Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,884 Times in 1,126 Posts
Default The Official Brett Keisel Beard thread

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/01/31/its-...e=HP_spotlight

FORT WORTH — We all have those Christmas presents that we don’t use. A tie rack, an automated coin sorter and any CD bought at Wal-Mart that edits out all the profanity.

For the Steelers’ Brett Keisel, it is a razor his wife gave to him. From this side view, it is obvious that razor won’t be used.

“I am thinning on top, so I had to do something,” Keisel quipped.

“I don’t even remember what my face looks like.”

Should have given him more conditioner (which he was adamant to point out he did use).

The beard did dominate the conversation when Keisel and a select group of Pittsburgh Steelers met the media Monday shortly after arriving in town, but Keisel did answer some football questions. When discussing the team of the decade, he said the Steelers aren’t there yet.

“We are just a good team trying to get better.”

As for beard of the decade, that competition is over. Even QB Ben Roethlisberger was cracking jokes, suggesting that Keisel’s beard has its own Twitter feed. I’d follow it.

In spirit of his...great...beard I think we should crack jokes about it.

Brett Keisel doesn't have a beard, the beard has a Brett Kiesel.

Brett Keisel has more hair on his face than Justin Beiber has on his whole body.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Brett Keisel's grizzly beard 'unleashed Super Bowl power'

Brett Keisel's grizzly beard 'unleashed Super Bowl power'
By Nate Davis, USA TODAY
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...-keisel_N.htm#
FORT WORTH Brett Keisel takes his sweet time.

EnlargeClose

By Gregory Shamus, Getty Images

While Pittsburgh defensive end Brett Keisel is known for harassing opposing offenses, his beard is now getting all the attention leading into Super Bowl XLV.

Whether it's developing into a star player, making a championship-clinching play or shaving his beard, the Pittsburgh Steelers' ninth-year defensive end is rarely in a rush.

However, he was surrounded by a crush of reporters Monday after the team's arrival in Texas, most of them fascinated by his Grizzly Adams-esque appearance.

"The beard is why we're here," cracked Keisel. "It's unleashed Super Bowl power on our whole team."

Indeed, his facial follicles have taken on a life of their own.

Since Keisel stopped shaving last June, Facebook and Twitter pages have been dedicated to the beard, and it may draw more attention this week than the renowned locks of Steelers safety Troy Polamalu or Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews.

"It's got its own T-shirt, so I mean it's its own entity," said Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, a close friend of Keisel's. "He hides everything in there. We go hunting, and he hides decoys in there."

Yet for all the notoriety coming Keisel's way, living with an entity on his face entails certain challenges.

"Maintenance problems, issues with the mouthpiece, issues with the chinstrap all of them overcome-able for the main goal, which is win the Super Bowl," he said.

Keisel's cyber celebrity won't do any good on that front, but his play could definitely help him earn a third ring and a record seventh Lombardi Trophy for the franchise.

Though playing left end on coordinator Dick LeBeau's patented 3-4 defense doesn't lend itself to glory Keisel finished the year with 33 tackles and three sacks while sucking up a lot of blocks for the linebackers who racked up the sacks and tackles while swooping in behind him he did earn his first Pro Bowl berth for doing the dirty work that's so greatly appreciated in the Steel City.

"They have three big guys, three really big experienced guys up front," said Packers right guard Josh Sitton, who will spend much of Super Bowl XLV colliding with Keisel. "They have guys that have got a lot of football under their belts, and they play physical."

Keisel was drafted in the seventh round out of Brigham Young in 2002. He'd worked his way into a starting role by 2006 and even fell on a fumble from quarterback Kurt Warner, killing the Arizona Cardinals' final drive of Super Bowl XLIII and putting a bow on Pittsburgh's 27-23 victory.

But Keisel received a little help along his route from a fellow Cougars defensive lineman to reach that point. Reserve nose tackle Chris Hoke left BYU and signed with the Steelers as a free agent a year before Keisel's arrival.

"It's been awesome. We've really relied on each other a lot. When I first came to Pittsburgh, Hokie took me under his wing," said Keisel.

"He told me what was expected because I asked him, 'How am I gonna make this team, man?' He said, 'You know what, keep your head down and go to work.'

"I honestly don't know if I'd be in this position without Chris Hoke."

His spot secured the Steelers awarded the fringe draft pick a five-year, $18.9 million contract prior to the 2009 season Keisel is turning his attention toward the Packers, specifically multi-threat quarterback Aaron Rodgers and the problems he poses.

"I think Aaron's the best. I think he's playing the best, including (Tom) Brady. I don't see people throwing the ball where it's 5 feet off the ground for 40 yards like Aaron does," said Keisel.

"I think it's gonna be a big key in the game getting to him and trying to get him rattled."

And perhaps no one is rooting for Pittsburgh to plant Rodgers in the turf more than Keisel's wife, Sarah.

"Hopefully we'll win, I can go home and pull the Lombardi out of the beard for all the fans to see, and then I think I'll have to whack it off or my wife might leave me," said Keisel.

"She doesn't really remember the guy she married, but she gets to wake up to this every morning and at least get a chuckle. She gave me a razor for Christmas, and it's still in the package.

"But I'll have to break that out eventually."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts
Default Re: The Official Brett Keisel Beard thread

we are going to try and keep all discussions about 'the beard" contained in one single thread.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,884 Times in 1,126 Posts

Thanks Tony.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

Brett looks like he's about to join ZZ Top.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:52 AM   #6
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I'm growing one till the SB is over, lol working on about 4 weeks now. I do look ridiculous lol, but it's a deal I made and it's working well so far.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:04 AM   #8
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

I'm worried about his beard causing the refs to penalize us for having 12 men on the field.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:09 AM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

"Excuse me... Mr. Keisel... I have Jesus on line 1 and He'd like His beard back."