Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default CRI workers have great time making “terrible” towels

CRI workers have great time making “terrible” towels
A Chippewa Falls nonprofit that employs people with disabilities is getting big business from all the Super Bowl hype.
http://www.superiortelegram.com/even...86/group/News/
By: Rich Kremer, Wisconsin Public Radio, Superior Telegram

A Chippewa Falls nonprofit that employs people with disabilities is getting big business from all the Super Bowl hype. The organization is tasked with making hundreds of thousands of towels for both Steelers and Packers fans.

On the factory floor at Chippewa River Industries (CRI) nearly 20 people stand next to waist high industrial irons. With each spurt and spit an image of the “Terrible Towel” design is melted to a patch of terry cloth. But no matter which team is crowned Super Bowl Champion, Chippewa River Industries will benefit.

CEO Dave Lemanski says they’re already making more than 100,000 “Terrible Towels” for the Steelers and they just got word they’ll be making “Title Towels” for the Packers. But Lemanski says the goal at CRI isn’t just to make towels.

“Our mission is all about helping people live as independent lives as they can in their communities. So, part of living independently is employment.”

There are currently 50 clients working on the towel projects. One of them is T.J. Lane. She’s a Packers fan but still takes pride in making the “Terrible Towels”.

“It’s fun because we get to see the towels on TV and it’s neat to see our product in stores that someone can go buy.”

Larry Booth has worked at CRI for seven years and says he still loves every day of it.

“Well, it gives me something to do, it gives me extra money and I’m not sitting around home doing nothing. So, it keeps me busy.”

Per its inventor’s wishes, a portion of the proceeds from the Steelers’ “Terrible Towels” will go to the Allegheny School for People with Disabilities in Pennsylvania.

Chippewa River Industries contracts with Macarthur Towel and Sports Designs of Baraboo to produce the Super Bowl memorabilia for both teams.

(
Quote:
A Chippewa Falls nonprofit that employs people with disabilities
- Cope would be pleased. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019
Default Re: CRI workers have great time making “terrible” towels

Title Towels?? Gayy
Old 01-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
BengalDestroyer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16598

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
Title Towels?? Gayy
truly...
Old 01-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Curdoisseur
Water Boy

Member Number: 17935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
Title Towels?? Gayy
LMAO.

Yes - and "Terrible Towels" is completely heterosexual and you're not at all duped by a marketing firm (and a Wisconsin towel factory) for buying into them...
Curdoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
caplovestroyp43
Banned

Member Number: 16490
My Mood: Angelic

That is so cool! Thanks for sharing that article. I'm sure we'll ALL be thinking of our dear Myron Sunday. He'll be with us in spirit that's for sure!!

YOI AND DOUBLE YOI!!!
caplovestroyp43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
acidburn517
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12879

Some of the CRI employees are my patients here in WI. They're so proud of theur job and whenever the Steelers win, the factory can employ extra people because of the increased demand so more disabled people are employed. One of them actually gave me a towel the last time the Steelers won. I'm so proud to wave that towel because it doesn't just represent team spirit and the fans but helps out disabled people by employing them and through The charity that the proceeds support. (which some people may not be aware of or choose to conveniently ignore). It also goes to show that Myron had a brilliant idea since every other team (even the packers) are copying it (except they keep the profts all to themselves).

I'd rather wave the terrible towel than wear a dorky cheesehead (talked about being duped by a marketing firm). LOL.

Last edited by acidburn517; 01-30-2011 at 11:22 PM.
acidburn517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curdoisseur View Post
LMAO.

Yes - and "Terrible Towels" is completely heterosexual and you're not at all duped by a marketing firm (and a Wisconsin towel factory) for buying into them...
"Terrible Towel" is awesome. "Title Towel" is gay because it's just a blatant ripoff.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:45 AM   #8
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curdoisseur View Post
LMAO.

Ahem. Again, where do all the profits for the Terrible Towel go(and anything with the trademark on it)?

Duped by what marketing firm? The marketing firm of the Allegheny Valley School? Yeah, we sure got duped by all those special needs kids. How dare every cent of the profit money go to them.

Marketing firms are for Cheeseheads.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

I don't get the whole "Titletown" slogan thing.

1) there is only one team in town.
2) With 3 titles

To have a title in your slogan that infers what they are trying to ay, would you not want to have the most titles? Or at least be a true sports town, not just one sport? I'm not knocking green Bay, I'm sure its great to live in zero weather with 30 mile an hour winds. But Title town? I dont think so.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:13 AM   #10
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
I don't get the whole "Titletown" slogan thing.

1) there is only one team in town.
2) With 3 titles

To have a title in your slogan that infers what they are trying to ay, would you not want to have the most titles? Or at least be a true sports town, not just one sport? I'm not knocking green Bay, I'm sure its great to live in zero weather with 30 mile an hour winds. But Title town? I dont think so.
Technically they have 12 titles...but only one of them were won after the merger in '70.

No, I'm not taking anything away from those teams that won...just saying.

I agree with you though, it is a little weird, but they are a pretty small city. It's not bad to be proud of what they do have I guess. It's just a little, overblown, I think.

It's definitely the city with the fewest sports teams and titles to use a moniker like that though (i.e. Pittsburgh, Boston, Detroit all use similar monikers).

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote