Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-24-2006, 11:56 PM   #1
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611
Default Martin nance

It seemed that everyone was excited about Martin Nance.
I havn't seen his name mentioned a whole lot. Is he kinda out or do you think the steelers might take him in the 3rd round?

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:01 AM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: Martin nance

I`m not sure he would still be availbale late third round, and I guess it depends on what we do earlier
Old 04-25-2006, 09:16 AM   #3
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

His stock has dropped A LOT. I remember when his name was mentioned as being a possible first rounder (back when he was Ben's favorite target), then he got hurt, and the guy who replaced Ben was quite a step down talent-wise, but he still had a damned good season last year with 81 catches for 1,107 and 14 TD's. I found this blurb about him at one of the rating websites:

"Nance has the size and toughness to catch the ball in the middle, but also has the footwork and cut ability to beat corners. He runs crisp, sharp routes, and his long arms and strong hands give his quarterback a welcome target. Despite his imposing size, Nance has great agility and athleticism. He is a smart player, who wants the ball with the game on the line. With his integration of size and finesse, Nance is one of the premier receiving talents in football."

I'm not sure why he's free falling, but I look for us to pick him in the 3rd round.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,856 Times in 4,494 Posts

heres what rivals.com has to say. i think they have him the highest ive seen rated at the 5th best wr:

Pros: Nance has the hands and size to win most matchups. He has excellent leaping ability and has shown he can get open despite average speed. At the Senior Bowl he completed an excellent final season with a strong performance against NFL-caliber corners. He catches the ball well in front of his body with his huge hands and uses his body to shield and outmuscle defenders. He has fine strength that allows him to fight off the bump and run, and he uses his hands well to disengage from defenders. He is strong going over the middle with the ability to take a hit and hold on to the ball. He is especially effective in the red zone with the ability to come back and adjust to the ball in flight.
Cons: He needs to improve his defensive recognition. He missed most of his junior season with a knee injury, but proved healthy in his return as a senior.
Numbers: As a senior he caught 81 passes for 1,107 yards (13.7-yard average). As a sophomore he caught 90 passes for 1,498 yards (16.6-yard average). Over his career he scored 26 touchdowns, despite limited action in both ’02 and ’04. At the combine, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.55 seconds with a 33?” vertical and 9’4” broad jump.
Skinny: He is similar to NFL receivers David Terrell and Marcus Robinson in size, athleticism and receiving skills. Over time, he carries a definite starting grade. Marginal top 75 prospect and good third round pick, but may drop into the fourth round.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:50 AM   #5
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

I've seen him as high as #59 on draft value boards, and there will definitely be interest in him in rd 3. The question is, is this the guy the Steelers want? We know Ben wants him, but I don't believe he's visited the Steelers. Is he worth moving up a bit in the 3rd for?
Old 04-25-2006, 10:09 AM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

If we havent picked a WR by the third, and if he is still availbale, then take him!

IF
Old 04-25-2006, 10:17 AM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,856 Times in 4,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
I've seen him as high as #59 on draft value boards, and there will definitely be interest in him in rd 3. The question is, is this the guy the Steelers want? We know Ben wants him, but I don't believe he's visited the Steelers. Is he worth moving up a bit in the 3rd for?
i look at ben as a kid whos been good all year and wants a new bike for x-mas. the steelers took plex away from him. while he got heath last year its time to give ben a new toy. i think just the perceived steelers interest in him is gonna drive up his stock, which is probably why theyve been quiet with him (assuming this is the direction they are leaning.) if they KNOW he is better than f. gibson, then i say move up in the 3rd to get him. especially if they dont move up in the 1st or 2nd. trading back a few spots in the 1st or 2nd could land us a pick where nance could fall into our laps with the 1st of 2, 3rd round picks.

what i dont wanna see is there be 2 wr there and ben really wants and feels comfortable with nance and the steelers draft the other. while hes not the gm or scouting dept. i think the steelers should be willing to flex a little and keep ben happy and excited about the upcoming season.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:19 AM   #8
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
i look at ben as a kid whos been good all year and wants a new bike for x-mas. the steelers took plex away from him. while he got heath last year its time to give ben a new toy. i think just the perceived steelers interest in him is gonna drive up his stock, which is probably why theyve been quiet with him (assuming this is the direction they are leaning.) if they KNOW he is better than f. gibson, then i say move up in the 3rd to get him. especially if they dont move up in the 1st or 2nd. trading back a few spots in the 1st or 2nd could land us a pick where nance could fall into our laps with the 1st of 2, 3rd round picks.

what i dont wanna see is there be 2 wr there and ben really wants and feels comfortable with nance and the steelers draft the other. while hes not the gm or scouting dept. i think the steelers should be willing to flex a little and keep ben happy and excited about the upcoming season.
Well said. And yes you know that Ben wants a new target badly, Cowher & Co. have to see this and give him what he wants, and what we need
Old 04-25-2006, 10:38 AM   #9
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

I just don't see how WR isn't a top priority for this team. Assuming we aren't going to move up, and the team has no interest in Moss, then this move makes an awful lot of sense, since the perception is that there is a massive drop-off in talent after the top 3 WR's are taken.

I'm thinking
#32 Ko Simpson
#64 John Alston (LB Stanford)
#96 Martin Nance

BUT if Carpenter is there at 32, then we look at a guy like Pat Watson (FS Florida State) or maybe a Darnell Bing if he's still on the board at 64. Then again, if Demetrius Watson is there at 64, I think they have to take him...it's enough to make your head spin.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:28 PM   #10
Avoid Lloyd
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
I just don't see how WR isn't a top priority for this team. Assuming we aren't going to move up, and the team has no interest in Moss, then this move makes an awful lot of sense, since the perception is that there is a massive drop-off in talent after the top 3 WR's are taken.

I'm thinking
#32 Ko Simpson
#64 John Alston (LB Stanford)
#96 Martin Nance

BUT if Carpenter is there at 32, then we look at a guy like Pat Watson (FS Florida State) or maybe a Darnell Bing if he's still on the board at 64. Then again, if Demetrius Watson is there at 64, I think they have to take him...it's enough to make your head spin.
Wow I can't wait to sit and watch this with a case of beer and some pizza.
Avoid Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote