Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-02-2006, 05:31 AM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Go Go Gadget Play?

Hey Steeler fans,

With Robinson off the board early in the 4th round the Steelers never got their much predicted slash QB/RB/WR guy - so the question is who do the gadget plays go through now?

Hines Ward is the only guy I can think of who has experience of QB - but then you cant have the same guy catching the bomb as throwing it!

Maybe the gadgets go out of the playbook altogether?

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:39 AM   #2
benberger
Water Boy

Member Number: 242
Default Re: Go Go Gadget Play?

ben pitches to willie, hands off to hines, throws to santonio for another super bowl TD.
benberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:43 AM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Hines, Cedric Wilson,Heath Miller, Quincey Morgan, are all guys that have either played QB in the past or have atleast attempted passes on Gadget plays. Who knows, since Holmes is a do it all guy, maybe we can get him to throw some passes too.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:12 AM   #4
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

Some of the guys on this roster are unbelievable athletes.... I am sure our gadget plays will still remain a threat.....

Which is probably more effective than actually running them.... the threat of reverses and option passes and misdirection forces the defensive secondary to stay honest.
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:20 AM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
Hines, Cedric Wilson,Heath Miller, Quincey Morgan, are all guys that have either played QB in the past or have atleast attempted passes on Gadget plays. Who knows, since Holmes is a do it all guy, maybe we can get him to throw some passes too.
Thanks Blitz,

I wasn't aware of so many guys with experience of throwing the rock.

I didnt think Cowher would want to give up them gadgets - when they come off they look excellent.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,330 Times in 3,527 Posts

although hes gone, jerome was known to throw a few touchdowns too. not the prototypical qb for sure. i have thought alot about the gadget play. was it just a deoderant for inadequate qb's or wr's to stretch the field? or was it fully maximizing the talent we had? i say the latter. it became ingrained in the playbook since kordells 1st year. the players love it. they love running them in practice and they love the anticipation of them being called in a game. it is fun for them. i say dont take this fun away. the fans love it too. els toss in the sb will go down as one of the more memorable sb plays. i dont think we will see anyone who is good as those plays as el was, though. he was a special player. like jerome, a player that probably comes along once every 20 years. but i dont see scrapping parts of the playbook because of the departure of one or 2 guys. thats just not the steelers style. can duce throw????
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:02 AM   #7
Tim
Starter

Member Number: 661

Heh.. if Bettis can throw touchdown passes, who knows. I'm sure we'll find someone.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #8
Dook
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 906

I think the gadget plays are exciting and may have some slight advantage in keeping opposing defenses on their toes but they have never been key to any of our wins.

Except maybe that playoff game a few years ago against the Jets when Bettis tossed one.

This year we may pull a few more tricks, use the gadget play in the first two games then cut them out and bring them back for the playoffs. Secondaries will have to respect the reverse and it may open up a few big runs for us.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:31 AM   #9
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

If they choose to continue to run end around passes I think they already had the guy to throw it in Ward... they just went out and got a new guy to catch it in Holmes. Hines played some quarterback and I'm not sure he is as accurate as El but I'll bet he can complete a pass to a wide open receiver.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #10
pucho58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1737

They could use that rookie qb they just picked up.
pucho58 is offline   Reply With Quote