Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 05-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #1
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231
Default Q:How does Holmes effect the Steelers offense A:It could be really scary

WIDE RECEIVERS
Obviously Santonio Holmes is somebody who excites a large portion of the Steeler nation. He brings gamebreaking ability to passing game (possibly special teams as well). Maybe more importantly, however, his draft selection gives us fantastic depth at WR.

He allows Nate Washington one more year of seasoning, maturing and learning. I am excited about him, but feel better about Holmes in your first 3 WR's instead of Washington. I want Nate in a Steelers uniform just would love to see his development continue (patience has paid off for several current starters on O and D).

Holmes pick also allows us to keep Q Morgan in a role he is more effective at .... a receiver in a 4 WR set and a special teams asset.

Hopefully Holmes' addition, along with Willie Reid, will make it so that nobody has to witness Sean Morey running pass patterns ever again.... Sean is a great gunner but little else.

Holmes allows players to stay in roles that they are more effective in and with Hines and Ced, Santonio shouldnt feel a ton of pressure to come in and make tons of plays early.

Needless to say I love our core of WR's much more after the draft than I did before.
TIGHT ENDS
H Miller made an immediate impact as a rookie.... imagine how good he will be when he becomes a professional!!!!

Tuman is an effective backup.... Drafting Miller made Tuman a better player because he is playing a role (backup TE & ST) that he is more suited to contribute

Heath may not be Gates or Gonzalez but he is a great red zone threat, we saw in the playoffs (especially vs Indy) that he can stretch the D a bit for Ben and there is little doubt that he should be considered a weapon.... Not many teams consider their TE a weapon. Lord knows no Steeler TE has been widely considered a "weapon" in nearly 10 years.

RUNNING BACK
I know there were people out there who wanted White in Round 2, but I love our RB situation right now. Every back on our roster is effective at catching the ball out of the backfield. And they have been around our running scheme for multiple years now.

I never understood why people wanted to draft White in Round 1 because we have a RB that ran for 1200+ in his 1st season. Yes Willie is a bit undersized so durability (especially for a Steeler RB) is an issue. But every back is undersized compared to the big fella that has been toting the rock for us the last 10 seasons. Willie's speed is something that changes our offense and makes it way more dangerous.

Duce appears to be set to take over the closer role Bettis filled for the last few seasons. He also is a guy with outstanding hands out of the backfield. He also has bulked up quite a bit and maybe that allows him to improve his durability. Duce also gets brownie points from me cause he was ready to play last year and wasnt dressed for several games. Did he pout? Did he ever say one selfish word through the media? Nope. Instead he deferred to our inspirational leader and future hall of famer. We dont see a lot of that in professional sports today. Duce showed class last season and I will be rooting for him to succeed this season.... he truely deserves it.

If either gets injured V Haynes is waiting in the wings. Look he is our best pass blocking RB, he ran well when he was given opportunities the last two seasons.... and the Steelers resigned him when his contract ran out. That should tell us all something right there cause they arent afraid to let a guy leave via FA.

The nicest thing about our RB situation is our depth. Look around the league most teams realize you need more than one RB to contend for a Super Bowl and we have a lovely rotation of guys, including Danny K, who all excell at different things (speed, blocking, pass catching, etc) and fill much need roles for this team. We will miss the bus, but our RB's as a whole still remains in the top third of the league.

QUARTERBACK
Remember those worksheets you would get in 1st grade that would look ask you to pick out what doesnt fit.... Ex. a) Shoe b) Sock c) Sandle d) Boat
Well try this one... a) N ODonnell b) T Maddox c) K Stewert d) B Roethlisberger

He is getting more comfortable as a leader,
The FO is giving him more weapons to work with on O
And entering his 3rd yr, he is still getting better as a QB.....That is SCARY!!

OFFENSIVE LINE
Our line is not a question mark at all... Depth might be an issue. If an injury occurs we will be ok but would be operating at a lower level (much like midseason last yr). If we dont experience any serious injury to the O-line expect more of what we saw in 2004 and 2005.

If everything goes according to hoyle, we will have a top 3 or 4 offefnse in the AFC next season.... YOI & DOUBLE YOI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:49 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Q:How does Holmes effect the Steelers offense A:It could be really scary

If your going to look at the overall scheme of things, the Steeler philosophy on offense will remain the same.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06122/686674-66.stm
Old 05-02-2006, 08:57 AM   #3
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231
Default Re: Q:How does Holmes effect the Steelers offense A:It could be really scary

Oh it wont change at all ... just be more effective in my opinion.
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:09 PM   #4
IamTheSteelGod
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1064
My Mood: Yeehaw

What's the stats on Holmes! How tall and heavey is he?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTheSteelGod
What's the stats on Holmes! How tall and heavey is he?
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...nioholmes.html
Old 05-02-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I think our philosphy has already started changing. nothing drastic, but Cowher opened up the playbook and the passing game more and more as the season went on. Then all three playoff games Ben was on fire. We needed a fast deep threat. Saturday we got a fast deep threat
Old 05-02-2006, 02:12 PM   #7
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Cowher might pass more this year. They have the weapons to do so. But I expect the Steelers to still have a run/pass ratio of 55/45.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:43 PM   #8
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313
Default Re: Q:How does Holmes effect the Steelers offensA:It could be really scary

i dont like this pick i think since we traded up we should have taken deangelo williams with this pick. I dont have any faith in willie parker and duce staley is injury prone
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:14 PM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Default Re: Q:How does Holmes effect the Steelers offensA:It could be really scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D
i dont like this pick
Definately in the minority on that one.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:24 PM   #10
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D
i dont like this pick i think since we traded up we should have taken deangelo williams with this pick. I dont have any faith in willie parker and duce staley is injury prone
I like the pick. If I had to do it all over again I'd still take LenDale. I don't trust Duce's knees.

Bottom line. If we can find a way to control the clock with who we have back there then I wouldn't be unhappy if Cowher lets Ben open it up a little.

If having Holmes means newfound depth at the receiver position then were we really that shallow before the draft? I don't think we were that shallow and I don't think we are that deep now. Heath Miller changes everything.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote