Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
steelers33
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17599
Default Just How Good the Secondary Red Zone D and Mendy have to Play

Mendy and the secondary are going to have to play like dynamite for us to win. They did somewhat verse the Jets and we have to have the same effort and more. Mendy running the ball on offense is absolutely huge for balance and keeping drives alive. Ben played well the last time these two teams played, but the Packers have evolved since then getting a lot better at secondary and the emergence of Clay Matthews. Ben can only rely on his escapabilty to a point, and the Packers have very athletic blitzers who can strip the ball. So we absolutely need to run the ball so Ben can makes plays off of that in play action and scrambling. Pouncey getting back to block Raji will be big. As for the secondary there is not much need for explaining here. Dicks new more aggresive press coverage defense is going to have to come in handy here. I see this offense a lot like the Cardinals offense when they made the Super Bowl against us, except they have a more mobile quarterback. Also it is not a gurantee our pass rushers get pressure. Green Bay has a pretty solid line with a pro bowl left tackle two good to elite interior lineman but they do have a rookie RT that Lammar needs to take advantage of. Red zone defense is going to be HUGE. GB most certainly will get their yards so we are really going to have to step up in this area big time. The tuning play in Super Bowl 43 was big game Jame's 100 yard red zone pick, and Urlacher almost took a red zone pick to the house in the NFC ship game. Red zone defense may be the deciding factor in this game, along with how Mendy and the secondary shows up.
steelers33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
btaylor179
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15251
Default Re: Just How Good the Secondary Red Zone D and Mendy have to Play

o yea
btaylor179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
USWSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17495

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers33 View Post
Mendy and the secondary are going to have to play like dynamite for us to win. They did somewhat verse the Jets and we have to have the same effort and more. Mendy running the ball on offense is absolutely huge for balance and keeping drives alive. Ben played well the last time these two teams played, but the Packers have evolved since then getting a lot better at secondary and the emergence of Clay Matthews. Ben can only rely on his escapabilty to a point, and the Packers have very athletic blitzers who can strip the ball. So we absolutely need to run the ball so Ben can makes plays off of that in play action and scrambling. Pouncey getting back to block Raji will be big. As for the secondary there is not much need for explaining here. Dicks new more aggresive press coverage defense is going to have to come in handy here. I see this offense a lot like the Cardinals offense when they made the Super Bowl against us, except they have a more mobile quarterback. Also it is not a gurantee our pass rushers get pressure. Green Bay has a pretty solid line with a pro bowl left tackle two good to elite interior lineman but they do have a rookie RT that Lammar needs to take advantage of. Red zone defense is going to be HUGE. GB most certainly will get their yards so we are really going to have to step up in this area big time. The tuning play in Super Bowl 43 was big game Jame's 100 yard red zone pick, and Urlacher almost took a red zone pick to the house in the NFC ship game. Red zone defense may be the deciding factor in this game, along with how Mendy and the secondary shows up.
How about Ben stepping up the Offense and maybe for once not putting all the pressure on the Defense to win the game ? Maybe more than 10 completions and less than 2 INTs . How about THAT ?
USWSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by USWSteel View Post
How about Ben stepping up the Offense and maybe for once not putting all the pressure on the Defense to win the game ? Maybe more than 10 completions and less than 2 INTs . How about THAT ?
Ok...lets look at it this way. I'll agree with you that Ben had a weak game on Sunday. He made some good plays, but overall...there was a lot to be desired. To those that want to defend the performance, yes..there are other intangibles to take into account (OL's Pass blocking, Pouncey going down).

But what was your excuse in the NE game, when Ben completed 30/49 passes (61.2%...that's pretty good), had 3 TD's and 1 INT and no fumbles?

In fact...Sundays game was the ONLY time this season Ben had more than one INT in a game (he had 5 total).

What about the Miami game where he went 19/27 and had a completion percentage of 70.4 with 2 TDs and no INTs?

He had 2 TDs and no INT's the Sunday before against the Ravens.

I think you're just looking for any reason to hate right now.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609

Quote:

You mean like he did in the last Super Bowl where OUR DEFENSE gave up a double digit lead. And Ben took us 90 Yds in under 2 minutes, and had 3 times where his O-Line commited Holding, and Ben had to complete 3 3rd & 20 situations ? You mean like that ?
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
El Nino
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17899

Quote:
what you talkin bout willis?
El Nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
USWSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17495

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Ok...lets look at it this way. I'll agree with you that Ben had a weak game on Sunday. He made some good plays, but overall...there was a lot to be desired. To those that want to defend the performance, yes..there are other intangibles to take into account (OL's Pass blocking, Pouncey going down).

But what was your excuse in the NE game, when Ben completed 30/49 passes (61.2%...that's pretty good), had 3 TD's and 1 INT and no fumbles?

In fact...Sundays game was the ONLY time this season Ben had more than one INT in a game (he had 5 total).

What about the Miami game where he went 19/27 and had a completion percentage of 70.4 with 2 TDs and no INTs?

He had 2 TDs and no INT's the Sunday before against the Ravens.

I think you're just looking for any reason to hate right now.
Come on MOM ...all those yards were racked up in garbage time.... the game was over. The offense didnt do squat until the 4th.

1 2 3 4 OT Total
New England Patriots 10 0 13 16 0 39
Pittsburgh Steelers 0 3 0 23 0 26

10-3 at half. Ok ? How about the offense keeping them in the game instead of the defense on almost every single game this year ! Honestly the Pats gave the O all the yards they wanted in the 4th the game was already over.

And the Miami game Ben fumbled away the win. You cant be serious about that. The Refs gave the Steelers that game. Yeah I think he played pretty good in the Ravens playoff game, but again it was the D that kept getting the ball back for the inept offense in that one. The O just looked on a they gave up a TD with Ben fumbled after two pump fakes near the goal line. Every one pinned that on Ben for holding it wayyyyyy to long there. I really hope he does do well I wanna see the Steelers win I just cant give him all the credit for everything like most of the people on this board do. I think its a team game and most people here like to think Ben wins these games single handedly. The AFCC game was won by Mendy the D and the OLINE. Ben had very little to do with the win.
USWSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:01 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,175 Times in 2,657 Posts

Quote:
hater.

would you like some cheese with that wine?
Old 01-26-2011, 02:12 AM   #9
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Like any team out there our front 7 will determine how good of game Rodgers has. I don't care if you have the 2 best cover corners ever out there both covering if you don't get pressure on the QB there will be an open receiver to go to. I do agree that if we run the ball well this will aid us in burning clock and keeping our Defense fresh.

The offense sustaining drives will be a key more so than our Secondary. I am more concerned with how we will handle the Packers Defensive Pressure than how long the secondary can cover.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:34 AM   #10
pitt0wns
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15034

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsteeler View Post
Like any team out there our front 7 will determine how good of game Rodgers has. I don't care if you have the 2 best cover corners ever out there both covering if you don't get pressure on the QB there will be an open receiver to go to. I do agree that if we run the ball well this will aid us in burning clock and keeping our Defense fresh.

The offense sustaining drives will be a key more so than our Secondary. I am more concerned with how we will handle the Packers Defensive Pressure than how long the secondary can cover.
Pressuring the QB is key to winning any game.

If they can get after Rodgers I like there chances.

Any given sunday
pitt0wns is offline   Reply With Quote