain't gettin sh it against us "..
well Mom you Damn well know that would be lead story number one throughout the freaking nation. It would get more national pub then tonights " State of the Union Address " And if you don'y feel that way Mom, then you're not living in reality.

Also, even though the WORLD may not think so, but I say the word " Honky" is every bit as egregious as the " N " word. But, say that to a white player, or call a White RB
as a " White Boy "...and Zippo,,,nothing happens. Belive me Mom,,,it was the " Black Caucus of America " that got, or forced Goodell to suspend Ben. Cause they thought that their Hero...M.Vick was treated unfairly before he was ever convicted. It was Black pressure. But,,,any organazation that tried to PUSH these comments made against WHITE P.Hillis against certain BLACK player...won't be called anything other then a version of White Supremacy Mom.

And that is the Bottom line.
I never said there wasn't a double standard. I don't know how you got that out of what I wrote.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #20
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609

Mom, then you are saying that the league should take this as seriously as if it were a White player saying " Hey Black Boy!...right ? Then why no outrage from you ? Or the nation ?
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote