Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-04-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Packers' Kuhn thankful to Steelers

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Packers' Kuhn thankful to Steelers

By Bob Cohn
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, February 4, 2011

DALLAS John Kuhn said he isn't mad. The Green Bay Packers fullback did not say, however, whether he wants to get even.

Some things are better left unsaid.

Kuhn, who is from York, was a member of the Steelers' practice squad in 2005 and active for nine games in 2006. He was released after the season and picked up by the Packers a day later.

The Steelers are in Super Bowl XLV on Sunday, but so are the Packers, and Kuhn should play a lot. Things worked out, perhaps explaining why he spent much of the week disavowing any ill feelings toward his former team.

"I'm extremely thankful for what Pittsburgh was able to do for me," he said. "They brought me into the league, and they gave me an opportunity. I learned how to block as an NFL fullback there. So there's a lot of positive that I take from playing in Pittsburgh for two years and no animosity for anything."

Thanks to the Steelers, who signed Kuhn as an undrafted free agent after he was named the nation's top Division II player at Shippensburg in 2004, he also owns a Super Bowl ring. That came after the 2005 season, when Kuhn never suited up for a game.

The ring is "sacred," he said, and he keeps it locked up at home but not because he fears for its security. He feels unworthy of wearing it.

"I told everyone I wanted to earn one on the field," he said.

For most of his career, Kuhn was a blocking fullback, a position rendered mostly obsolete after Mike Tomlin replaced Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh in 2007. The Steelers use tight ends to fill the role.

Kuhn, 6-foot and 255 pounds, used to be mainly a blocker for the Packers. He had no carries during his first year and 16 in the next two. But in the first game of 2010, Ryan Grant, their best ball carrier, went down with a season-ending knee injury.

That forced the Packers to turn to a committee approach. It included Brandon Jackson, Dmitri Nance, late-blooming rookie James Starks and Kuhn, who assumed a new role. He is still primarily a blocker, "but I'm not going to turn down the ball when they want to give it to me," he said.

Kuhn finished the regular season with 84 carries, second on the team, for 281 yards and four touchdowns. He added 15 catches for 97 yards and two touchdowns.

He scored three touchdowns in the Packers' season-saving 45-17 win over the New York Giants that followed two potentially crippling defeats. He also pulled off a rare double: Coach Mike McCarthy awarded Kuhn two game balls one for his work on offense, the other for special teams play.

"He is just a very good all-round football player," McCarthy said, citing Kuhn's value as a single back, split back and I-formation tailback as well as a fullback. "He's a very consistent football player and one of the smartest players on the team."

Running backs coach Edgar Bennett called Kuhn a "blue-collar, hard-working guy with a tremendous work ethic and a great attitude."

Such attributes hold special appeal for Packers fans, who have made Kuhn a cult hero of sorts, bellowing out "Kuuuuuuuuhn" when he does something they like. He said he first noticed it last year "when it started getting pretty loud" and when his teammates gave him grief over it.

"It was a running joke for a little bit," he said, but he enjoys the acknowledgment.

"Yeah, it's pretty cool and pretty special that the fans have taken to me so well," he said. "I think it has a lot to do with the road that I've traveled, and they appreciate a guy that is willing to put in the extra work."

It has been, he said, "a heck of a journey."

Bob Cohn can be reached at rcohn@tribweb.com or 412-320-7810.

Read more: Packers' Kuhn thankful to Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1CzYOw1t6
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Packers' Kuhn thankful to Steelers

The Living Legend - John Kuhn!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
caseyviator
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17468

hey i still think running with tomlins new run formations is not as good as the old fullback in the backfield. i always thought we should have played this guy much more than we ever did, and we should not have cut him. hes a bigger stronger woodhead of the pats. watch him end up beatin us and bein mvp ...damm that would suck...but i know u cant keep everyone..this goes back to willy parker for me i never understood how he would play preseason and light up opposing defenses and then hes not even on the active team...i think that went on for 2-3 years.. and we know how that turned out, i guess harrison is a similar story and u cant keep um all sucks. we have so many great players al over the league
caseyviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
tube517
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1868

Kuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn=1st Balllot HOF'er
tube517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,015 Times in 406 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
Kuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn=1st Balllot HOF'er
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

John Kuhn doesn't sleep, he waits. John Kuhn is so fast he can punch himself in the back of the head.

I know those are Chuck Norris stories but I remember how people reacted to the Steelers letting him go, brutal!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
GBpack2010
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17949
My Mood: Busy

Kuhn as improved our running game. Without him there would be no running game.
GBpack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote