Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-05-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313
Default Humes potential

I read on this guys scouting report. In the report it didnt have to much negative things to say. I wonder why he slipped down to the 7th round. And what do you all think of the chances of him being the next bettis
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:42 PM   #2
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: Humes potential

His speed is what caused him to fall. The next Bettis I highly doubt that. Jerome is a Hall of Famer. I think Humes has some potential and could have a productive NFL career though.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Humes fell right into our laps on Day 2 of the draft. He was projected as high as a 4th rounder by some boards but fortunately he fell to us. He's the sleeper of our draft this year, he could be something special..
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

I would love another hard nose hard pounding running back. One of the reasons why i dont like willie parker is because he isnt a traditional steeler running back. Am i the only one who has a hard time watching a speed back in our backfield
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
RichmondVA
Banned

Member Number: 540

Hokie grad... Hokie fan... He was the third best back on the team (fourth if you count Marcus Vick as one). So, easy there with any Jerome replacement hopes and dreams! I don't see lightning stricking twice - at the same position (reference - Willie was not the featured back at UNC).
RichmondVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:10 PM   #6
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

You can easily look at Hume's average yard per carry and see that he is a player. Was 4.6 or something which is pretty damn good !! He was in a system where they had a QB that could run as a weapon so i think if he was on a different team, His carries owuldh ave been up and he would have had alot higher rushing stats. His coach used him in a way in which we would as well. He was on a team that had 3 decent running backs so no crazy stats, but if you watch him play, he had some very impressive runs and wasnt afraid of anyone. I think he will make the team and could easily develope into a role that we would use on short yardage and to help close out games. I think was a definate steal in 7th and Hoak will make him an even better running back.
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
dSharp
Water Boy

Member Number: 2302

Quote:
I would love another hard nose hard pounding running back. One of the reasons why i dont like willie parker is because he isnt a traditional steeler running back. Am i the only one who has a hard time watching a speed back in our backfield
Speed gives you big play ability. Willie is the kind of back who (with some seasoning) will be able to get those 3-5 yards per carry, but on any given play, he can take it to the house. It's a huge advantage to have a back like that at our disposal. A big back is what we've had for years and years, and it's done so much for us. If you look at the NFL today, though, the game is getting faster, and you need to have that big play possiblity on every down.

The whole thunder and lighting approach to the running game is so much more effective than anything we've done in the last 10 years, it should provoke the thought that Willie (a home run back) is what we've been missing. I don't know, man. To know we have a weapon like that is just so exciting.

Don't get me wrong though, tradition is tradition. The power running game is the heart and soul of our offense, and I'm sure that power back will show up this season somewhere along the line. Just try to remember that we're using a two back system now. I think our offense is so much more dangerous with Willie being a part of that system.

ps. I like Humes, too. I watched a few of his games when I was down in Uniontown and I thought he was decent. I also think he looked real good at the Senior Bowl. I think he had a touchdown and a couple nice receptions.
dSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:39 PM   #8
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D
I read on this guys scouting report. In the report it didnt have to much negative things to say. I wonder why he slipped down to the 7th round. And what do you all think of the chances of him being the next bettis
Bettis. No. But we got him for a bag of peanuts. If his future net production matches Verron's then we're happy.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:49 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,306 Times in 3,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt
Bettis. No. But we got him for a bag of peanuts. If his future net production matches Verron's then we're happy.
bettis, r. waters, and l. johnson? were like the rushing attack of l. white and r. bush coming out of college. (not to compare any of these runners to bush) point is, humes is one of the last players taken in the draft and jerome was one of the 1st. theres a reason.

humes is probably the back who can put up numbers like jerome did 2 years ago in the opener vs. oak though. 3 td's with 1 yd rushing.
i doubt he will be wearing brian urlacher for a back pack any time soon though
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:11 PM   #10
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

He was one of like 3 big backs available...that's why i targetted him, and, aparently the Steelers still feel the same way.

Not to toot my horn, but...

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...t=cedric+humes
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote