Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Sharing Steelers games with loved ones truly a super experience

Sharing Steelers games with loved ones truly a super experience
http://www.yoursewickley.com/sewickl...per-experience
by Joanne Barron Staff Writer
January 27, 2011

There are two kinds of people in the world those who watch Pittsburgh Steelers football religiously and those who "hop on the bandwagon" only after the Steelers are in the playoffs.

My husband Jim is the first, and I'm the second.

There have been plenty of times when I've sat on the couch with Jim and watched the game. I know some of the players' names. I get upset when the referees make a bad call. I cheer when they score and say, "Oh man," when the other team scores.

But, my whole day is not ruined if they lose, and there have been many times when I spent a few hours at the gym and watched a movie while I ran on the treadmill instead of watching the game.

Believe it or not, though, there are some who are worse than me. When the Steelers played the Baltimore Ravens, we watched the game at my in- laws' home in Monessen. We ate dinner on little tables in the living room so everyone could watch the game, and my husband's birthday cake even had black and gold ribbons on top.

At my request, my stepdaughters wore Steeler shirts. At one point, Marisa, 15, who usually reads a book when the Steelers play, put her hand over her heart and exclaimed, "I'm so nervous!"

As she was cheering on "her boy," Emmanuel Sanders, suddenly she spotted Antonio Brown.

"Wait, who's that? He's cute," she said, then and there proclaiming him as her future husband.

The youngest, Megan, 11, who usually watches the Disney Channel, was coloring, but she took the time to make a Steelers' sign, put yellow ribbons in her hair and jump around the living room, cheer and clap when the Steelers scored.

Later when we asked her to name some of the players, she could only think of two, one who is no longer on the team.

My daughter, Madison, haphazardly watched the game while texting but was very happy when the Steelers won. She made us all laugh by imitating Hines Ward, when he was shown in slow motion, waving his arms and saying, "That's what I'm talking about."

Toni, Jim's sister, who is more of a Steelers fan than me, brought yellow pom poms. I thought that was impressive until I saw that they were actually Pittsburgh Pirates pom poms. But, they still served the purpose.

Debbie, Jim's youngest sister and an avid fan, had a Steelers stuffed bear, which she put in the corner when the Steelers were losing. The Steelers began to score, and we weren't allowed to move the bear.

Even "Nana," Jim's mother, got in on the act. Usually she's very quiet, but at one point during the game when the other coach, John Harbaugh, was yelling, she shouted out, "Oh, go sit down, hard ball!"

Jim's dad, who was disgusted by the end of the first half, pronounced that the Steelers were going to lose. He got booed by the others in the room when, at the end of the game, he said, "I knew they could do it. You guys thought they were going to lose!"

For me, I don't think it matters if you're a diehard or hop-on-the-bandwagon fan. Watching the Steelers even if it's only during the playoffs to share a laugh or two and celebrate with loved ones is what it's all about.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote