Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Pittsburgh Steelers beware, Green Bay has momentum and emotion on its side

pennlive.com
Commentary: Pittsburgh Steelers beware, Green Bay has momentum and emotion on its side
http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports//print.html
Published: Tuesday, January 25, 2011, 8:07 AM
STEFANIE LOH, The Patriot-News By STEFANIE LOH,

Congratulations Steelers, you’re in the Super Bowl.

Again.

And with two weeks to go before the big game in Dallas, Pittsburgh Steelers overhype in the midstate has just begun as Steelers fans salivate at the thought of the Black and Yellow trampling all over the Green Bay Packers to win a seventh Super Bowl.

But don’t count your chickens quite yet.

Even though this will be Pittsburgh’s third trip to the big game in six years, and the Packers’ first since 1997, Green Bay is a 1.5-point favorite to win. And while Pittsburgh has experience and history on its side — the Steelers beat Green Bay 37-36 the last time the teams faced off in 2009 — Green Bay has momentum.

After winning five games in a row and knocking off the Eagles, Falcons and Bears in succession, the Packers are riding high on self-belief and quarterback Aaron Rodgers’ electric play.

Rodgers’ gutsy touchdown-saving tackle of Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher in the third quarter of Sunday’s NFC championship game epitomizes the team’s morale right now — pull out all the stops, offense or defense, every play, every down.

Green Bay made some mistakes against the Bears on Sunday, but kept enough pressure on, and scored touchdowns in the first, second and fourth quarters to edge Chicago 21-14.

Pittsburgh on the other hand, rolled out to a 24-3 start, but did not score at all in the second half of their too-close-for-comfort 24-19 win over the New York Jets. The Steelers (12-4) have done well this year, but they’ve struggled to close out games at times, and have had some close calls.

So the swing factor in the Super Bowl may well come down to the emotional quotient. Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is a seasoned playoff veteran with two Super Bowl rings, and their roster is chock full of players who understand big game pressure and have risen to the occasion before.

Conversely, the last time the Packers were in a Super Bowl, Bill Clinton was in the Oval Office, and Brett Favre was their quarterback. There are guys on Green Bay’s roster — wide receiver Donald Driver and offensive tackle Chad Clifton, for instance — who are making their first trip to the Super Bowl after more than a decade in the league.

But just this once, the Packers’ lack of Super Bowl experience might play in their favor. This team has waited a long, long time for this moment, and their pent-up energy has to be approaching explosion level

So Steeler nation beware: your foe is a hot, hot team with offensive leaders who possess playoff-best statistics in passing, rushing and receiving. These Packers are eager to prove that they have once again fought their way to the top echelon of the NFL.

That kind of motivation can be very, very powerful.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
gbpacker40
Water Boy

Member Number: 17957
Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers beware, Green Bay has momentum and emotion on its side

I really wish we didnt have the title as "Favorites" and honestly, I know we have been hot and all but I dont see the justification on a football field, maybe in the gamblers wallets but the Steelers should be the favorites.
gbpacker40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
Deserei90
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17069
Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers beware, Green Bay has momentum and emotion on its side

It's not like it's something they haven't seen before.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
pennlive.com
Commentary: Pittsburgh Steelers beware, Green Bay has momentum and emotion on its side
http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports//print.html
Published: Tuesday, January 25, 2011, 8:07 AM
STEFANIE LOH, The Patriot-News By STEFANIE LOH,

Congratulations Steelers, you’re in the Super Bowl.

Again.

And with two weeks to go before the big game in Dallas, Pittsburgh Steelers overhype in the midstate has just begun as Steelers fans salivate at the thought of the Black and Yellow trampling all over the Green Bay Packers to win a seventh Super Bowl.

But don’t count your chickens quite yet.

Even though this will be Pittsburgh’s third trip to the big game in six years, and the Packers’ first since 1997, Green Bay is a 1.5-point favorite to win. And while Pittsburgh has experience and history on its side — the Steelers beat Green Bay 37-36 the last time the teams faced off in 2009 — Green Bay has momentum.

After winning five games in a row and knocking off the Eagles, Falcons and Bears in succession, the Packers are riding high on self-belief and quarterback Aaron Rodgers’ electric play.

Rodgers’ gutsy touchdown-saving tackle of Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher in the third quarter of Sunday’s NFC championship game epitomizes the team’s morale right now — pull out all the stops, offense or defense, every play, every down.

Green Bay made some mistakes against the Bears on Sunday, but kept enough pressure on, and scored touchdowns in the first, second and fourth quarters to edge Chicago 21-14.

Pittsburgh on the other hand, rolled out to a 24-3 start, but did not score at all in the second half of their too-close-for-comfort 24-19 win over the New York Jets. The Steelers (12-4) have done well this year, but they’ve struggled to close out games at times, and have had some close calls.

So the swing factor in the Super Bowl may well come down to the emotional quotient. Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is a seasoned playoff veteran with two Super Bowl rings, and their roster is chock full of players who understand big game pressure and have risen to the occasion before.

Conversely, the last time the Packers were in a Super Bowl, Bill Clinton was in the Oval Office, and Brett Favre was their quarterback. There are guys on Green Bay’s roster — wide receiver Donald Driver and offensive tackle Chad Clifton, for instance — who are making their first trip to the Super Bowl after more than a decade in the league.

But just this once, the Packers’ lack of Super Bowl experience might play in their favor. This team has waited a long, long time for this moment, and their pent-up energy has to be approaching explosion level

So Steeler nation beware: your foe is a hot, hot team with offensive leaders who possess playoff-best statistics in passing, rushing and receiving. These Packers are eager to prove that they have once again fought their way to the top echelon of the NFL.

That kind of motivation can be very, very powerful.
I get what the guy is saying, but he cherry picks his 'facts'.

The Packers played more games than anybody in the playoffs, so it stands to reason that they would lead in basically all offensive stats.

I'm curious to know how The Packers have more momentum than the Steelers. Green Bay's offense didn't score during the second half either. I can see Rodgers tackle inspiring the team, but what about the way Ben finished against the Jets. Even though Pittburgh's second half as a whole wasn't the best, they still made plays at the end of the game.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpacker40 View Post
I really wish we didnt have the title as "Favorites" and honestly, I know we have been hot and all but I dont see the justification on a football field, maybe in the gamblers wallets but the Steelers should be the favorites.
"Favourites" are for gamblin' and money does the talkin' - you know that.
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
gbpacker40
Water Boy

I think people look to much into one or even two games sometimes. Teams dont blowout and have perfect games every week, not in this league. Hence both our poorly played second halves last week. I think the Packers momentum is they (players) have played every game do or die for the last 5 weeks and won them all....That in itself has got to be a major confidence boost. I think that is why pundits say that we are so hot. Its more confidence than anything, not saying the Steelers dont have confidence as well, I just think the Packers confidence level and focus right now is unbelievable.

Talent wise I would say its a wash with possible favor going your direction.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

actually, one of the biggest underlying improvements with the Pack has been with their linebackers, maybe not as noticeable but still. Then again, it's no wonder, I mean look who your "Outside Linebackers Coach" is, my man, Kevin Greene from the Steelers back in the day.
:)
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
gbpacker40
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanata-Steeler View Post
actually, one of the biggest underlying improvements with the Pack has been with their linebackers, maybe not as noticeable but still. Then again, it's no wonder, I mean look who your "Outside Linebackers Coach" is, my man, Kevin Greene from the Steelers back in the day.
:)
I agree and as I stated in another thread this happened when we lost Barnett. Our defensive play calling went to Hawk and Bishop replaced Barnett and as a unit our defense has been much more fundamentally sound and cohesive. Not to mention Bishop is much more suited for this defense than Barnett. A big reason our defense is playing better is also the play of Cullen Jenkins and especially Raji, who has been very impressive this year.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #9
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Who cares what some dufus writer has to say. The Steelers have the edge due to playoff and Super Bowl experience. They know how to deal with two weeks of the press drilling them at every turn. I am going to go out on a limb here and say right now that the Packers will come out slow because of the magnitude of the game. When it hits them, if the Steelers take advantage and get a couple score lead, it could be over. Sorry, I don't buy Rogers being able to outduel ben in the big game. Plus he has that SI cover jinx going for him as well.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #10
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,287 Times in 572 Posts

Like I've said before, it's time to stop thinking in terms of trends or "bulletin boards" or who has more mojo, or karma or any of that crap.

It's time for this team and its fans to step up and win simply because we're the best team in the NFL, the best FANS in the NFL and we're SUPPOSED TO WIN.

Look at it this way, do you think that any of the Steeler teams from the 70's cared that some other team may have carried a lucky rabbit's foot or won some game they shouldn't have and were thus on some mission from God?

No.

They just stood there and said we're the best friggin' team that anyone's ever seen and we're here to kick your sorry ass all over the field for sixty minutes so we can take our trophy and leave.

They didn't need any stars to align, they just won because THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO WIN.

Well that's how we need to see ourselves now; WE'RE SUPPOSED TO WIN because we're the best and it doesn't matter what anyone else says or does and that's all there is to it!
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote