Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-05-2011, 03:45 AM   #1
SacknificentStew56
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16658
Default Lil Wayne Calls 'Green And Yellow' 'Perfect' Comeback Remix

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/165...d-yellow.jhtml

Lil Wayne Calls 'Green And Yellow' 'Perfect' Comeback Remix
New Orleans MC also maintains he's always been pro-Packers since his father brought home swag from the 1997 Super Bowl.
By Mawuse Ziegbe (@mawuseziegbe)

When the Green Bay Packers go up against the Pittsburgh Steelers at the Super Bowl on Sunday, the Wisconsin heavyweights will have the support of Lil Wayne, who recently dropped the Packers-pride anthem "Green and Yellow." Weezy's revamp of Wiz Khalifa's Steelers-pumping hit, "Black and Yellow," surfaced online Thursday, and on Friday morning (February 4), the MC opened up about the whirlwind creation of the track.

Sporting a dark-green Packers shirt and spectacles with his long dreads in thick braids, Wayne explained his reasons for crafting "Green and Yellow" on ESPN's "First Take."

"What happened was I was watching some of those Steelers on media day, and one of them said, after they was finished doing their interview, 'Black and yellow, black and yellow.' I was like, 'You know what? I'm such a Cheesehead, such a Packer fan, I might as well go in there and make 'Green and Yellow,' " he said. Then the process from an idea in Weezy's head to a full-fledged remix moved swiftly, with Wayne releasing the track just a day after catching the Steelers on Tuesday. "I made it last night. I made it the night before last. I made it, and we just went viral with it."

While Wayne maintained the track is "not a dis song at all. It's a fight song," he admitted he's been getting some flak for the record. However, most of the negative feedback hasn't been from riled-up Steelers supporters, but rather New Orleans Saints fans who think Wayne should be showing more hometown love.

"I talked to [Packers player] Ryan Grant, and he was very thankful, like, 'We needed that.' I talked to [Steelers player] Ike Taylor, and he was kinda upset, 'cause, you know, he's from New Orleans. We went to the same high school together. A lot of people in New Orleans was upset because they expected me to be a big Saints fan, but I never was," Wayne admitted.

For fans confused by the "6 Foot 7 Foot" MC's allegiance to Green Bay, Wayne explained that rooting for the Packers is a family tradition.

"I've been a Packers fan. My father, my great, late father, he went to his first Super Bowl in 1997 when the Packers was in the Super Bowl in the Superdome. When he came home that night, he just came home with a bunch of Packers everything. Packers towels, Packers cups, so, you know, and I'm from the 'hood, and so we used those cups as dishes. We used those cups. So I remember drinking out of Packers cups for years, so I've been a Packers fan for years. I would get the 'John Madden' game, and Brett Favre was on the front of the cover, and I've been a Packers fan," Wayne recalled. "I don't want to be one of those Saints fans that became a Saints fan when they went to the Super Bowl. Everybody know the Saints been terrible for a long time, so I've been a Packers fan."

The remix marks the first time Weezy has reworked someone else's track since he was released from prison in November. The MC said he rode back into the remix game on Wiz's track because of its connection to the sports world.

"I actually thought it was coincidentally perfect, because the song ended up being a quote-unquote 'fight song' for the Steelers. I just thought I'd remix it," he explained. "I haven't done the remix to nobody's song, and I'm kinda popular for that. I'm popular for doing a remix to everybody's song, and since I came home from my vacation, I haven't done a remix to anybody's song, so I was like, 'This is the perfect first song to do it to.' "

Even though he jumped on Wiz's record, Wayne seemed to be down with challenging the Pittsburgh MC and fellow Steelers fan Snoop Dogg who appeared on the "Black and Yellow" G-Mix to a bet on Sunday's match. But instead of forking over cash, Weezy proposed that the lyricists part with a signature part of their image.

"If they wanna make a wager I would say ... we all got long hair ... so whoever loses should cut their hair," Wayne said coolly.

What do you think of Wayne's "Green and Yellow" track? Let us know in the comments!

45 3 0 More | Comment On This Article ..
SacknificentStew56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,287 Times in 572 Posts
Default Re: Lil Wayne Calls 'Green And Yellow' 'Perfect' Comeback Remix

I've given this a lot of thought and here's what I think of Lil' Wayne:

FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,467 Times in 602 Posts

Honestly? I think their BOTH retarded! We'll be settling our rap-sheet on the field this Sunday. Nerves are setting in, it's almost go-time. Lil Wayne or whatever his name is can suck on his own sausage for all I care! Dumb Rat-birds fan.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

I actually think Green and Yellow is better because the words are football related and make more sense.

1. I know Khalif didn't make the song for the Steelers specifically
2. I don't know why Khalif's label let Lil Wayne use the music and style of the song. They must have gotten permission. It might even be the same label...wouldn't surprise me...more pub is more pub...just like when MTV was battling VH1 and you find out they are both owned by Viacom...lol
Old 02-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

weak. You can't even think up your OWN city/sports anthem? You have to borrow (copy) from Khalifa??? Good grief.....
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
weak. You can't even think up your OWN city/sports anthem? You have to borrow (copy) from Khalifa??? Good grief.....
Not gonna lie. The words are cooler because they are football related. I don't know WTF Khalifa is talking about.

ETA: Oh...I just heard the GMix of Black and yellow and I like it a lot. The original was boring. Now i like it.

Last edited by SteelKnight; 02-05-2011 at 09:27 AM.
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
I actually think Green and Yellow is better because the words are football related and make more sense.

1. I know Khalif didn't make the song for the Steelers specifically
2. I don't know why Khalif's label let Lil Wayne use the music and style of the song. They must have gotten permission. It might even be the same label...wouldn't surprise me...more pub is more pub...just like when MTV was battling VH1 and you find out they are both owned by Viacom...lol
The ones some underground rappers made for the Jets and Ravens were football related too...what sets those apart from Green and Yellow? They don't suck as bad as Lil' Wayne. Yeah, I know he's famous (for whatever reason), but dude sounds like he's rapping through a busted up nose. His voice annoys the shit out of me, therefore I haven't been able to get through more than thirty seconds of the song lol.

1. Correct, Khalifa's version wasn't about the Steelers specifically. Just repping himself and the city.

2. You don't need permission to do a parody, which is technically what Wayne did. Example...Weird Al never needed permission to do any of his parody songs. It's even more legal when you're only doing it for youtube.

As far as labels go...Lil' Wayne is under Cash Money and Young Money (both owned by Universal Motown Records). Wiz is under Atlantic Records (subsidiary of Warner Music Group).

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
Agreed. And not to mention the fact that it's not even original to copy Black and Yellow anymore.

Pretty sad and pathetic IMO, more so when someone famous does it. Just shows lack of talent in my eyes.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
steelers33
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17599

Yah livin in Wisconsin this is all I have been hearing for the past few days.
steelers33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post

2. You don't need permission to do a parody, which is technically what Wayne did. Example...Weird Al never needed permission to do any of his parody songs. It's even more legal when you're only doing it for youtube.
Hmmm...I didn't think of it as a parody. I always thought weird all got permission but I figured they gave it to him because it only boosts the popularity of their original song and they were obvious "spoofs". This song I don't really see as a spoof but then again...

I need to look of parody rules...what defines it.

I didn't realize there were Jets and Raven versions. I'd like to listen. Do you know the names?