Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 04-30-2006, 08:21 PM   #11
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305
Default Re: To all you haters...

since we won a superbowl, hard to really argue with taking Troy.. i wanted Johnson myself and thought he would be perfect for us and would be a ton. Maybe this pick with Holmes will benifit us more than taking White.... BUT fact is .. Troy has 1 Superbowl ring and Johnson 0 so hard to really argue that now.
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 08:22 PM   #12
Hines Alou
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1374

1) Its not just on here, other forums people are bashing on the draft
2) Id take Polamalu over Larry Johnson in a heartbeat, and thats not because hes a steeler. Safetys are becoming the most important position in football
Hines Alou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 08:26 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,830 Times in 3,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Alou
2) Id take Polamalu over Larry Johnson in a heartbeat, and thats not because hes a steeler. Safetys are becoming the most important position in football
safeties are still 6th or 7th on the pecking order. qb, lt, and de rushing off the right side will always be in the top 3 of importance. safeties are one of the lowest paid positions for a reason.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 08:28 PM   #14
Hines Alou
Draft Prospect

I disagree. They are becoming more and more important and its beginning to show, even in this draft.

And I dont think its fair to say that its easier to get a safety like polamalu compared to getting a RB like Larry Johnson. Larry had an unreal season last year, and will have many more in the future, but I still dont think you can compare easily. Coming from a cinci fan, I can see how youre thinking offense, but like they say, defense wins championships ;) (wow, that was terrible)

Last edited by Hines Alou; 04-30-2006 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:26 PM   #15
BigBen2WardPITT
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 551

Quote:
To all the people who didn't like the way the Steelers drafted this year, stop. Have faith/trust in your team. They know what theyre doing. Im pretty sure theyve got a good track record since cowhers been here. Of course there will be those busts, but cmon now, The Steelers have been the best drafting team the last 6 or 7 years.

I think theres something about that runningback position. Back when we drafted Polamalu, so many people wanted us to get Larry Johnson. We traded up, got our man Troy, and the chiefs got Larry. I remember looking at message boards and seeing people bitching over the fact we didnt get our runningback, but look at it now. Although Larry has proven to be dominant this past year, Polamalu was one of the (if not the) most important player to our Super Bowl team this year. LenDale White may have been a good fit for our team, but to me, and obviously to the steeler team, they wanted to bank on a WR and got their man Santonio Holmes. They fell in love with him, traded up to make sure they got him, and now hes a steeler. Live with it, love it. We all love the best team in the world, and have to trust in who they take. Theres my rant.

Say this as much as you want, but do you remember year after year, when, yes, we won our division, but the browns and bengals sucked and the ravens were on and off, then we would always lose in the playoffs. WHY WERE WE LOSING? Because we did not DRAFT (or sign) a QB. Cowher had faith in kordell, and kept him around way too long. This was one of Cowher's biggest mistakes so you can say we draft well, sure, but Cowher seems to avoid some of our biggest needs. yes we covered WR, but we are a RUN FIRST team, and Staley is just a mystery.

Some people say Willie has 1200 yards, yes he did. However, without Bettis there last year, that would not of happened.
BigBen2WardPITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:46 PM   #16
Hines Alou
Draft Prospect

Are you saying Willie wouldnt have gotten 1200 without bettis because of Bettis playing, or his mentoring. If its the way Bettis taught him, you may be right, but you dont know. If its bettis's production on the field, your completely wrong. Im not even a huge Willie fan, but the fact of the matter is, he got the job done this year. If your gonna give Willies credit to anyone but him, give it to our unbelievable offensive line. Willie had a 4.7 YPC average, which is fantastic

and whats wrong in believing in kordell when he got to two AFC Championship games in 4-5 years? To me, thats not bad at all.

People seem to think kordell was here for like 15 years under center. Thats not it at all. Do you realize that with most quarterbacks, you need to get used to the NFL ways and play a little (usually) before becoming dominant/good. In 97 kordell played pretty well, and the next three years he was pretty average, but there werent QB's in the draft that jumped out at people. They made a mistake taking troy edwards in 99, but in 98 they took faneca, 00 was burress, 01 was hampton, 02 was simmons. Give me non-sleeper quarterbacks that we should have drafted and gotten rid of Kordell, because there are none. How were the Steelers supposed to know players like Tom Brady would come about...nobody expected that. Cowher and the organization saw potential in kordell, and kordell did even prove his potential in 2001 when he took us to the AFC Championship and made the pro bowl, it just didnt pan out and he wasnt a franchise type QB that they thought.

The Steelers are lucky with Ben. It doesnt occur very often that a QB like him comes along (obviously). Cowher definately does not avoid our biggest needs. Each year he takes what we need, and usually the players are great.

Last edited by Hines Alou; 04-30-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:53 PM   #17
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

Quote:

Man, oh, man, are the Steelers thanking their lucky stars they didnt end up with a stiff like Larry Johnson
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:55 PM   #18
Hines Alou
Draft Prospect

I just said I would take Polamalu over him in a heartbeat, not that Larry Johnson is a "stiff".
Old 04-30-2006, 09:58 PM   #19
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

The Bengals suck.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:21 PM   #20
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156
Unhappy Re: To all you haters...

Dude! Chill! This is a "F O R U M" where we are able to express our opinions. The last time I checked (approx 23.2785 seconds ago), a forum is defined as:
fo?rum
1. The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
2. A public meeting place for open discussion.
3. A medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper or a radio or television program.
2. A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience participation.
3. A court of law; a tribunal.

Now, I could get into the entire patriotic spiel over this country being founded upon the basis of freedom of speech and the liberty of independent thought, how many of our sons, daughters, fathers, mothers, uncles, etc have gievn the ultimate to guarantee these rights, but this is not the place.

I, for one, have not completely agreed with the entire drafting sequence. But overall, I am quite ecstatic over the results. We did what we came to do, which is the Steelers way. And it is true that Bill has stuck by the side of some players for a tad too long at times. But if we cannot voice our opinions or express our concerns on a forum that is built just for that purpose without the fear of retribution from other "fans" then why are we even on here?

I have supported the Steelers for most of my forty years of life (since I knew what football was). It has not always been easy either. I grew up in Texas, in the middle of Oilers country. What was not an Oilers fan was a Cowboys fan.....and then there was me. I have followed them as best I could over the years, even when stationed overseas, and yes even in a combat zone (Desert Shield/Storm, Mogadishu, Somalia, the Philippine Coup d'etat of '89, the NPA assassinations of 88/89/90 (Philippines), or 8 deployments to the Arabian Gulf (twice for OP: Iraqi Freedom) .

If I have offended you in any way by my posts in an earlier column....then take your sensitive button off! ...do not read them. I believe that, as long as I am not intruding upon someone else, I have earned the right to voice my opinion in any shape, form or fashion.

Last edited by SteelShooter; 04-30-2006 at 11:24 PM.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote