Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
Steelboy84
Banned
 
Steelboy84's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,962
Gender: Male
Member Number: 13983
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Ike Taylor and Steelers in contract talks

The Steelers and cornerback Ike Taylor are discussing a new contract to keep the pending free agent in Pittsburgh, the Tribune-Review reported Friday.

Taylor, a six-year starter who would be one of the top free agents at his position, talked about the prospects of a new deal Thursday during the players' final media availability before Sunday's Super Bowl against the Green Bay Packers.

"There have been conversations," Taylor said in Fort Worth, Texas. "I've talked with a few people in this organization about remaining here. They know I want to retire as a Steeler.

"I've been telling them I want to be here since the beginning of the season. Now it's getting down to this point."

The Steelers have plenty of financial incentive to sign Taylor to a long-term contract sooner than later. Using a franchise tag on Taylor could cost them close to $10 million next season, the Tribune-Review noted.


http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/0...re-in-progress
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
isunormalil
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 58
Member Number: 16153
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ike Taylor and Steelers in contract talks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelboy84 View Post
The Steelers and cornerback Ike Taylor are discussing a new contract to keep the pending free agent in Pittsburgh, the Tribune-Review reported Friday.

Taylor, a six-year starter who would be one of the top free agents at his position, talked about the prospects of a new deal Thursday during the players' final media availability before Sunday's Super Bowl against the Green Bay Packers.

"There have been conversations," Taylor said in Fort Worth, Texas. "I've talked with a few people in this organization about remaining here. They know I want to retire as a Steeler.

"I've been telling them I want to be here since the beginning of the season. Now it's getting down to this point."

The Steelers have plenty of financial incentive to sign Taylor to a long-term contract sooner than later. Using a franchise tag on Taylor could cost them close to $10 million next season, the Tribune-Review noted.


http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/0...re-in-progress


No way you franchise Taylor. You would sign Nnamdi Asomugha before you pay Taylor that kind of franchise dough. Taylor is solid...but not top 5 cb material.
isunormalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
SteelKnight
Team President
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,256
Member Number: 16119
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ike Taylor and Steelers in contract talks

Quote:
Originally Posted by isunormalil View Post
No way you franchise Taylor. You would sign Nnamdi Asomugha before you pay Taylor that kind of franchise dough. Taylor is solid...but not top 5 cb material.
That's a good point. I wish we could get both. We would be an instant Dynasty. BMac is definitely the weak link on the team. Maybe he would be a good nickel CB competing with Gay and Butler for that spot.

I wish wish wish Nmandi would just say forget the money and come play for us for 7 mill per year.
__________________
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach
 
Riddle_Of_Steel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 1,698
Gender: Male
Member Number: 13727
Thanks: 2
Thanked 570 Times in 301 Posts
Default Re: Ike Taylor and Steelers in contract talks

Quote:
Originally Posted by isunormalil View Post
No way you franchise Taylor. You would sign Nnamdi Asomugha before you pay Taylor that kind of franchise dough. Taylor is solid...but not top 5 cb material.
Taylor is MOST CERTAINLY a top 5 cornerback, his only knock is that he has hands like bricks and never makes the interception. He routinely gets the other team's #1 WR, and for the most part, holds them pretty much to a few catches for maybe 20 or 30 yards.
__________________
GO STEELERS!!
"On the S-2-7 train"
Riddle_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
mcg24
Bench Warmer
 
mcg24's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 376
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17631
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ike Taylor and Steelers in contract talks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Taylor is MOST CERTAINLY a top 5 cornerback, his only knock is that he has hands like bricks and never makes the interception. He routinely gets the other team's #1 WR, and for the most part, holds them pretty much to a few catches for maybe 20 or 30 yards.
Come on, top 5? No way. You can make an argument for top 10, but not top 5.
__________________
Deserves got nothin to do with it.
mcg24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
OX1947
Living Legend
 
OX1947's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,560
Member Number: 723
Thanks: 136
Thanked 968 Times in 518 Posts
Default Re: Ike Taylor and Steelers in contract talks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg24 View Post
Come on, top 5? No way. You can make an argument for top 10, but not top 5.
He has top 5 cover ability but quite possible bottom 5 of all time hands. Corners have to get INTs. He has 11 freakin INTs in 8 years.Thats a little over 1 INT a year. Come on. I sign him, but he isnt top 5 money.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter
 
Rotorhead's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,704
Gender: Male
Member Number: 703
Thanks: 103
Thanked 454 Times in 266 Posts
Default Re: Ike Taylor and Steelers in contract talks

I can see top 10 but I dont think top 5. IF he could catch then he would be close if not in the top 5.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter
 
pete74's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,256
Member Number: 15921
Thanks: 82
Thanked 402 Times in 213 Posts
Default Re: Ike Taylor and Steelers in contract talks

Taylor is a top 8 corner in my mind. cover wise he is really good and he really excels in helping stop the run and tackeling were most corners suck in that area. actually i would probably say there are8 corners i would rather have but i would never want to see Taylor leave. hopefully he agrees to a fair price.

regardless if we sign him we need to draft a corner in the first 2 rounds
__________________
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
MDSteel15
Team President
 
MDSteel15's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Like a nomad, I live where I park at night...
Posts: 2,186
Gender: Male
Member Number: 8170
Thanks: 810
Thanked 235 Times in 169 Posts
Default Re: Ike Taylor and Steelers in contract talks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
I wish wish wish Nmandi would just say forget the money and come play for us for 7 mill per year.
If he is as smart as he tries to sound, he would do this! But money changes peoples perception of what they want...
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
austinfrench76
Head Coach
 
austinfrench76's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,557
Member Number: 3516
Thanks: 716
Thanked 435 Times in 264 Posts
Default Re: Ike Taylor and Steelers in contract talks

Top 10, not 5, only because of his hands. The problem with Ike is that he has games and in some cases season where he is absolutely unbelievable and becasue he draws the other teams best recievers he will occasionally get beat. WORST HANDS EVER though!!!!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts