Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 02:35 AM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Where's the Cash?

In order to pay upcoming free agents each year, some pricey players are supposed to retire or we are supposed to be disloyal and cut some pricey players.

A small amount of money will come from the inflation of the cap (it goes up each year) but after that, we can't create money out of thin air.

We probably need Ward to retire. As great as he is (and I think he will have a kick ass Super Bowl), we can't afford to pay nearly 6 million a year for those slow over the middle catches. We need to take that money and give it to Woodley. We need to put Brown in his place.

We gain a little money by releasing Reed. Maybe some that money can be used to give Ike Taylor a salary raise and keep him.

Surprisingly Aaron Smith and James Farrior both make less than 3 million per year each. I was thinking more money could come from those spots should either want out but I guess not.

Whatever it is Willie Colon wants, we won't be able to afford so we can save his 2.2 million and let Adams play for another year while we search for a young cheap replacement.

This team will implode one day...too many rising stars. Wallace was only under a 3 year contract. We can't afford to pay Wallace(final year), Timmons(final year), Troy (final year), Ike (FA), Woodley (FA), Gay (FA), Essex (FA) Dixon (RFA) without more oldies but goodies retiring.

ETA: We definitely definitely would not have been able to afford Holmes.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
SteelKnight
Team President

Default Re: Where's the Cash?

We will be strapped for cash. While it is traditional to do contracts one year in advance so players don't hit free agency, you also lose the ability to let them play for dirt cheap one additional year saving money. Sometimes you can save so much money you can afford to give them a 1 million dollar salary increase each year.

I believe Wallace, and Timmons will have to wait and the Steelers will try to do their contracts immediately after the 2011 season ...not this summer. I do believe they will try to take care of Troy this summer. So this offseason will be Woodley, Ike, Troy and if Gay and Essex want to come for cheap, they will try, otherwise, good bye. Dixon, IDK...probably will offer RFA tender just to try to trade him.

If Ward doesn't retire after this season then he had better after next season. We need the cash (it might go directly to Wallace if it is after 2011).

ETA: Oh yeah...I forgot. The trick they can play on Wallace to screw him over for 1 additional year is that he will be a RFA so they can just tender him for a year for some low amount. They could do that while they work out a contract. So no worries.

Last edited by SteelKnight; 01-28-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
SteelKnight
Team President

The Steelers' run defense has actually improved since Ziggy Hood took over for an injured Aaron Smith at left defensive end in Week 8.
Smith has a reputation as the league's best 3-4 end against the run, but the stats suggest Hood has been just as good. The Steelers allowed 63.8 rushing yards per game with Smith starting versus 62.1 per game with Hood. The 2009 first-rounder is yet another draft "hit" for a franchise that rarely swings and misses.

Translation= we can't afford Aaron Smith. He makes 4.5 million next year. Too bad he won't just retire.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

You worry too much...I read the first post, but not the rest. I don't need to.

The Steelers FO will figure it out, as they always do. They will not be "imploding". They will keep a few vets around, pay the young guys what they deserve and when their contracts get too big, they will let them go and the younger talent in the shadows will step up. It's the way it's been ever since I can remember. No need to panic about it now.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 01-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Our recievers are just not good enough yet to let Ward go. Possible cuts on the Defense Smith, Farrior, Clark.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

Well if the team needs it,I have an extra 28 million I dont need,anyone else???
Old 01-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Cut Clark at 2.5mill a year? Not happening.

Ike and Wooldey need to be resigned, and they will have plenty of money to do it, once the cba is done.

If rotoworld is correct, http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clu...FL&majteam=PIT

Hines contract is for 3mill in 2011 and 4 million in 2012.

Smith is at 4.5million
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...ort=NFL&id=642

Smith would not be back at 4.5 when we have ziggy holding it down plenty fine. Once the CBA is done, the cap will climb a good percentage. TV contracts are through the roof on the re-ups.

Farrior is not done yet, at 2.835 for 11 and 12, he isn't going any place.

Foote should be gone we have backups for him, plus Timmons plays most downs anyway

Randel should be gone

Between Randel el foote and smith thats 10million savings. Your only keeping 3 qbs, so some one goes there is savings there too.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
Well if the team needs it,I have an extra 28 million I dont need,anyone else???
Hell yeah.......reach me at......poor@myassisbroke.com

Might as well dress em in skirts!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Implosions come from poor contract strategy. The Steelers are notorious for not deviating from their strategy which has worked for 40 years (reference the Lombardi trophies, conference championships, divisional championships, and total asswhipping the Steelers have put on the rest of the NFL). There will be no implosion. You may see a good player leave for more money than the Steelers are willing to pay, but you won't see a mass exodus. Besides, most good players will provide a little discount to the Steelers because it is one of the best places to play (and win). And don't talk about Colon's contract ... that guy may never see the field again. I wouldn't pay him a huge contract and any teams he may turn to for big money are a bunch of losers.

Come on man, one benefit of being a Steelers fan is not having to worry about the long term success of the team.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,015 Posts

now were getting into some "big boy" talk.

you cant start a sky is falling thread w/o including some fundamental and basic elements.

i take it you have never really studies capology, or in particular the steelers specific situation.

this conversation goes nowhere without knowing-

1) steelers self imposed salary for '10- $132 mil
2) what the salary cap will likely be in '11 if there is one- $142 mil (this is my best conservative educated guess. likely to be higher.
3) how much $$$ is tied up in contracts for '11 (and beyond) - $100 mil.

we are gonna easilly have $42- $45 mil to play with. we are gonna be fine. we havent been one of the most successful franchises in the salary cap era for nothing.