Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-01-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031
Default Holmes will miss early Steelers workouts....

PITTSBURGH -- Santonio Holmes was convinced that playing at Ohio State would accelerate his entry into the NFL, not delay it.

Turns out it did a little of both.

Holmes' three productive seasons as a wide receiver at one of college football's signature schools allowed him to skip his senior season and become the Pittsburgh Steelers' first-round draft pick.

However, Ohio State's academic schedule will require Holmes to miss three valuable weeks of NFL indoctrination, forcing him to play catch-up when training camp starts in late July.

Because of an NFL-NCAA agreement, a college player cannot take part in NFL spring workouts until his college has had its graduation. Because many schools hold graduation in early May, most NFL draft picks are not affected.

But Holmes can't begin practicing until after the university's mid-June graduation. By then, the Steelers will have finished the 14 days of coaching sessions that follow their May 13-15 minicamp, which Holmes is permitted to attend.

"I'll probably just train back in Columbus with a bunch of my teammates before they leave," Holmes said Monday. "I'll get ready from there."

Whether the delay will hurt Holmes' chances of becoming a starter this season remains uncertain. Two years ago, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said the spring practices gave him a jump start in learning the Steelers' system and his new teammates.

Holmes has a chance to play immediately, too, as he will compete with Cedrick Wilson for the split end's job vacated when Antwaan Randle El signed with the Redskins as free agent. Either Holmes or third-round pick Willie Reid of Florida State will replace Randle El as a punt returner.

Holmes visited the Steelers' offices Monday, meeting with owner Dan Rooney, chairman Art Rooney II, director of football operations Kevin Colbert and coach Bill Cowher. But it wasn't his first trip to the Steelers' complex.

Holmes was recruited heavily by Pitt before signing with Ohio State, and he visited the practice complex the Panthers share with the Steelers. Despite Pitt's reputation for turning out star wide receivers under former coach Walt Harris -- Larry Fitzgerald and Antonio Bryant among them -- Holmes chose Ohio State because of its talent and tradition.

Or exactly the same assets the Steelers have, he said.

"We started getting some of the better athletes at wide receiver to come to Ohio State, and coach (Jim) Tressel saw that and decided to open up the offense a lot more and give us the opportunity to make more plays," Holmes said. "Hopefully, the same thing can happen here in Pittsburgh."

Holmes shares that wish with Roethlisberger, who called the wide receiver immediately after the Steelers drafted him.

"He told me he is very excited that I was picked by the Steelers and he is looking forward to working with me," Holmes said.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:25 PM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: Holmes will miss early Steelers workouts....

i`M sure he will get some time in with Ben somewhere, now lets sign him so he doesnt miss much camp
Old 05-01-2006, 06:29 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,188 Times in 3,490 Posts

whew. i thought this might be a rod wright story with some sort of undisclosed injury. him missing these work outs will amount to nothing. the coaches knew of this before going in and i dont think he will be packing on 30 pounds of fat in those 3 weeks.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:34 PM   #4
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

It'll be fine.It's harder for a QB to adjust than a reciever.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:38 PM   #5
nwksteeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2304

From what I understand this kid is really bright, and I think he won't have a problem learning the playbook. He is physically ready now, and his mental makeup is so that a couple sessions won't kill him.
nwksteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:48 PM   #6
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I think he'll be okay working out with OSU players...didn't like 15 of them get drafted this year?
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:30 PM   #7
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

He'll be fine :)
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:31 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,667 Times in 1,583 Posts

what a silly rule,,,,

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,188 Times in 3,490 Posts

didnt hines ward miss half of training camp?
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:24 PM   #10
BCEDGE
Water Boy

Member Number: 2197

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
whew. i thought this might be a rod wright story with some sort of undisclosed injury. him missing these work outs will amount to nothing. the coaches knew of this before going in and i dont think he will be packing on 30 pounds of fat in those 3 weeks.

It is absurd to state that missing the workout will amount to nothing. There is a reason they have the mini camps. He will clearly be behind when they hit training camp. However, since I don't think they will be counting on him a lot in the early going, he should have the chance to catch up.
If you think the Steelers won the Super Bowl because of the officials...you are nothing but a jealous pathetic idiot. They won because they were better...nothing more nothing less. I am sorry your team wasn't good enough.
BCEDGE is offline   Reply With Quote