Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #21
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: a slap in Santonio Holmes face

last year at this time i posted that we would not resign Holmes. i said when his contract was up he would be gone. most of the members here tore me up and told me i was crazy if i thought we would be dumb enough to not resign our top wr. Boy has alot changed in a year
Old 01-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #22
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,340 Times in 2,904 Posts

Holmes acting out after the loss Sunday has the New York media wondering what will happen once Holmes lands his big contract

Brass should be wary of paying WR
A word of warning to the Jets: Proceed with caution as you decide whether to sign Santonio Holmes to a lucrative long-term contract this offseason.

In the immediate aftermath of the Jets’ AFC Championship Game loss to the Steelers on Sunday night, there was a measurable crack in the good behavior that Holmes has displayed this season in a contract year....

Holmes has, on the few occasions when things were not going perfectly this season, showed an alarming propensity to become temperamental, which is curious for a player who says he prides himself on leading by example as a former Super Bowl MVP.

A prominent NFL coach, who spoke to The Post on the condition of anonymity when analyzing the Jets and their season, pointed to the Holmes-Braylon Edwards tandem as a potential problem in the making for the Jets.

He suggested Jets coaches trying to appease the two are in danger of getting away from doing what the Jets do best, which is run the ball.

“The problem you have with Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards is they can be such a—holes if they don’t get the ball that you have to get them the ball just to have order and sanity,” the coach said. “The biggest problem there is, you’re managing people before you even manage the game.”...

Remember, the Steelers, perhaps the classist, most personnel-savvy franchise in the league, gave him away to the Jets for a fifth-round draft pick in a trade a year ago. There was obviously a reason for that. We saw some of that reason Sunday night in that visitor’s locker room in Pittsburgh.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...qKmVYdacxdDRAO
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #23
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
he had an an even sweeter catch vs the patriots in the endzone the week before, but i totally forgot to include the main point of me starting thes thread.

after the game was over, when all the players and coaches were going to midfield for handshakes and congrats, they quickly cut to santonio, looking despondent sitting on the bench, and a teammate coming up to console him as he pouted.

could it be that he didnt even go onto the field to congratulate his ex "brothers"?

it didnt seem like he did, and if he didnt, i wouldnt be the least bit suprized.
Only shot I saw was Holmes sulking on the bench - you know he wanted badly to win and do "the Jet" at Heinz Field, as evidenced by Holmes doing his tiresome first down signal in the third quarter when the Jets were down 24-3.

I can see Holmes not shaking hands with Tomlin, who fired him, but not congratulating any of his former teammates confirms my suspicions about the "band of brothers" claims we read about pro sports teams - some players no doubt are close to their ex- teammates but it's a business
Old 01-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #24
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

The fans are ripping that writer to shreds. They are still drunk on the Kool-Aid, they'll get tired of his crap soon enough though.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #25
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

It just goes to show how unimportant most WR's are. You really need to be like a Hines Ward to be truly valuable to a team. Hines is clutch, he blocks like no other, and he's a leader on and off the field. Not to mention he loves the steelers and winning more then anything. Thats the kind of WR you want. Guys like Holmes are replaceable.

Just look at the two SB teams.... We lost Holmes (who many said was our best WR) and the Packers lost Finley to injury. Yet both are in the SB. I think WR's everywhere just saw their next contract offer drop by 10%. Sure you need to have talent at the WR position, but should not spend a ton of $ on them. Just look at the Patriots. If you want to win in the NFL you need a good QB and play makers on defense....add that to a good coach and you've got a SB contender.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #26
harts
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7323

You guys are so biased and hate Santonio so much - If Hines was on the ratbirds you would be calling him dirty
Sad
The thing about NYC fans they see the truth most of the time and are not afraid to tell it.
Living with 6 million people you quickly learn how to tell what's real from what's not.

Santonio was no saint while he was here
But if Ben can stay so can Santonio

Here are the responses so far to the article on the website - I tend to agree with them

magroin

01/25/2011 11:25 AM

The Steelers gave Holmes away in a LAME attempt to set an example. What it said to me was that if you're NOT the star QB and you make a mistake they'll make an example out of you. I reminded me of what happened to Lavernous Coles at Florida St. Warrick was the star of the team so there was NO WAY they were cutting him even though he was the guy that setup the whole deal. Coles was along for the ride but he also wasn't the star so he was the one made an example out of. Compare Rothlisberger's actions to Holmes and tell me on character and actions alone which guy should have been let go.
#

nacilbuper

01/25/2011 11:12 AM

he should throw shottenheimer under the bus! and rex should show shottyt he door! he is the SINGLE reason the jets are not going to the super bowl and they will never win with him!!! FIRE SHOTTY FIRE SHOTTY FIRE SHOTTY
#

keonidri

01/25/2011 9:44 AM

Enough about the Steelers being a "class" organization. Last time I checked they had a twice accused rapist as their starting QB and face of the franchise.
#

jadeeagle

01/25/2011 8:48 AM

Cannizaro time and time again you prove to be a bigger moron. Each and every article of yours is more moronic and shophmoric than the previous. Where did you get your education from, "you was robbed". I wrote it that way on purpose you fat pizza face bufon
#

jadeeagle

01/25/2011 8:46 AM

Holmes was absolutely correct in stating the obvious. Crappenheimer blew the plays at goal line. All night long the steelers were stopping the run. Second whay didn't they bring in that big fullback John Conner to hammer it in with his strength. Also, Ryan blew it by deferring the kickoff, and the steelers rammed it with a long drive. The coaching was (C-).
#

speedroc

01/25/2011 8:23 AM

Mark you're way off on this one. Holmes didn't say anything EVERYONE with two eyes didn't say regarding Schott. He made terrible play calls during the goal line drive. If Holmes says nothing to you or the other reporters, you complain. When he speaks up (telling the truth as well) you complain. Can't have it both ways.
#

Secondbuoy

01/25/2011 7:01 AM

Schottenheimer, who has had both great games and bad games, was way off for this one. Holmes had a right to be upset. Schotty should explain several decisions he made: The stupid play calling at the goal line, the failure to stop the clock when two scores behind, etc. Holmes and Edwards cleaned up their acts this year and were key to the Jets success.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...#ixzz1C4KiWhPA
harts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #27
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts

Every good or great receiver is an a-hole when they do not get the ball, except Hines Ward.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #28
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harts View Post
You guys are so biased and hate Santonio so much - If Hines was on the ratbirds you would be calling him dirty
Sad
The thing about NYC fans they see the truth most of the time and are not afraid to tell it.
Living with 6 million people you quickly learn how to tell what's real from what's not.

Santonio was no saint while he was here
But if Ben can stay so can Santonio

Here are the responses so far to the article on the website - I tend to agree with them
[/url]
Yep - NYC fans are the most objective fans on the planet

I was unaware of the psychological studies that show those living in larger metropolitan areas have a greater capacity for separating fact from fiction but thanks for passing along that information

As far as Ben staying and Holmes not staying, Holmes already had the 2 run-ins with the police in the months after he was drafted, the run-in with the Pittsburgh PD when he was busted for pot, failing a drug test when he tested positive again (he would not have recived a 4 week suspension if it was his first positive test), tweeting about his pot use (it's time to wake and bake), and the run-in at the club in Florida where someone tossed a drink in a woman's face - that is what we know about.

So you can make an argument Santonio has a longer record of alleged misdeeds without defending Roethlisberger's alleged conduct.

But guess what? It's a business and not all players at all positions are treated equally in the NFL anymore than all employees get cut the same amount of slack in any business.

If you want to send a message that you are tired of all the field crap, do you trade your once in a Steelers generation franchise QB (there was a 20 year gap since the Steelers had their previous one) who is under contract for years or a player at a position that is much easier to replace who was not going to be in Pittsburgh after 2010 in any event and allegedly spent much of 2009 being a jackass in the locker room?

Take a guess what my answer is,
Old 01-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #29
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,139 Times in 510 Posts

You know, it's not Santonio as much as it's Ryan.

Santonio, like all young phenom's, thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread and they want to be the star of the show on every play. But it's up to the coach to rein that in and make everyone understand that this is a business and that they produce a product and that guys like Holmes are simply part of the production line, not the main event.

I was watching a piece on ESPN that talked about the Holmes trade. They were talking to some Jets Front Office guy who got the call from Pittsburgh offering Holmes. He said that he went to Ryan's office and was told he was in a meeting. He asked Ryan's secretary to tell him that he had the Steelers on the line and about Holmes. There were apparently windows between he and Ryan's meeting room and he asked her to just tell Rex to give him a thumbs up or down through the glass.

But instead of that simple yes or no, he said that Ryan stopped the meeting and came running out saying something like "Hell yeah I want him!" and rumbled down to this guy's office to speak to the Steelers F.O. personally.

That kind of reaction is what sets the tone for future problems. He gets all jazzed over the fact that he can score this Super Bowl MVP and that excitement telegraphs its way back to Holmes and he can then start making demands.

Ryan is very passionate about what he does and he certainly loves being the coach. But he's too much like a parent who parties with his kids -- he tries too hard to be a buddy and a cheerleader and in the end he loses their respect and loses his ability to maintain control. So instead of a professional organization, he ends up being the master of ceremonies in a three-ring circus.

By comparison, Tomlin is as boring as watching maple syrup drip off a teaspoon but everyone knows who's in charge. Tomlin has a fun side and he does the chest-bump thing or the prizefighter thing with his players, but only AFTER something has been accomplished. A 30 yard pass play is great and the fans are jumping out of their seats, but unless it was for a TD, Tomlin isn't doing anything other than figuring out what's next.

Noll was like that too. I've seen Noll after the Steelers scored maybe their fifth TD and his facial expression still looked as if someone just shot his dog. Tomlin is like that too and that's the thing I really like about him; he doesn't celebrate until there's something to cheer about.

Ryan, on the other hand, could witness a two yard gain for a routine first down and he's bouncing around like someone who just hit the lottery. When his players (many of whom are just barely over the legal drinking age) see that, they think he's one of their buddies and they begin to lose sight of the fact that he's essentially their boss and they start to think they can pretty much do anything they want.

It's all about keeping a poker face, maintaining discipline and being a professional and Ryan simply hasn't figured that part out yet and until he does, he'll have guys like Holmes walking all over him.
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #30
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,987 Times in 899 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Brown's little 6 yard catch was sweeter.
hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fer522 is online now   Reply With Quote