Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 04-30-2006, 03:02 PM   #1
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Exclamation Marvin Philip.. Welcome to The Steelers

Marvin Philip
Center
Height: 6-foot-2
Weight: 305 pounds
Class Year: Sr
Experience: 3V
High School: Oak Ridge
Hometown: Cameron Park, CA
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:02 PM   #2
Prosdo
Banned

Default Re: Marvin Philip.. Welcome to The Steelers

Height: 6-1 | Weight: 307 | 40-Time: 5.24
Strengths:
An outstanding technician who has mastered the nuances of the position...Has a motor that never stops...Tough guy who plays to the whistle and finishes his blocks...Very smart and makes all the line calls...Moves pretty well and is very quick...Knows how to use leverage...Makes good use of his hands...A leader.

Weaknesses:
Lacks the ideal size you'd like to see...Really struggles with massive defensive tackles...Doesn't adjust well and is not comfortable in space...Does not get much of a push in the running game and will likely need help...Physical shortcomings will really be amplified at the next level...A little older (24) than the normal prospect.

Notes:
Was a top rugby player in high school...Missed two years of football while on a religious mission before returning in 2003...Doesn't have all the physical tools you look for but he makes up for it with top intangibles and by doing the little things.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...vinphilip.html
Old 04-30-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
Prosdo
Banned

Pros: He is a powerful drive blocker on the inside and has the ability to control a defender the full play. He is very agile and has speed to get outside and pull. He has the intangibles and leadership skills to make it as a pro. He can make all the line calls and shows good awareness for blitzes and stunts. He has natural knee bend and plays with good balance
Cons: Missed time due to a church mission and lost significant weight. His hands are quick and active, though he needs to show more power in his hand punch. He needs to be fundamentally sound with his technique to compensate for marginal size in the pivot.
Numbers: At the Combine he ran a 5.27 in the 40 and did 27 reps. Registered a 27-inch vertical jump and an 8’ broad jump in a fine overall workout.
Skinny: He will be an overage rookie because he took time off for the mission. His lack of size will be the main concern at the pro level and may limit him to being a career backup.

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplay...scoutingreport

Highlight Video http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/prospects?rank_type=10
Old 04-30-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,011 Times in 3,426 Posts

SUMMARY
Philip was a very enjoyable player to grade because he consistently finds a way to eliminate his man from the play through his all-out effort and tremendous effort on every play. Despite being shorter and lighter than the average NFL center, his blocking technique and strength enable him to play strong at the point of attack vs. bull rushers. Much of Philip's success can be attributed to his instincts and smarts -- he does a good job of identifying the defense, communicating with the other linemen to switch off well vs. defensive line stunts/loops and can adjust to delayed blitzes well. He does a good job of getting out of his stance and onto the defensive tackle quickly, keeps his feet running and can tie his man up to keep him from disrupting the play. Overall, Philip is the type of offensive lineman who often gets overlooked because he is undersized and not a good athlete. But when it comes to intangibles and production he is definitely more than good enough. Philip is probably going to be drafted later than he's rated -- if he is drafted at all -- but in a season or two he will bulk up to 310 pounds and will be a solid starting center in the NFL. He will never be a top center, but will be good enough to win with.

CRITICAL FACTORS
Size Play Strength Play Speed Initial Quickness Competes Instincts
4.0 5.5 5.0 6.0 6.0 6.5

STRONG POINTS
Philip is a highly competitive, smart and instinctive center who does a very good job of getting set to block quickly and finds a way to keep his man from impacting/disrupting the play. He has the flexibility to bend his knees, sink hips and pass block with a wide base -- he can stand up power rushers in their tracks. He does a good job of driving defensive tackles down the line of scrimmage on down/side blocks and is surprisingly effective making reach blocks. He does not get his body around and into good position, but makes contact, keeps his feet running and maintains enough contact to tie his man up.

WEAKNESSES
Philip is an undersized center who lacks the good athletic ability to make up for it. He does not have the power to drive his man off the ball on straight ahead run blocks. His lack of athleticism and foot quickness hinder his ability to get through the line of scrimmage to the second level quick enough and he cannot adjust to block a moving target well. He lacks the playing speed to pull and lead block on outside runs. His lack of size and athleticism also hinder his ability to cut off the explosive gap-shooting defensive tackle.

for more:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/philip_marvin
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Practice squad time.....
Old 04-30-2006, 03:06 PM   #6
Volpe1564
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 397

"Cons: Missed time due to a church mission and lost significant weight." i like him already

dont like my politics?? dont voice yours and i will not voice mine
Volpe1564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
Ward86MVP
Water Boy

Member Number: 1998

This was the last pick we could have traded, am I correct? What about T.J. Duckett?
Ward86MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:12 PM   #8
Prosdo
Banned

That's looking like a no go.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:12 PM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward86MVP
What about T.J. Duckett?
I think that was shot out of the water after picking up Jacobs.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-30-2006 at 03:29 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:28 PM   #10
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611

OMG he's from my home town!

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote