Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-04-2011, 04:13 AM   #1
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Steelers OLB Harrison planning to play through 2014

FORT WORTH, Texas Looking back, Steelers OLB James Harrison(notes) admits that his flirtation with retirement earlier this season was an overreaction to the frustration he felt after being fined $75,000 in October for an illegal hit.

Seated at a table during a session with the media Thursday in the Daniel-Meyer Coliseum on the TCU campus, Harrison said he was serious about calling it quits at the time. He has vowed not to change his style of play, even though it may cost him.

He has continued to be an outspoken critic of commissioner Roger Goodell and what some players consider to be a hypocritical effort by the league to better protect players.

Harrison says he's "a little bitter" that his fourth straight Pro Bowl season has been overshadowed a bit by the $100,000 in fines he racked up during the regular season.

PFW asked Harrison, 32, how long he plans to continue playing in a league that he feels has done him wrong.

"To sit here and say I want to play as long as I can is not true," Harrison said. "I want to try to play out my contract, and if I get that done, I'm through. Like I said, everybody has to take into account their own health and think about things. With all the concussion stuff that's out, if I was that worried about it, I'd walk away right now and say, 'Here, take it. It's not worth it, and I'm worried about my health.'

"Right now I'm going to take my chances and live with whatever I have to live with later on down the line. Hope I come back better than most."

Harrison's deal, which he signed in April '09, runs through 2014.

"I'm not going to sign another contract," he said. " I don't want to be that guy at 40 having to get every joint in my body replaced because it's tore up."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...ay_through_201
Old 02-04-2011, 04:14 AM   #2
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: Steelers OLB Harrison planning to play through 2014

at least we have 3 more years with him
Old 02-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
Yep. He's right. Don't destroy your body + health.
My guess that after the 3 years he'd be on the downhill slope. I'm sure we'll have gotten another killer LB lined up.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
NCBlackWolf
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18115

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
For the love of God, I would not want to play AGAINST him if somehow the Steelers let him go and he felt the least bit slighted by us... He might be the most motivated player on the team right now because of his BS issues with the league and that egomaniac commish.
NCBlackWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

It's gonna be a sad, sad day when he retires. He's one of my all-time favorites.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

I don't believe he plays out his contract. He has 1 or 2 years left with the Steelers in my opinion. If Worilds can go in 2012, they'll move him in and Harrison out. It's a money thing. Take a look at his contract below and tell me what you think. This is the Steeler way. He's fine for 2011, but I'm doubtful he's a Steeler in 2012 and extremely doubtful he's one in 2013. If he shows any decline next year at all he's gone in 2012. We don't pay aging players $5mm+ if they are slowing down. If you need more convincing see Joey Porter, Kirkland, Lloyd, Greene, Gildon.

Harrison's base salary in 2009 is $800,000.
In 2010, which could be an uncapped year, the contract gets tricky as Harrison's base salary drops to $755,000. But he also has a reporting bonus of $2.8 million.
In 2011, Harrison's salary jumps to $3.66 million and includes $900,000 roster bonus.
In years four, five and six Harrison's salary balloons to $5.315 million, $6.32 million and $7.325 million, respectively.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote