Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,084 Times in 2,801 Posts
Default Barely Lifting a Finger to Get Super Bowl Rings

Not every player with multiple Super Bowl rings is a superstar like Ben Roethlisberger or Tom Brady. If the Pittsburgh Steelers win Super Bowl XLV, quarterback Charlie Batch will receive his third Super Bowl ring. Batch did his part this season, helping win two games during Roethlisberger’s suspension, but three Super Bowl rings would be hefty compensation for 184 passes scattered across nine years.

Batch is not the first N.F.L. player to receive a lot of hardware for a little bit of work. Here is a far-from-complete list of individuals who earned at least two Super Bowl rings while contributing little to the winning cause. Some were starters, others were hangers-on and a few were good for a few seasons. All shared one great gift: a knack for being in the right place at the right time, and staying there.

Three Rings: Dynasty Darlings

ROY GERELA With nine Hall of Famers in the starting lineup, the 1970s Steelers did not have to worry about their kicking game. Gerela missed more than half of his attempts in 1978, but the Steelers went 14-2 and won the Super Bowl. Gerela converted two of six field-goal attempts in his three Super Bowl appearances; at least the bar for Shaun Suisham is not set high.
-

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2.../?ref=football

Gerela was awful in his later years - I cannot recall him ever making a crucial kick in the playoffs; his greatest contribution in Super Bowls was being taunted by Cliff Harris in Super Bowl X, which resulted in Lambert tossing Harris to the ground and firing up the team - Noll finally cut him after 1978
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860
Default Re: Barely Lifting a Finger to Get Super Bowl Rings

All I gotta say is im glad he was there when we needed him!!!
Old 01-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
El Nino
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17899

he still has a big responsibility, he has to be the man if ben goes down. even if he hasn't played in many games you can bet your ass he's putting in work in practice. he earned those rings. i find the article to be a little disrespectful to charlie imo.
El Nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,084 Times in 2,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
he still has a big responsibility, he has to be the man if ben goes down. even if he hasn't played in many games you can bet your ass he's putting in work in practice. he earned those rings. i find the article to be a little disrespectful to charlie imo.
Tomlin seems to share the disrespect - for reasons unclear to me, Tomlin never gave Batch a chance to compete for the starting QB job for the first 4 games in camp and, after Batch stepped up following Dixon's injury, then made Batch the #3 QB and reinstated Leftwich as the back-up when Ben returned
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Tomlin seems to share the disrespect - for reasons unclear to me, Tomlin never gave Batch a chance to compete for the starting QB job for the first 4 games in camp and, after Batch stepped up following Dixon's injury, then made Batch the #3 QB and reinstated Leftwich as the back-up when Ben returned
You do realize that Batch's fate was all but decided before the season started, but a series of improbable events allowed Batch to not only keep a spot on the roster, but survive a forced retirement. Batch really proved his worth and IMO, it's not fair that he wasn't given a fair shake given his long-tenured, veteran status on the team. But since when has the NFL ever been fair? Farve, Warner, and others aside, this is a young man's league.

That having been said, Batch has been helpful to the team on levels that transcend actual play and IMO deserves any ring he gets.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

I have nothing against Batch and don't mean to disrespect him but I agree with the author.

Batch shouldn't have a ring, much less 2 or 3. Players making the roster who don't play in the Superbowl whatever the reason is should receive a medal but SB rings should be reserved to the players who actually played in the SB and won it.

I wouldn't give rings to the members of the staff either. Coaches of athletes winning a gold medal at the Olympics don't get a gold medal.

This is my opinion. Fire back.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Having certain people on the roster gives the team its comfort zone, and allows the team to formulate its plans and move forward, even if the players in question never even suit up (which Batch most certainly did do). They did enough and showed enough to earn a roster spot, which makes them a member of the team. Team members deserve a ring.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
sacredgrooves
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 10495

Batch with three rings should make him a first ballot hof'er right? :)
sacredgrooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
I have nothing against Batch and don't mean to disrespect him but I agree with the author.

Batch shouldn't have a ring, much less 2 or 3. Players making the roster who don't play in the Superbowl whatever the reason is should receive a medal but SB rings should be reserved to the players who actually played in the SB and won it.

I wouldn't give rings to the members of the staff either. Coaches of athletes winning a gold medal at the Olympics don't get a gold medal.

This is my opinion. Fire back.
Wrong. Olympics are mostly individual sports. I'm pretty sure a coach of a team sport like hockey gets a medal. Football is the ultimate team sport. Your coaching arguement aside, absolutely backups should get a Super Bowl ring. Pouncey shouldn't get a ring if he doesn't play? Batch won 2 games this year. He shouldn't get a ring? Without 1 of those wins, we likely aren't in this spot. We would have been a wildcard and on the road throughout the playoffs.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #10
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497

Batch saved our season and Batch is always there giving pointers to Ben.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote