Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-03-2006, 12:17 AM   #1
Ohio Steeler
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2142
Default Steelers sign CB Taylor to one-year qualifying offer

Updated: May 2, 2006, 7:38 PM ET
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Three-year veteran cornerback Ike Taylor, whose fourth-quarter interception in Super Bowl XL set up the clinching touchdown for the Pittsburgh Steelers, on Tuesday signed the one-year restricted free-agent qualifying offer the team made him two months ago.

The one-year deal is worth $1.573 million and, barring a contract extension, Taylor will be eligible for unrestricted free agency next spring.

A fourth-round selection in the 2003 draft, Taylor became a full-time starter last season after only two starts in his first two years in the league. The former Louisiana-Lafayette standout not only solidified the left cornerback spot for Pittsburgh but also emerged as one of the NFL's best young coverage defenders. Certainly the Steelers coaches view him as their best pass defender.

In 16 appearances and 15 starts, Taylor registered 96 tackles, one of the top five totals in the league for a cornerback. He also had one interception, a team-high 25 passes defensed and two fumble recoveries.

After being picked on by Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck early in Super Bowl XL and dropping one ball right in his hands in the second quarter, Taylor intercepted a pass that was intended for Seahawks wide receiver Darrell Jackson early in the fourth quarter. The interception thwarted a drive that had reached the Pittsburgh 27-yard line. The Steelers, leading only 14-10 at the time, scored four plays later on the reverse pass from Antwaan Randle El to Super Bowl MVP Hines Ward to secure the victory.

In the team's four postseason wins, Taylor was outstanding, posting 31 tackles, a pair of interceptions and five passes defensed. His seven tackles in the Super Bowl led the team. For his career, Taylor has 125 tackles, two interceptions, 32 passes defensed and two fumble recoveries in 45 games.

Pittsburgh coaches point to Taylor's impressive playoff performance as an indicator of his maturity and burgeoning confidence.

Taylor, 25, has excellent size (6-feet-1, 190 pounds) and speed and is very aggressive in support against the run. His one obvious shortcoming is his suspect hands, and he dropped several interception opportunities during the season. That said, he will be a very attractive player in free agency next spring, if he gets onto the open market.

There were rumors this spring that several teams, including Washington, might attempt to sign Taylor to a restricted free-agent offer sheet. But the deadline for offers sheets passed on April 15 without any franchise following through, and Taylor's exclusive negotiating rights reverted to the Steelers.

Last month, Pittsburgh officials and representatives for Taylor discussed the possibility of a long-term contract. The Steelers may resume those negotiations before Taylor qualifies for unrestricted free agency.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Last edited by Ohio Steeler; 05-03-2006 at 02:08 AM.
Ohio Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:26 AM   #2
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508
Default Re: Steelers sign CB Taylor to one-year qualifying offer

damn it, i thought this would be worth a damn. this is old news, they need to lock this man up already or he's gonna be a bitch and leave for more money next year and not even give us a chance to resign him
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:56 AM   #3
Ohio Steeler
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa
damn it, i thought this would be worth a damn. this is old news, they need to lock this man up already or he's gonna be a bitch and leave for more money next year and not even give us a chance to resign him

I thought the same thing whne I read this what is up with the 1 one-year qualifying offer, is he trying out for the team or something I dont get it
Old 05-03-2006, 02:03 AM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,156 Posts

OLD NEWS....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

What gives? How come this is in the paper now?
Old 05-03-2006, 09:34 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,839 Times in 2,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Steeler
Updated: May 2, 2006, 7:38 PM ET
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

In the team's four postseason wins, Taylor was outstanding, posting 31 tackles, a pair of interceptions and five passes defensed. His seven tackles in the Super Bowl led the team.
his last 4 games (against the best teams in the afc and nfc) project out to

124 tackles
8 int
20 passes defended

next season
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:45 AM   #7
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa
Ike is looking to fill the vault. And "his maturity and burgeoning confidence" is a nice way of saying a future imploding self-promoter.

The good that will come of this is that either way he has to bust his tail this year if he wants other teams to give him his shopping spree at Fort Knox next off season.

I'm betting that this is his last year as a Steeler.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:55 PM   #8
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I don't know about that...this year he needs to step it up and prove that he's as good as advertised...if so, I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers laid a franchise tag on him.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #9
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
I don't know about that...this year he needs to step it up and prove that he's as good as advertised...if so, I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers laid a franchise tag on him.
Ahhh. Great point. That would sound like Omar Khan is far ahead on this.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote