Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-30-2006, 09:39 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,649 Times in 4,009 Posts
Default willie ried scouting report and grades

Reid really made an impact as a receiver and returner his senior season. He is a very quick, elusive and explosive receiver who consistently makes big plays when he had the ball in the open field -- his vision and instincts help him find holes and he can explode through those holes to make big plays. He is a tough receiver who consistently has shown the willingness to catch passes in traffic without peeking/flinching, takes very hard hits and holds onto the ball. He runs sharp routes and consistently bursts out of cuts to get separation from defenders and has the hands to make the great catch consistently. He is smaller than ideal, but he plays tough and does not hesitate to run aggressively with the ball in the open field -- he consistently gets started upfield quickly and attacks the hole/crack. He is a receiver that will probably be drafted lower than he is rated, but in time he will prove the grade to be right. He can be a good starting receiver who can make plays once he has the ball in his hands and will be a dangerous punt returner early in his career.

CRITICAL FACTORS
Size Athletic Ability Hands Competes Play Speed Instincts
5.0 6.5 6.0 6.0 6.5 6.0

STRONG POINTS
Reid is a very good athlete with the explosiveness, playing speed and elusiveness to consistently make big plays once he has the ball in his hands. He runs sharp routes and has an explosive burst out of cuts to consistently get separation from defenders -- especially on deep post routes. He has good hands and has consistently shown the ability to adjust and make great catches seem routine. He gives a consistently good effort blocking down the field which helps him eliminate his man. He has the ability to consistently make big plays as a punt returner.

its a pretty long report so you can read the rest here:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/reid_willie

he reminds me alot of steve smith getting drafted in the 3rd round from utah.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
Dook
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 906
Default Re: willie ried scouting report and grades

We know what Hines Ward brings and TE Heath Miller. I have the feeling that we might have a better passing game than running game this season.

I really think it depends on Nate Washington. Wilson is an okay #2 and Morgan is a 5 year vet so he is what he is but Washington was a rookie last year.

This is his year to step up and take Wilson's spot or get pushed out of the way by Santonio Holmes.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

We have to be careful not to get away from the running game too..Ben is getting all these weapons and he's maturing each and every week into a great leader and QB. But we better make damn sure we have a solid running game to compliment him.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:32 AM   #4
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Ben cant` wait to go 300+ in consecutive games, he is probably licking his chops. I`m curious when we will get to see an interview with him
Old 04-30-2006, 11:47 AM   #5
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

i like this pick, we drafted him for special teams, so i doubt we'll see much of him on offense. and with drafting holmes i doubt we ever see nate washington, which i don't care cause we got a badass wr in holmes
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:54 PM   #6
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
We have to be careful not to get away from the running game too..Ben is getting all these weapons and he's maturing each and every week into a great leader and QB. But we better make damn sure we have a solid running game to compliment him.

That's why I am disappointed about White. Perhaps they have other ideas on how to get reinforcements in the backfield.

I think the running game is going to be limping from time to time this year. Let's just hope is happens against weaker defenses
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 01:09 PM   #7
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa
i like this pick, we drafted him for special teams, so i doubt we'll see much of him on offense. and with drafting holmes i doubt we ever see nate washington, which i don't care cause we got a badass wr in holmes
I never imagined Vince Young and LenDale White wearing the same colors eh Koop. I wouldn't want to see that engine fire on all cylinders...except against the other AFC teams.

Nate made some nice plays with little playing time. I'm thinking Cedric Wilson will be the guy pushed out (after the season) if Holmes gets into the lineup for purely financial reasons.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 04:17 PM   #8
tootalltoscore
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt
That's why I am disappointed about White. Perhaps they have other ideas on how to get reinforcements in the backfield.

I think the running game is going to be limping from time to time this year. Let's just hope is happens against weaker defenses
Well Haiku - no offence meant - sounds like White might be your brother, the way you have gone on about him. He may be great but if the FO had liked him that much they would have traded up to get him. With all the comments about only getting a restricted number of players for the team this year they could have got him, they obviously feel happy with Duce.

Easy with hindsight but we needed Special Team players and a WR - I thought we needed a DE, DT and a top S - but the bottom line is that the last 4 drafts we have got our franchise QB, the top TE, the best safety and finally the top receiver this year, to me it shows the FO really know their business.

I still believe there is no smoke without fire, therefore, White becomes too risky for the Steelers, if we finish 1-15 next year then I will eat humble pie, but I am confident that we have given ourselves a chance to improve our team with these picks.
tootalltoscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 04:20 PM   #9
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

We have drafted too well in the cowher/colbert era for me to question them too much. Sure I would have liked to see a good RB prospect brought in, but if one isnt had today, then they may have some ideas of undrafted rookie FA's to sign after wards. Bottom line, they love willie,duce, and verron..but they also know they need atleast 1 more back in the fold for insurance..so dont worry we'll get one at some point,its just a matter of who and when.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:24 AM   #10
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt
I never imagined Vince Young and LenDale White wearing the same colors eh Koop. I wouldn't want to see that engine fire on all cylinders...except against the other AFC teams.
lol, yeah and that's not the only ut usc connection, huff and bing will be teaming up together with the raiders. funny both ut players where drafted before these usc players, poor guys will always come second to ut lol
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote