Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 01-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Titans, Jeff Fisher parting ways

Titans, Jeff Fisher parting ways

By Don Banks, SI.com

In an unexpected development in what already has been a turbulent offseason in Tennessee, the Titans and Jeff Fisher, the NFL's longest-tenured head coach, are preparing to part ways, SI.com learned Thursday afternoon.

According to an NFL source close to the situation in Tennessee, the move could be announced as early as Friday, although it's uncertain if Fisher's departure will be termed a firing, a resignation or a mutual parting of ways.

Though information about Fisher's situation was scarce Thursday, it was confirmed by a league source that he will not return to coach the team in 2011, contrary to what was previously expected. Fisher was said to be in the process of negotiating the terms of his departure with Titans owner Bud Adams.

According to a league source, only Adams, Fisher, Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt and team general counsel Steve Underwood were aware of the finer details of Fisher's imminent departure early Thursday evening. Members of the Titans front office could not be reached for comment Thursday, but SI.com was in contact with a member of the Titans public relations staff, who could not confirm the news.

Fisher has been on the job with the Houston/Tennessee organization since being named interim head coach late in the 1994 season, and he was expected to return for a 17th season full season this year. But Fisher's future with the team was considered somewhat tenuous given that he was entering the final year of his contract, and Adams did not decide to retain him until Jan. 7, five days after Tennessee closed out a disappointing 6-10 season -- the Titans' worst since 2005.

In choosing to keep Fisher and release fifth-year starting quarterback Vince Young, Adams had seemingly settled the protracted stand-off that had existed between Fisher and Young since late November, when the two had a very heated argument in the Titans' post-game locker room following a home loss to Washington.

While it's not known what prompted the change regarding Fisher's status in Tennessee, league sources say Fisher was not happy to lose a pair of his longtime defensive coaches last week. Fisher fired defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil, one of his closest friends, and saw well-respected Titans defensive line coach Jim Washburn accept a similar position on Andy Reid's staff in Philadelphia. Given that he just one year of security to offer any potential coaching replacements, it was thought that Fisher's task of filling those roles would be difficult.

The Titans started promisingly in 2010, going 5-2 and fielding the league's second-highest scoring offense behind the Patriots through seven weeks of the regular season. But Tennessee lost eight of its final nine games, suffered through the Young-Fisher controversy, and endured the news that offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger was diagnosed with cancer.

The Titans missed the playoffs in each of Fisher's last two seasons, going 8-8 in 2009 after an 0-6 start. Tennessee's last playoff trip came in 2008, but the No. 1 seeded Titans wasted their 13-3 regular season when they lost at home to No. 6-seeded Baltimore in the AFC divisional round. Tennessee is the only team in the NFL to have a losing streak of at least six games in both of the past two seasons. (The curse of the Terrible Towel strikes again. - mesa)

Fisher was the NFL's youngest head coach at 36 when he was promoted from Oilers defensive coordinator to interim head coach in mid-November 1994, replacing the fired Jack Pardee. He was named the franchise's full time head coach in early January 1995, and went 142-120 (.542) in his 16-plus regular seasons with the Oilers/Titans. But Fisher was just 5-6 in the playoffs, with one Super Bowl trip (1999), four division titles and six postseason berths over that span. Three of Fisher's five postseason wins came during Tennessee's 1999 Super Bowl run -- they lost that game to St. Louis, 23-16 -- and the Titans have not won a playoff game since winning at Baltimore in the first round of the 2003 postseason.

While speculation swirled around the Fisher and Young drama earlier this offseason, Fisher repeatedly said he hoped to finish his coaching career in Tennessee. Fisher, who will be 53 late next month, was under contract for $6.5 million in 2011, and had been in his job more than four full seasons longer than the NFL's next most-tenured head coach, Philadelphia's Andy Reid.

Find this article at:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...her/index.html

(Dear Titans, Please hire Bruce Arians as you new head coach. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,113 Times in 3,201 Posts
Default Re: Titans, Jeff Fisher parting ways

An early competitor for Cowher with regard to the HC openings after next season

Typically odd decision by Bud Adams to fire Fisher after several HC candidates have been hired elsewhere
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
SeinfeldNut
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
An early competitor for Cowher with regard to the HC openings after next season

Typically odd decision by Bud Adams to fire Fisher after several HC candidates have been hired elsewhere
Yeah I think the Titans and if Kubiak fails in Houston next season, the Texans will also be in the mix for Cowher. Wonder where Fisher lands?

Class, Integrity, Character
SeinfeldNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

It's official.

I guess the owner picked Vince Young over Fisher.

That's a slap in the face.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
It's official.

I guess the owner picked Vince Young over Fisher.

That's a slap in the face.
I think he chose neither.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
Fire Haley
Banned

I predict the 'Cowher to the Titans' rumors are on their way

I said it first
Old 01-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
I think he chose neither.
NFL Network agrees with you - Titans are blowing it up

Peyton Manning is great, but if you want to get to the playoffs every year it helps to not have a rival division power to deal with every year (e.g. - Steelers & Ravens tearing at each other every year in the AFC North)

Titans did it with smoke & mirrors in 2008 but after Indy that is one screwed up division
Old 01-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

That was unexpected. Cowher wont go there, he wants a lot of power and thats something I don't see the Titans giving him.

Where will Fisher go though, I think every head coaching job is filled already, maybe he'll take a couple years off or retire, which I doubt.

"To win a game, first you have to not lose the game" - John Madden
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
Fire Haley
Banned

I wonder how many teams now have buyers remorse on their new current coaches after Fisher hit the market
Old 01-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
That was unexpected. Cowher wont go there, he wants a lot of power and thats something I don't see the Titans giving him.

Where will Fisher go though, I think every head coaching job is filled already, maybe he'll take a couple years off or retire, which I doubt.
He will be back and gets paid for the last year on his Titans contract unless he agreed to take less and be allowed to walk away to chill for a year