Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers' secondary looking for respect

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_720217.html

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Steelers' secondary looking for respect

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, January 28, 2011

A secondary that helped the Steelers record their most interceptions since 1996 and finish in the top half of the league in pass defense can hardly be described as under siege.

Just don't tell that to cornerback Ike Taylor. Or free safety Ryan Clark.

Taylor took issue with what he perceived were shots at the Steelers secondary earlier this week. Clark later weighed in on the unit that will be on the spot Feb. 6 in Super Bowl XLV when it tries to slow down Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers and his deep receiving corps. That's the same quarterback who torched the Steelers defense for 383 yards passing and three touchdowns in a 37-36 loss last year at Heinz Field.

"I'm done being disrespected. I'm done even caring. It's my second Super Bowl with this defense and the exact same guys minus Deshea (Townsend)," Clark said. "Maybe the other six or seven (defensive players) on the field with us are that much better than everyone else that they can overcome us being so terrible.

"Or maybe we're all right."

The Steelers allowed the fewest pass plays of 20 or more yards this season (35), and the secondary accounted for 14 of the team's 21 interceptions.

A couple of weeks ago they suffocated the Ravens' aerial attack, allowing 36 yards to Baltimore's wideouts in an AFC divisional playoff game. Clark, meanwhile, keyed the 31-24 victory with a forced fumble and interception that allowed the Steelers to erase a 14-point halftime deficit.

Yet what drew the attention of the Steelers defensive backs were postgame write-ups that pointed out All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu missing a tackle on Ray Rice's 14-yard touchdown run.

"It wasn't the linebackers missing a tackle. It was Troy missing a tackle," Taylor said. "As secondary players, we always say we're the last line of defense. Regardless of what the front seven do, we're going to always get ridiculed."

That is among the occupational hazards. Having skin thicker than armor is as much a prerequisite for playing defensive back as speed and athleticism.

That reality was reinforced here last season when the Steelers' secondary was scorched during and after a stunning 27-24 loss to the lowly Oakland Raiders at Heinz Field.

Clark fired back at reporters a couple of weeks later, calling them "turds."

One of the most talkative Steelers, Clark may also be the perfect spokesman for a secondary that sometimes feels unappreciated outside of team headquarters.

Clark went undrafted out of LSU and is playing for this third NFL team.

He is also playing alongside one of the best safeties in the NFL for a second time, having done so with the late Sean Taylor in Washington in 2004-05.

"He likes to be the underdog, the forgotten guy, the red-headed stepchild, that whatever you want to call him," Steelers defensive backs coach Ray Horton said of Clark. "He's a guy with a lot of pride. We know how good he is. I guess he's kind of, 'Hey, there's another guy here that can also play.' "

The Steelers are aware that the same is true of Rodgers.

Clark has lavished praise on Rodgers this week, calling Brett Favre's successor the hottest quarterback in the postseason.

But he and Taylor also have made it clear the Steelers don't exactly have Mo, Larry and Curly playing with Polamalu in their defensive backfield.

They'll get a chance to prove their worth on one of the biggest stages.

The Packers threw the ball 56.2 percent of the time during the regular season. They figure to go to the air early and often against a defense on which it is nearly impossible to run.

"We told our guys, 'Don't make any mistakes about it. This is a throwing team,' " Horton said. "The challenge goes right to those (secondary) guys, and I'll take them against anybody."

So will Clark.

"Right now this group of individuals can say they've started two Super Bowls, some three Super Bowls together," he said. "Go around the league and poll how many secondaries have done that. There's not going to be many, if any, that can say that, so I think we're doing all right."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Steelers' secondary looking for respect - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1CL9uf4Lr
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Steelers' secondary looking for respect

you don't get respect until you earn respect, so if the Steelers secondary doesn't feel respected I say go out there on Superbowl Sunday and take it...with every pass play. Make Rodgers think two, three, even four times before he throws the ball, that should be enough time for the front 7 to steal his championship belt

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
Packerstud
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17932

You'll have to wait until next season for the respect. As your secondary is going to get lit up like a Christmas tree on 5th Av
Old 01-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
LegendSteel
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerstud View Post
You'll have to wait until next season for the respect. As your secondary is going to get lit up like a Christmas tree on 5th Av
Yadda yadda yadda.
LegendSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts

it hink aaron rodgers ass is gonna get lit up like a christmas tree on 5th ave.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cheerful

Did you guys happen to watch Playbook on NFLN tonight.. They called Ben a statue...lmao You gotta be effin' kidding me.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts

Clark's never gotten the respect he deserves. That guy delivers, and he has for the Steelers and the Redskins. Polamalu get's all the credit (he is something else), but Clark is as good as it gets at his position.

Taylor will never get much respect either, the guy just doesn't make the interceptions like other cb's around the league do. Gay is to unknown for the media to even mention.

Pittsburgh players don't need respect from the national media, let that go to the big stat guys.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
acidburn517
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12879

Quote:
“We’re just going to give up… They’re better than us at every position. So we decided to go to Dallas and buy the tickets and sit in the stands and watch them scrimmage. So, that way, the two best teams [will play].”
Steelers safety Ryan Clark joked Wednesday about being the underdogs
I saw this on tumblr. It was from another article about the secondary not getting respect. I thought Ryan was being pretty funny.
acidburn517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cheerful

They also said tonight that Troy couldn't hang with Jones and he would win that battle all night... wtf??

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
steelcityboyz
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11344
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerstud View Post
I think I remember Ravens and Jets fans talking the same shit. Maybe you will get bit in the ass too.