Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
View Poll Results: Should Bettis and Dawson be in the HOF?
Yes to both...even if I were not a Steeler fan 20 68.97%
Yes to Bettis, No to Dawson 6 20.69%
No to Bettis, Yes to Dawson 3 10.34%
No to both...just being honest. 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Bettis and Dawson...your vote

OK. Try to be fair. I know we are Steeler fans.

In general, I feel the HOF is trying too hard now. Maybe they've run out of greats when Andre Reed, Tim Brown and Cris Carter are the highlights at receiver. (Maybe Reed deserves it).

I don't know how one evaluates an excellent center who wins no championships. Do we just go by word of mouth that people say he was hard to get by? IDK. If Dawson had been the center of a line that produced championships I would feel differently. I want him to get in because I'm a Steelers fan but honestly if it were another team, I'd say no.

For Bettis, yes...He provided years of good running. On his SB year, many say he was along for the ride...but in a few games we rode him. Because Ben made that tackle, it is a yes for me. If not, and we got no SB, I would have to say no...or at least make him wait.

The measure for HOF is supposed to be "Can the story of football be told without him?" I'm thinking for Bettis it is no but for Dawson it is yes so Bettis In, Dawson Out.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: Bettis and Dawson...your vote

I just dont understand I guess how the nfl hall of fame works. Is it different from baseball.

As someone like Dawson in Baseball, certainlly wouldnt be a 1st ballot, and probably closer to a 4th time around guy, one who deserves it, but wasnt the epitomy of the position, so to speak. 10 probowls and top rbs behind him, sort of speaks for it self.

Bettis should as Faulk should not, yet. Martin should based on yards, but he did drag it on a bit
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Martin didn't linger, I just looked him up, 10 years in the league. My bad.

I dont see how the 4 and 5 rb's dont get in the hall on this vote.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
El Nino
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17899

dawson if i had to pick
El Nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Dawson was as good as the come at that position. As good as newer fans think Pouncey is now, he does not even compare at this point.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
I just dont understand I guess how the nfl hall of fame works. Is it different from baseball.

As someone like Dawson in Baseball, certainlly wouldnt be a 1st ballot, and probably closer to a 4th time around guy, one who deserves it, but wasnt the epitomy of the position, so to speak. 10 probowls and top rbs behind him, sort of speaks for it self.
I am not taking anything away from Dawson because players say he was excellent and we always did have good running but I don't put much stock into probowls for linemen. They are not well know by everyone. Because there are no stats, once you make it people keep voting for you because they've heard you are good. Nick Mangold and Pouncey will likely keep making the ProBowl a lot.

For me, being the staple of a line for a championship team would be different.

I just think they are trying too hard. Dion and Falk are obvious choices. They shouldn't feel they should have a minimum quota.

The question is supposed to be "Can the story of football be told without the player?" I think the story of football could be told without Dawson. Even though the Steelers had great running, the running was irrelevant because it brought no championships so it doesn't matter how good Bam Morris and Barry Foster, etc. ran. Who cares? Without a championship, to impact the story of football, I guess you would have to have changed the image of the position or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Dawson was as good as the come at that position. As good as newer fans think Pouncey is now, he does not even compare at this point.
IDK. I really think HOF should be for "Legends". It's just hard to be a legend withouth a championship or being so dominant you changed how offenses or defenses planned for you or you caused rule changes. I guess I'm just conservative. i don't want HOF to just mean "Hey, he was pretty good."

BTW, I think Hines will be first ballot HOF now...especially if he can get 1 TD in this game and a win. He was already going to make it for being the most dominant WR blocker and forcing the rule change...but not necessarily first ballot. He was injured last SB so was not much of a factor (writers don't remember that stuff). He can stamp things with a nice performance here. First ballot for sure.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Defenses had to plan for Dawson....Cowher depended on him heavily!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,206 Times in 483 Posts

Bettis is not getting in looking at this year's class. He'll prob get in, in 2-5 years.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Defenses had to plan for Dawson....Cowher depended on him heavily!
Yeah. I guess that's cool. I guess he did at least help us win an AFC championship. By the way, he only had 7 pro bowls...not 10.

I just feel the story of football could be told without him.

They need to stop this 7 /year quota. I want it to be elite.

He belongs maybe in the Steelers HOF. The story of the Steelers (esp the Cowher years) cannot be told without him but the Story of the NFL could. I just hate it the way they do it. This way everyone will be in the HOF. I think for non stat positions with rare exception, Championships should be part of it. For stat positions, it is easy to see if someone leads the league for 5 years in a row in something.

By the way, Steeler fan love Jeff Hartings too. Does he belong in the HOF too? At least he won a SB. Wouldn't be able to put him in without Dawson. I say no to both now. maybe 10 years from now reconsider.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
steelerjim58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14701

As great a guy as Jerome was, and as nimble as he was for a man his size, he only had 2-3 seasons of what I would consider HoF worthy. Dawson I believe was considered the best center of his era. IMO he should have been 1st ballot. For me though I would do away with all of the Halls of Fame. It's just to subjective, the fact that someone didn't vote for Willie Mays or Hank Aaron shows what a joke these things are. And for me a player would be in the first time or not at all. You are either HoF worthy or you are not.
steelerjim58 is offline   Reply With Quote