Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Harrison's reputation alone could affect Rodgers, Packers

Harrison's reputation alone could affect Rodgers, Packers
http://www.cbssports.com/print/nfl/s...n-precedes-him
By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
Feb. 4, 2011Tell Clark your opinion!

DALLAS -- It's Super Bowl I for Aaron Rodgers, and the Green Bay quarterback insists he's not concerned about nerves. Good. That's how it should be. But he better be concerned about James Harrison.

The Pittsburgh linebacker is the NFL's poster child for head-hunting, fined so many times for helmet-to-helmet hits that he claimed the league was trying to single him out, shut him down and change his game.

I don't believe it, and I don't know if anyone outside the Steelers' locker room does, either. But I do know this: Harrison poses a clear and present danger to Rodgers, and the reason is those helmet-to-helmet hits.

Nobody does it better than Harrison, right? At least, that's what the NFL tells us. Well, now he opposes a quarterback who suffered two concussions this season.

Connect the dots: One Harrison blow to Rodgers' head, and the Packers can start warming up Matt Flynn.

I'm not saying that happens, but it could, and that should have Green Bay's attention because violent hits are part of a game Harrison said he won't change to satisfy the NFL.

"You're looking at maybe five or six plays," he said, "in the course of 900-1,000 plays a year, or 7,000 or 8,000 plays over the course of my career, and they're trying to pick out five or six plays that were questionable to them?

"If you go through the course, week in and week out, that guys play in, you'll see guys that hit quarterbacks the same way that I do ... if not worse ... and they aren't flagged. And they aren't fined, either. Like I said, they needed somebody to implement their rule, and they decided to come make it me."

OK, fine. That's his take. Here's mine: By making Harrison a target ... by "singling" him out, as he claims ... the NFL inadvertently put Harrison and the Steelers at an advantage and the Green Bay Packers on edge.

Think about it. When the Packers consider what to do with Harrison and how to handle the guy, they can't help but consider what he has done -- and what he did vs. Cleveland this season was hammer Josh Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi so hard that each suffered a concussion.

That's when the NFL stepped in, Harrison was outraged and a reputation was made.

"Rodney Harrison benefited from it, and so did Bryan Cox," an AFC head coach said. "Oftentimes if you get that reputation, it's a good thing because when you get more attention, guys are going to be more wary of you. So the thought of getting hit by you is almost worse than getting hit by you.

"Result: Guys will drop balls or not do things in your area because they're concerned about that. It's kind of like airplane crashes. There aren't that many of them, but you don't want to be on the one that crashes."

The problem with trying to defend Harrison is that there's an equally effective -- and destructive -- linebacker on the other side in LaMarr Woodley. He not only was a half-sack behind Harrison this season, he's the first NFL player anywhere to produce 10 sacks in his first six playoff games.

But there's a difference. Harrison has a reputation. Woodley does not.

"Being singled out sometimes is not bad," Woodley said, "because it's playing out across SportsCenter and all across the big news channels. So now other players are thinking, 'If we come across the middle, this guy might knock me out.' So you think twice about catching that ball.

"Which means it can definitely work in your favor. Guys are thinking more about the hit than actually catching the ball."

Forget the people catching the ball. I'm talking about the guy slinging it. Aaron Rodgers, consider yourself warned.

"A history of concussions has nothing to do with it," Harrison said. "You want to get after the quarterback, and if the quarterback can sit back there and pass like it's seven-on-seven, then you're not doing your job. We need to get pressure on [Rodgers] to throw him off his timing and to throw him off his game. It has nothing to do with concussions."

The heck it doesn't. It has everything to do with concussions. Aaron Rodgers, do yourself a favor. Next time James Harrison comes calling, duck.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019
Default Re: Harrison's reputation alone could affect Rodgers, Packers

Come onn.. he's harmless. Wouldn't hurt a fly

Old 02-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
"You're looking at maybe five or six plays," he said, "in the course of 900-1,000 plays a year, or 7,000 or 8,000 plays over the course of my career, and they're trying to pick out five or six plays that were questionable to them?

"If you go through the course, week in and week out, that guys play in, you'll see guys that hit quarterbacks the same way that I do ... if not worse ... and they aren't flagged. And they aren't fined, either. Like I said, they needed somebody to implement their rule, and they decided to come make it me."
again, this bears repeating ~ from James Harrison's Fan Page on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/JamesHarriso...75590849135529

Quote:
"I am doing my job the same exact way I did my job in 2008 when the League honored me with the Defensive Player of the Year Award."
Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

"I am doing my job the same exact way I did my job in 2008 when the League honored me with the Defensive Player of the Year Award."

EXACTLY.

All the other crap aside, like the way the NFL was selling pictures of those hits, or trying to propogate this lie that they actually care about the players, the fact that the same style of play that once garnered Defensive Player of the Year awards, has taken a 180 degree turn and is now yielding fines should be a real eye-opener....
Old 02-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,489 Times in 3,733 Posts

James Harrison has broken out of the sports pages to become the face of the violent world of pro football

This from TIME magazine's article on the game

A Guide to Looking Smart About the Super Bowl

An Eye on One Angry Man: Steelers linebacker James Harrison (No. 92) seems quite surly these days. Early this season, the NFL started cracking down on violent hits that can cause head injuries, but Harrison spoke out, saying he'd rather retire than change his playing style. He quickly recanted his threat — no surprise there — but never reformed his game. Harrison racked up more than $100,000 in fines this season. "I'm not going to let a couple of people who happen to have a higher position run me out of the game," Harrison says. "The guys that are making these decisions, most of them haven't played a down of NFL football in their life. Whether guys are making $100 million or $50 million, $100,000 is $100,000. That's a lot of money." This week Harrison called the NFL's safety measures "a show" and sarcastically suggested that the league "lay down a pillow" on the football field.

Will Harrison take his anger out on the Packers? Will he cause a concussion in front of more than 100 million TV viewers? "He's the most physical, ****sure player in the NFL," says Tucker. "Watch him for the brutality of football." Though you may need to close your eyes.

http://www.time.com/time/arts/articl...046271,00.html
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
El Nino
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
Come onn.. he's harmless. Wouldn't hurt a fly

he looks like shaq in that pic lol
El Nino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
SteelersBry79
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16070

The only way Harrison will not get to Rodgers is if GB blatantly holds him and nothing's called, which has been the case for the past 2 years.
SteelersBry79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #8
mcg24
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17631

One of our games against the Bengals this year...I believe it was the first one, I think the player was Jordan Shipley had a chance to catch a first down near the end of the game over the middle and pretty much win the ball game. Well he dropped it, and I can't help but imagine he was thinking about getting absolutely plastered into next week. That intimidation alone can sometimes win ball games.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:57 AM   #9
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

I just had a great idea. Why not surprise the Pack and put Harrison on the left for the first half facing Bulaga? they've probably been planning all week to deal with him. At halftime when they make the adjustment, put him back on the right.

They could at least do it for the first series to confuse the Pack and make them nervous.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:13 AM   #10
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Some of his fines were bogus (like the body slam of Young) or the Cleveland hit (player lowered himself) but if a player launches with their helmet (like Clark does a lot) and hits another player in the helmet, I agree with the fine. There are just too many concussions. In hockey they can be out almost a month (Crosby). The NFL has allowed neck and shoulder injuries too. It just needs to stop.

If a player the other player lowers himself and gets hit, that is different. You can also tell. If the tackler is looking at the player, (not launching with the top of the helmet hitting the player first), that is better.

So I agree with about half the fines/penalties.