Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-31-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts
Default Goodell Throws Roethlisberger Under The Bus In SI This Week

Peter King of SI says in his MMQB column today that a long article on Dark Lord Goodell is running in the upcoming issue.

Here is what Goodell has to say on Roethlisberger and the suspension

Goodell said he "doesn't feel any connection'' with Ben Roethlisberger. Not too surprising there. I'd always heard Roethlisberger felt he got railroaded on his six-game suspension that was reduced to four. But Goodell said he had "some very tough times'' with Chicago defensive tackle Tank Johnson before suspending him, and that Donte' Stallworth chafed when first told he'd be suspended for a year after a car Stallworth was driving struck a man on a Miami causeway and killed him, with the player being legally drunk at the time.

"The one thing I take a little bit of issue with is when guys tell me they're being screwed,'' Goodell said. "[Most often] they're not recognizing they have a role in it.'' Regarding Roethlisberger, Goodell said when he was investigating what to do with the quarterback, he talked to "I bet two dozen [Steeler] players ... Not one, not a single player, went to his defense. It wasn't personal in a sense, but all kinds of stories like, 'He won't sign my jersey.' ''

By way of comparison, Goodell has this to say about convicted felon Mike Vick

He says he thinks Mike Vick "is sincerely trying.... "But Michael said to me, he said my number one goal is to make you proud and ... win that Super Bowl and be that MVP. We talk about that every once in a while. And it could happen. It would be a pretty cool moment"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...eek/index.html

Nice of Goodell to rehash stories of tension between Roethlisberger and his teammates - i was unaware not being popular with the players had anything to do with suspending a player. I also did not know the head of the league would regard the Super Bowl MVP trophy being won by a convicted felon who pleaded guilty to engaging in some fairly significant anti-social behavior would be "a pretty cool moment " given that we know there is not a snowball's chance in hell of Roethlisberger ever getting that award

I really dislike Goodell

Goodell has to be rooting hard for the Packers

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 01-31-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Goodell Throws Roethlisberger Under The Bus

what do you expect? Goodell is a fan of Kraft, the Patriots, and Tom Brady. A fan.
He's f-ing pissed Pittsburgh was in the SB. Yes, he's rooting hard for the Packers. He was rooting even harder for the Jets (an NFL, NY-office based team for one and the other to keep the Steelers out of it)

I found the comments above to be HUGELY unprofessional, bitter, and i further dislike Goodell (if thats even possible)
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,511 Times in 671 Posts

But on page 2 of that article there was this:
"But around the Steelers, you hear good things about the life and times of the guy. I don't blame women who won't forgive Roethlisberger for the story in Georgia last winter (including some very, very close to me), but the fact that he's been chastened and knocked down a few pegs by Goodell and others in his life has had a big impact on him this year.

"Other than my son and my daughter,'' said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, "I've never been prouder of anyone in my life than Ben this year. I trust my kids' judgment, and they have known Ben for a long time. They've both told me, 'Dad, he's different. He's himself again.' ''
I'll take Arians' first-hand assessment over Goodell's third-hand version.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

if the Steelers win Sunday evening, I hope that not one single player accepts Ms. Goodell's insincere congratulations, and ignores him completely during the post-game celebration
Old 01-31-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
if the Steelers win Sunday evening, I hope that not one single player accepts Ms. Goodell's insincere congratulations, and ignores him completely during the post-game celebration
haha. that would be priceless....although it would never happen
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: Goodell Throws Roethlisberger Under The Bus In SI This Week

Goodell doesn't feel a connection with Ben? Is that a requirement? Ben should worship this guy?

I really would like to see Harrison "connect" with Goddell on the podium and take him right off it. It would be curious to see Harrisons and Ben's general reaction to this guy. Since Harrison declined to go to the Whitehouse in the past, it sort of show he doesn;t like the phony bs that goes on. Curious if he would ignore the Roger the Great.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
jaygorius
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10909

All this hate coming out on Ben now... I think people love a comeback story but just not so soon, as in the same season? Maybe people feel like he hasn't paid enough yet? It doesn't matter to me as a Steelers fan, I will be happy if they win.

I'd image that Ben has taken the position this week of not viewing any media (the whole team for that matter). They'll get asked lots of questions about it this week, and if Ben has really become a better teammate as we are hearing from the team, then hopefully they will rally around him.
jaygorius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:46 AM   #8
pghfrank62
Water Boy

Member Number: 17453

This is just the start of the crap this week. The media frenzy in Dallas is sure to be a fiasco when it comes to Ben. I will bet a dollar to a donut every time he is interviewed this week he will be asked about both cases and his answer will be im here to play football. This is Roger the Emperors worst nightmare having the Steelers in The Big Dance, at the Palace in Dallas!!!!!!!!
pghfrank62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:47 AM   #9
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

It will just be hysterical to watch Goodell hand that trophy to Roethlisberger and better yet, have to congratulate him for winning the Super Bowl MVP. Those are going to be some sweet, sweet moments if they come to pass.

It may go something like this...

[YOUTUBE]owzhYNcd4OM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,511 Times in 671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
I think doing just the opposite would be better.

If we win, I'd like to see Ben shake Goodell's hand and tell him that the year has given him an opportunity to take stock of his life and that if things hadn't happened the way they did, he would never have been able to become the person he has and that he owes it all to the respect and support of his teammates.

And then have the camera focus on Goodell's face as he searches for an answer to that.

Living good is the best revenge.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote