Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

View Poll Results: Does BC need to win the big dance ?
Yes, he needs to win atleast 1 before he retires 11 55.00%
No, his record speaks for itself whether he wins a SB or not 6 30.00%
He'll never be Chuck Noll, so who cares 1 5.00%
He needs to win more than 1 for me to validate him 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2005, 11:46 PM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Does Cowher need to win a SB to be validated?

All Steelers fans know that Cowher is a gutsy, determined, players coach,..the longest tenured current coach, and well respected around the league. Playoff wins, AFC champships, a SB appearance, a 15-1 regular season record... and the list goes on and on and on.. but he's still haunted by the fact of not winning the big dance. In some people's eye's that's a scar on an otherwise stellar career to date.

In your opinion, does he need to win atleat 1 super bowl to be validated and take his place among great coaches in NFL history?
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:43 PM   #2
HinesWard4Life8682
Starter

Member Number: 323
Default Re: Does Cowher need to win a SB to be validated?

i think he does cuz if u look at the teams he had in a past, they were all championship caliber teams except the 2004 season
Old 05-04-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

If he doesnt win the big one, he'll still go down as a GREAT coach, but it will definately be asterisk beside his name in most peoples views.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:07 PM   #4
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I think he already is validated.He's a 1st ballot HOFer with or without the ring.

However,without the ring he'll never be known as a "great" coach.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:18 PM   #5
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

He doesn't need to, but he is on the same level as Schott's, Dungy, and Levy. Well respected, successful coaches. To get to the next level and slam the door, he could win one like Gruden, Seiffert, Holmgren, Billick(ow, hurts to write). This of course is not in my book because I love that he is our coach, but if he leaves being the most successful coach in the Pro Bowl not the Super Bowl, many in the sports world outside the 3 rivers will question. I still feel that his record of years in the playoffs exceeds his losses in the championship games.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:44 AM   #6
ChristopherRoss1
Water Boy

Member Number: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
All Steelers fans know that Cowher is a gutsy, determined, players coach,..the longest tenured current coach, and well respected around the league. Playoff wins, AFC champships, a SB appearance, a 15-1 regular season record... and the list goes on and on and on.. but he's still haunted by the fact of not winning the big dance. In some people's eye's that's a scar on an otherwise stellar career to date.

In your opinion, does he need to win atleat 1 super bowl to be validated and take his place among great coaches in NFL history?
Validated? He needs to win a SB in order to be forgiven.
ChristopherRoss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:24 AM   #7
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

forgiven? For - what? I can't tell you how glad I am we never had a 1-15 season under Cowher. He always makes us competitive and doesn't cave into prima dona players who think they run the team. Yeah he lost one super bowl and a few championship games. Now there are around 26 coaches in the league(plus their owners) who might want to be in that situation. Plus he has been picking up a check every week for 12 years. Float me in the middle, he doesn't need validation, and he sure doesn't need to be forgiven.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:08 PM   #8
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Nice Poll!........and a good thread. Doesn't look like we have as many Cowher haters as some other "Steeler forums" (spelling may vary). I am interested to see how the poll turns out.......I am very gratefull to have Cowher as our coach the last dozen or more seasons. I think he is a great coach, and even a better motivator. I also think his image, intensity, and game plan are perfect for the city of Pittsburgh. Most players love to play for him, and many wish they could......Sure, I wish we would have won a Superbowl or two in the last decade, but it didn't happen, and I still beleive that there is a Lombardi Trophey in the future for Cowher and the fans of Pittsburgh.

The teams of the 70's spoiled Steeler fans, and distorted reality.......you can't always win the Superbowl. Jeff Fisher has been with the Titans one year less than Cowher, with similar results. He has been so close to winning the Superbowl, and has had many playoff losses. Most Titans fans love Fisher and would not trade him for anyone. Support your coach, he is a pretty good one. I bet fans of Arizona, Detroit and Cincy would love to have Cowher as their coach, and would be very thankfull to be as successfull as the Steelers have been.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:55 PM   #9
ChristopherRoss1
Water Boy

Member Number: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcitychef
forgiven? For - what? I can't tell you how glad I am we never had a 1-15 season under Cowher. He always makes us competitive and doesn't cave into prima dona players who think they run the team. Yeah he lost one super bowl and a few championship games. Now there are around 26 coaches in the league(plus their owners) who might want to be in that situation. Plus he has been picking up a check every week for 12 years. Float me in the middle, he doesn't need validation, and he sure doesn't need to be forgiven.
If merely being competetive is enough for you, then Cowher's your boy.

It isn't enough for me.
ChristopherRoss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:00 PM   #10
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherRoss1
If merely being competetive is enough for you, then Cowher's your boy.

It isn't enough for me.
If you're not competitive,then your a shit team like the Browns,Cardinals,Bears,or Lions.

I would rather lose the AFCC Game every year then not even sniff the playoffs.At least we have hope,those teams right now don't.

Hell,to reach the AFCC and win the division as many times as he did with Kordell at QB is amazing.

But don't worry,Cowher will win a SB this year and get the monkey off of his back.Hell,if it wasn't for Neil O'Donnel,he'd have a ring.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote