Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 02-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,032 Times in 415 Posts
Default Peter King's Super Bowl Prediction

With two of the smartest defensive minds in football and two of the best defenses in the game facing off Sunday in Texas, logic says this should be a 17-13 pitchers duel. I am not logical.
As much as I respect 3-4 brainchildren/inventors Dick LeBeau of the Steelers and Dom Capers of the Packers, I respect the quarterbacks, the speed receivers and the conditions inside a closed stadium more. The last time Aaron Rodgers played inside, in a wild-card win at Atlanta, he looked like a cross between Steve Young and Johnny Unitas. His receivers continually burned Falcons coverage. And Ben Roethlisberger, given ideal conditions, is going to use the fastest receiver corps in Steelers history to his advantage.
Part of my duties this year at the Super Bowl include being the pool reporter at Steelers practices. And on Wednesday, I saw exactly what I had seen on a hot August day in training camp and what I had seen when the Steelers beat the Ravens in the divisional playoffs three weeks ago: speed. Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown have given secondaries matchup problems down the stretch this year, and that won't change on Sunday. Same thing with Rodgers and his accomplished group of wideouts.
This is a game where I could see some defensive points scored. Look at Green Bay's defensive playmakers. Sam Shields entered the playoffs as an unknown nickelback. After starring with a two-interception performance in the NFC Championship Game, Shields now poses a legitimate matchup concern for Roethlisberger and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians of the Steelers. Who do you try to exploit? The 2009 defensive player of the year, Charles Woodson? His $35 million running mate at cornerback, Tramon Williams? Or Shields?
On the other side, Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark are so good together in the deep secondary and around the line of scrimmage that I wouldn't be surprised after some plays one says to the other, "You complete me." What the Steelers lack in strong cornerback play, they make up for in pass-rush and safety help.
There is no question in my mind that the game will be close, and there is no question in my mind that either team could win and it wouldn't remotely be a surprise. Give me the Steelers, 33-27, just because I think Roethlisberger, the tree trunk, is better suited to take the hits the quarterbacks will take in this game and keep on ticking.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1CwifiUMl
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
headymessman86
Water Boy

Member Number: 6294
Default Re: Peter King's Super Bowl Prediction

Peter King and Madden '11 calling it. Good enough for me, when's the parade?
headymessman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts

Peter King can eat Tom Brady's (bleep)....
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts

Dude, Big Ben has been playing Ed Reed two a year for 7 years, what the hell do they think Scott Shields is going to do to him? never seen so much hype for players who have done nothing execpt for a couple games. Its like everyone forgets they had a rookie QB run up and down the field for 2 TDs on them.

And if Akers didnt have the worst day of his kicking career, they wouldnt have even been in the Super Bowl.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Dude, Big Ben has been playing Ed Reed two a year for 7 years, what the hell do they think Scott Shields is going to do to him? never seen so much hype for players who have done nothing execpt for a couple games. Its like everyone forgets they had a rookie third string QB run up and down the field for 2 TDs on them.

And if Akers didnt have the worst day of his kicking career, Mike Vick wasn't horrendous, and Atlanta wasn't completely overhyped, they wouldnt have even been in the Super Bowl.
Fixed it for you
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
LegendSteel
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17810

I'm happy he picked the Steelers (twice), but Peter King can't make up his mind. At the beginning of the season he picked the Steelers and Packers with the Steelers coming out on top 35-31. Then in the playoff preview issue he changed to the Patriots. Now he's back to the Steelers with a different score. I'm going to laugh my ass off if it ends up being 35-31 Steelers.
LegendSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Vic Carucci - Numero Uno at NFL.com - is also throwing his hat in the Steelers' ring.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,996 Times in 904 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Dude, Big Ben has been playing Ed Reed two a year for 7 years, what the hell do they think Scott Shields is going to do to him? never seen so much hype for players who have done nothing execpt for a couple games. Its like everyone forgets they had a rookie QB run up and down the field for 2 TDs on them.

And if Akers didnt have the worst day of his kicking career, they wouldnt have even been in the Super Bowl.
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Cheerful

Dang it. How can we play the no respect card with all of these people picking the Steelers?

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote