Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Tomlin 'negotiating' a big raise

Tomlin 'negotiating' a big raise
Thursday, February 03, 2011 01:00 AM
Written by Bob Smizik
http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...ng-a-big-raise
Nobody asked me about the Super Bowl, but . . .

* With his second Super Bowl in three years and a stellar career record of 48-22, Mike Tomlin will have most, if not all, of the leverage when his contract is next negotiated, most likely later this year. He’s the hottest coach in football -- and just about the winningest -- and won’t come cheap.

* I understand the betting line doesn’t necessarily indicate which is the better team, but I do not understand the Steelers’ underdog role. They have the better quarterback, although not by much, a better defense, a better run offense and a steeper recent post-season pedigree.

* I don’t get it with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Not only did he go out of his way to make critical comments about Ben Roethlisberger with Peter King, he also was critical of Bill Belichick to King. He needs to show better judgment.

* The great Hines Ward will not retire after this season, as has been suggested, but will return for one more year. By 2012, Emmanuel Sanders should be ready to take over Ward‘s job.

* If Aaron Smith and Maurkice Pouncey are not ready to play, and multiple reports say both are out of the game, Tomlin is being borderline dishonest in claiming they might.

* My sleeper candidate for Super Bowl MVP: Heath Miller.

* One day until Goodell’s Super Bowl news conference. That should be good.

* King, Pittsburgh’s favorite writer, picks the Steelers, 33-27, in the current issue of Sports Illustrated with Roethlisberger throwing for three touchdowns.

* I’ve seen it written that Bruce Arians might not be back next season. That’s hard to believe and would be exceedingly stupid. I understand that Arians gets, say, 85 percent of the play-calls wrong, but look at the development of all the young players on offense. Look what he’s done with a makeshift offensive line. Look what he’s done with Roethlisberger. Oh yeah, the Steelers are 48-22 with him calling the plays.

* Steelers greatest need for next season: cornerback.

* For all the talk of how much the Steelers have had to overcome with the suspension of Roethlisberger and the injuries on the offensive line and to Smith, their problems pale next to woes of the Packers, who have 16 players on injured reserve.

* Guarantee: Which ever teams wins, at least one of its player and probably more will say, ``No one gave us a chance.’’

* If the Steelers get to open the 2011 NFL season on a Thursday night at Heinz Field, which team would you like to see as their opponent?

* It’s not fair to compare the linebackers on this team’s 3-4 defense with the linebackers in the 4-3 defense of the 1970s. But this group of James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley, James Farrior and Lawrence Timmons has the edge over the excellent Super Bowl XXX unit of Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Levon Kirkland and Chad Brown.

* Steelers, 30-27.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
SteelersBry79
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16070
Default Re: Tomlin 'negotiating' a big raise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Tomlin 'negotiating' a big raise
Thursday, February 03, 2011 01:00 AM
Written by Bob Smizik
http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...ng-a-big-raise
Nobody asked me about the Super Bowl, but . . .

* With his second Super Bowl in three years and a stellar career record of 48-22, Mike Tomlin will have most, if not all, of the leverage when his contract is next negotiated, most likely later this year. He’s the hottest coach in football -- and just about the winningest -- and won’t come cheap.

* I understand the betting line doesn’t necessarily indicate which is the better team, but I do not understand the Steelers’ underdog role. They have the better quarterback, although not by much, a better defense, a better run offense and a steeper recent post-season pedigree.

* I don’t get it with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Not only did he go out of his way to make critical comments about Ben Roethlisberger with Peter King, he also was critical of Bill Belichick to King. He needs to show better judgment.

* The great Hines Ward will not retire after this season, as has been suggested, but will return for one more year. By 2012, Emmanuel Sanders should be ready to take over Ward‘s job.

* If Aaron Smith and Maurkice Pouncey are not ready to play, and multiple reports say both are out of the game, Tomlin is being borderline dishonest in claiming they might.

* My sleeper candidate for Super Bowl MVP: Heath Miller.

* One day until Goodell’s Super Bowl news conference. That should be good.

* King, Pittsburgh’s favorite writer, picks the Steelers, 33-27, in the current issue of Sports Illustrated with Roethlisberger throwing for three touchdowns.

* I’ve seen it written that Bruce Arians might not be back next season. That’s hard to believe and would be exceedingly stupid. I understand that Arians gets, say, 85 percent of the play-calls wrong, but look at the development of all the young players on offense. Look what he’s done with a makeshift offensive line. Look what he’s done with Roethlisberger. Oh yeah, the Steelers are 48-22 with him calling the plays.

* Steelers greatest need for next season: cornerback.

* For all the talk of how much the Steelers have had to overcome with the suspension of Roethlisberger and the injuries on the offensive line and to Smith, their problems pale next to woes of the Packers, who have 16 players on injured reserve.

* Guarantee: Which ever teams wins, at least one of its player and probably more will say, ``No one gave us a chance.’’

* If the Steelers get to open the 2011 NFL season on a Thursday night at Heinz Field, which team would you like to see as their opponent?

* It’s not fair to compare the linebackers on this team’s 3-4 defense with the linebackers in the 4-3 defense of the 1970s. But this group of James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley, James Farrior and Lawrence Timmons has the edge over the excellent Super Bowl XXX unit of Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Levon Kirkland and Chad Brown.

* Steelers, 30-27.

Great post and I agree with everything, especially your sleeper MVP choice. I'd love to see Miller get it.
SteelersBry79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
El Nino
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17899

30-27 does sound too high scoring though considering both defenses are 1 and 2 in points allowed. i think only one of the teams hits the 20 point mark
El Nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
realdeal
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10935

Nice post!!
realdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
Diamond-D
Water Boy

Member Number: 17576

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Yeah, forget psychological tricks, forget throwing opponents off, forget making preparation for the other team even slightly harder and forget suspense. What the true first priority of an NFL coach is, is honesty.

What an idiotic comment by Smizik.

Quote:
This, on the other hand, is hilarious because it is such a good call. Especially in such a close odds game.

Last edited by Diamond-D; 02-03-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Diamond-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond-D View Post
What the true first priority of an NFL coach is, is honest.
"... I used to tell my wife that all the time...

... and she BELIEVED me!!!"
Old 02-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
SeinfeldNut
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17822

Great post! Could see Heath Miller win MVP of this Super Bowl, he does so many things well for the team whether its run blocking, catching a pass or blocking up a pass rusher.

Class, Integrity, Character
SeinfeldNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
Steelerfreak58
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8080

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH!